Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

What to do with a book missing a page?863

Collector adgbiking private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everyone!

I recently found myself in a situation where I purchased a copy of Superman #12 from 1941. The book ended up missing the last page which I somehow overlooked before I purchased the book and sent it to CGC. (I know I should have counted the pages ) Anyway the book came back from CGC as a 4.0 Qualified Grade with a note that the last page is missing and that it does not effect the story. Well now I am trying to weigh my options. If I am able to find myself a coverless or incomplete copy of Superman #12 with the last page/wrap intact should I marry this page/wrap to my graded copy? This would then make the book restored I would assume? Should I just tape the page into the book because tape is not considered restoration? Should I just put the page in the book and leave it not attached? I'm not sure how this would effect the grade if I had the book regraded. Anyways it would be great to get some advice!

Thanks!

Aaron
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
If it doesn't affect the story, who cares, leave it as is.
Post 2 IP   flag post
For sure! I hear you. The only reason for asking is considering resale value. I ending up may over paying for the book because of the missing page. I am just trying to figure out if there is anyway to increase the value of the book or if I am just SOL. Thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgbiking
For sure! I hear you. The only reason for asking is considering resale value. I ending up may over paying for the book because of the missing page

Oh yeah, thats a good point. Have you tried to return it?
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a CL buy so I think im kinda SOL with that option lol. The persons selling the book were not collectors just received the book from a parent
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Considering you got the book off craigslist, I doubt you will lose money on the resale (Unless you paid a ton for it of course).

Even with the last page missing that is still a huge key book for someone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If you can find a suitable doner book with that wrap intact and marry it, it is considered restoration. But I think that would be considered minor restoration? If you got it slabbed by CBCS after marrying it they will give it a blue label and note the resto.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Matterus023 has a Hulk with a married wrap that got a green label.
Thinking about it, I'm now wondering how it got green and not purple. I understand how one gets a blue instead of a green (if they wish), but I didn't think one could get either a green or purple.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Green versus Purple can be extremely complicated. The CGC boards have a great in depth discussion of Green vs Blue.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4421055#Post4421055
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
Green versus Purple can be extremely complicated. The CGC boards have a great in depth discussion of Green vs Blue.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4421055#Post4421055

Especially when reading a Green vs Blue thread. LOL :poke:
Post 10 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I thought I would start with Green vs. Blue before bringing in the big guns.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Thinking about it, I'm now wondering how it got green and not purple. I understand how one gets a blue instead of a green (if they wish), but I didn't think one could get either a green or purple.

I always thought the Green label was for ONE big problem that wasn't really restoration per se. If you rip a page out of a 9.8 book, you wouldn't call that restoration, If someone signs your book unwitnessed, you wouldn't call it color touch, would you? I think the Green label is for instances like this.

Not really sure about the Hulk though - it might have been graded like the page was missing?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

I always thought the Green label was for ONE big problem that wasn't really restoration per se. If you rip a page out of a 9.8 book, you wouldn't call that restoration, If someone signs your book unwitnessed, you wouldn't call it color touch, would you? I think the Green label is for instances like this.

This is a good way to sum it up.

It is usually something missing (e.g. coupon clipped or page missing that does not affect the story), or something that has been added but not altered (e.g. a married original page).
Post 13 IP   flag post
I was looking at category one (which mentions missing wrap) but didn't notice category three showing that married covers or pages get green labels.

Learning rocks!

Still surprised this isn't resto, though. Not that it matters.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Considering you got the book off craigslist, I doubt you will lose money on the resale (Unless you paid a ton for it of course).

Even with the last page missing that is still a huge key book for someone.

I actally paid $675 for the book I figured the book was about a 4.0 - 5.0 so I figured it was worth the case. I have attempted to sell the book for $500 OBO to just cut my loses and put the money toward a book im more interested in like a hulk 181 or something. Anyways if anyone is looking for a Superman #12! Lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding resto, qualified, conserved etc etc it can boggle the mind. Just when you think you have it sussed the goal posts are changed.

Many have varying opinions on it all but the resale value varies a lot between the 3 mentioned.

