Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee signatures8577

Collector metaljeff private msg quote post Address this user
I still can't understand why people are paying big money for Stan Lee's signatures. He's probably the most common signature in the comic industry. I would estimate that Stan was signing upwards in the 10,000+ signatures per year for many years. His signature isn't rare now and it will never be. Think of it like this. The 1991 X-Men #1 was never rare and has a 0 investment potential even after over 25 years later. When do you think that a Stan Lee signature will be worth more than someone is paying for it now??
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think you might miss that some people buy things to have them...not to make money. I tend to collect things I hope turn out to do decently but that is not my prime mover for items I buy just for me......for instance I paid a small fortune for an X-Men 50 signed by steranko in 8.5......because it had to be that book in that grade and with the way he signed it. I may never see a profit in it but then my thought is since it was something I bought especially for me I will likely die owning it anyways...what it sells for once I am buried is hardly a concern.
I would never pay a huge amount for Stan's signature myself..mine cost me 200, a month before he passed, on a Spider Gwen 1 ...a character I had largely ignored until then.
The ones buying his signature with plans to cash in and see huge profits will have to wait for the movie to come out or perhaps hold them fifty years....
I do agree his signature is plentiful...myself I far rather spend some more money and get a Kirby or perhaps a few silver agers
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I think you might miss that some people buy things to have them...not to make money.

This.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
One thing that I always point out when people talk about the value vs the number of Stan Lee signatures. "The man" is known and loved WORLD WIDE thanks to the success of the Marvel movies. I don't think you can compare his universal appeal to ANYBODY!!! Think of the Beatles and Elvis. I argue that Stan Lee is popular with more people than both of them.

Think about it. Stan Lee has been a celebrity for at LEAST two generations!!!! With the world wide success of Marvel, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't know the name Stan Lee. Heck, even my dad called to let me know that he heard that Stan Lee died!!! I don't think my dad has read a comic in over 60 years and I KNOW he has never seen a Marvel movie in a theater!!! I seriously doubt he'd watch one on tv!!!!

My point??? There may be 10.000's of Stan Lee signed items, but there are 100.000's worldwide that would like to own something signed by him. Why do you think his lines were so long even at $100+ a signature?? You'll never see that long of a line for another comic book industry icon EVER!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I can't figure out why people want a book with stans signature if they never met him .
Post 30 IP   flag post

"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith I haven't met John Romita Sr. but I have many books with his sigs on them. I like to have them because he co-created many characters and I appreciate his work and his contribution to the comic industry.

@Jesse_O The day Stan died, people blew up my phone because of the event. Most of people do not know who Stan was but knew I was collecting comic "stuff" because how often I speak of the "Comic Room".

@metaljeff "When do you think that a Stan Lee signature will be worth more than someone is paying for it now??" Never. Because I ain't sellin' nuffin. They have to pry them from my cold-dead-fingers when I am becoming worm food.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@Wraith I haven't met John Romita Sr. but I have many books with his sigs on them. I like to have them because he co-created many characters and I appreciate his work and his contribution to the comic industry.

I feel the same way about my Kirby sigs.

I didn't actually meet Stan, but Mike Royer and I passed him and his 2 gorillas with a "hello" at the 2017 SDCC and again at breakfast the next day. Would have loved to talk with him, but he was on HIS time, and I respected that.
Post 32 IP   flag post
People collect autographs for multiple reasons but imagine owning just that little piece of time it took Stan to sign his name ...almost enough to film one of his short famous cameos...for me it does not define an autograph to collect it in person although that often adds to the joy...

would you value or treasure a signature from the Beatles or perhaps Mark Ruffalo or Chris Evans or maybe president Washington or John F kennedy without meeting them? I own over a million autographs but self collected in person maybe half....still many of them have a value to me.....for instance Annette Funicello who suffered from MS in her final years but insisted on answering all of her fans and hand signing things regardless. I never met Hugh Heffner but his signature on my trading card carries a meaning to me....
Post 33 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer getting sigs in person but in some cases it's just not possible.

Early/mid 90's Jerry Robinson was at a local convention - I only kind of knew who he was (I was in my early 20's people!!!) and had run out of cash to get a sketch from him (kicking myself year after year) so in the years after that I was able to get prints and books etc. with his signature and they mean just as much to me as my other sigs I got I person.

Now....the sketches in my sketchbook mean more to me than just about any of my signatures as I usually get to spend more time with the artists and talk to them a bit rather than being rushed through a line!!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Same with me. Most of my signatures from Stan were in person however there were a few I got from sending them but still hold a special place because it his signature. The best though was my brother and I were able to take my dad to a signing and he got to meet Stan which is one of the best comic book memories I will ever have.
Post 35 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I can't figure out why people want a book with stans signature if they never met him .

Why wouldn't they? He is a legend and always will be. I have a few things signed by Stan Lee some graded and some non graded but never had the chance to meet him. It doesn't make them any less special to me. If you're lucky enough to be able to get out and meet the people then that is great but a lot of people don't have that luxury.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

I didn't actually meet Stan, but Mike Royer and I passed him and his 2 gorillas with a "hello" at the 2017 SDCC and again at breakfast the next day. Would have loved to talk with him, but he was on HIS time, and I respected that.

You are so fortunate to have Mike Royers signature on new gods material....serious envy here
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Quote:

Why wouldn't they? He is a legend and always will be. I have a few things signed by Stan Lee some graded and some non graded but never had the chance to meet him. It doesn't make them any less special to me. If you're lucky enough to be able to get out and meet the people then that is great but a lot of people don't have that luxury.
for me personally , a signature is about catching a moment when you meet someone you look up to and getting a memento to prove you did which can remind you of that experience.. likewise receiving a book from a friend or having member who passes on the story of the day 'x' signed their book ( or ball, shirt , poster )

I'm not out to fight the system, and everyone is welcome to pay crazy prices on books with autographs signed in a back room somewhere , but to me it's just scribble on a book if it was already there when I got it ..

I will admit I can appreciate the value if you get a book with an autograph where it was known artist only ever signed 5 books or something but stan lee, man , seems like he signed half of every print run
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

You are so fortunate to have Mike Royers signature on new gods material....serious envy here

Thanks If only he inked the whole series
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Quote:

And let's not forget the young, first generation super-hero fans who have yet to start purchases of their own. Stan Lee is to them what Jack Kirby was and is to "our" generation.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS

So true - my 11 yr old knows Stan, knows him from the movies and knows that he had a hand in creating much of the MCU (also knows his dad has met him a couple times and has books signed by him )
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@MR_SigS

So true - my 11 yr old knows Stan, knows him from the movies and knows that he had a hand in creating much of the MCU (also knows his dad has met him a couple times and has books signed by him )
that is cool and what signatures are all about to me
Post 42 IP   flag post
601285 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?