Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

Shazam title splash page signed Don Newton 1982 question8622

Collector major99 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at a nice Shazam title splash page from 1982 signed by Don Newton. Very cool! Dan Adkins inks. I notice in the item description that Don also worked on Aquaman, Batman and The Phantom. My memory is foggy, but I seem to recall that Don Newton took over for Jack Kirby's Fourth World when Jack left DC to go back to work for Marvel. Is that correct, or am I thinking of someone else?

Here's a link to the page.

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions%2Easp%3FIDuser%3D%26col%3Da%252EMaxBid&id=1305455
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I think he took over New Gods starting with issue 12 in 1977.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Did Newton do any other Fourth World titles besides New Gods?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It's not exactly accurate to say that Newton "took over" Kirby's 4th world at DC when Kirby went back to Marvel. DC had cancelled all but one of the 4th World titles by 1972. Jimmy Olsen also went back to normal "Superman's Pal..." stories in 1972 and was no longer part of Kirby's 4th World. Mister Miracle continued on alone until early 1974 when it was cancelled. Then DC published a one shot of the New Gods in April 1976 with 1st Issue Special 13. This issue had art by Mike Vosburg.

Another year went by (1977) and DC attempted a revival of two of the 4th World titles - New Gods and Mister Miracle. Marshall Rogers then later Micheal Golden did the art on the Mister Miracle revival. Newton and Atkins did all but one issue of New Gods 12-19. Mister Miracle and New Gods were both cancelled in 1978 - same time as the DC Implosion. But do not count as part of the DC implosion as the cancellations were planned.

I'm not aware of Newton doing any other work on Kirby's 4th world titles or characters, but have not done any sort of exhaustive search either.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
It's not exactly accurate to say that Newton "took over" Kirby's 4th world at DC when Kirby went back to Marvel. DC had cancelled all but one of the 4th World titles by 1972. Jimmy Olsen also went back to normal "Superman's Pal..." stories in 1972 and was no longer part of Kirby's 4th World. Mister Miracle continued on alone until early 1974 when it was cancelled. Then DC published a one shot of the New Gods in April 1976 with 1st Issue Special 13. This issue had art by Mike Vosburg.

Another year went by (1977) and DC attempted a revival of two of the 4th World titles - New Gods and Mister Miracle. Marshall Rogers then later Micheal Golden did the art on the Mister Miracle revival. Newton and Atkins did all but one issue of New Gods 12-19. Mister Miracle and New Gods were both cancelled in 1978 - same time as the DC Implosion. But do not count as part of the DC implosion as the cancellations were planned.

I'm not aware of Newton doing any other work on Kirby's 4th world titles or characters, but have not done any sort of exhaustive search either.

Some great information. Thank you!
Post 5 IP   flag post
601245 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?