@DarthLego I could be wrong but I don't think CBCS put resto on a comic with just married pages. Seen even ones with trimmed pages and married and says TRIMMED where resto goes. Think they just put MARRIED. Will try find an example

Ok so just found this. Trimmed and married but not classed as restored.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRANGE-TALES-2-GRADE-CBCS-3-COMPLETE-/162029545558?hash=item25b9b6a856&nma=true&si=S6Xc2HSuLcMZo2GYJWH6zJnjHbQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 16 IP   flag post
What do you figure CBCS would grade the book the way it is with the missing page? A .3?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

I recently found myself in a situation where I purchased a copy of Superman #12 from 1941. The book ended up missing the last page which I somehow overlooked before I purchased the book and sent it to CGC. (I know I should have counted the pages ) Anyway the book came back from CGC as a 4.0 Qualified Grade with a note that the last page is missing and that it does not effect the story. Well now I am trying to weigh my options. If I am able to find myself a coverless or incomplete copy of Superman #12 with the last page/wrap intact should I marry this page/wrap to my graded copy? This would then make the book restored I would assume? Should I just tape the page into the book because tape is not considered restoration? Should I just put the page in the book and leave it not attached? I'm not sure how this would effect the grade if I had the book regraded. Anyways it would be great to get some advice!

Thanks!

Aaron

This is as far as I know it

1. If you marry professionally a page from somewhere else it isn't resto no. Well as the comic doesn't have anything else going on with it

2. If you just tape another page in they will also know by the subtle differences this page is from another copy. Will also class as married.

3. If yuo just place it in will class as say 5th page detached (some people careful cut singles out) which will also be qualified or blue label if you ask or not lol. This one can be an awkward one as seen them come back all sorts. If centerfold detached is also qualified

But as @Mr_SigS pointed out earlier you can ask (with CGC anyway) that they give a blue label instead of green (in cgc's case green). You will get a lower grade but blue.

CBCS and CGC have different approaches and label systems. Best thing to do is contact CBCS directly. Good luck
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
What do you figure CBCS would grade the book the way it is with the missing page? A .3?

It would be a 0.5 incomplete book with CBCS.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on

This is where CGC really wins out with their qualified label system in my opinion.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on

This where CGC really wins out with their qualified label system in my opinion.

Again spot on. One more comment for 3 spot ons. A home run
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on

This where CGC really wins out with their qualified label system in my opinion.

Again spot on. One more comment for 3 spot ons. A home run

Matt, now you got me blushing.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Kinzebac or maybe you are wrong and with my limited knowledge I am supporting your false statements bahaha

Qualified is such a mess at times though. Seen so many variations and wording on comics with the exact same things going on
Post 24 IP   flag post
Actually I am not sure what CBCS does with say single pages just placed in. Does anyone know. I know CGC used to just downgrade say 1.0 point and give blue at times or green depending on the day or customer.

But what does CBCS do if a single placed in?????
Post 25 IP   flag post
@matterus023 you're are correct, CBCS will put "Married" on the label rather than "Restored." Sorry for any confusion, what I should have said is they will note the resto by putting married on the label.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@matterus023 you're are correct, CBCS will put "Married" on the label rather than "Restored." Sorry for any confusion, what I should have said is they will note the resto by putting married on the label.

But it isn't resto. According to some
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Actually I am not sure what CBCS does with say single pages just placed in. Does anyone know. I know CGC used to just downgrade say 1.0 point and give blue at times or green depending on the day or customer.

But what does CBCS do if a single placed in?????

You placed in, but still detached? That's a good question.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@matterus023 well I guess that's why CBCS just puts "married" on the label.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!

Aaron

This is as far as I know it

1. If you marry professionally a page from somewhere else it isn't resto no. Well as the comic doesn't have anything else going on with it

I'm with Mr Sigs, I can't understand why married pages aren't restoration. You're taking a page from one book and putting in into another book that was incomplete. That's restored to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's just semantics. IIRC, CBCS doesn't label trimming as restoration because it's actually the opposite, it's destruction.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601292 131 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.