Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Is this a rare comic? Am I going to get rich?8562

Collector harmonicaman private msg quote post Address this user
I am getting a Konga #5 comic ready for Ebay listing when I notice that it has a 15 cent price on it. There are currently 21 copies of this comic listed on Ebay, and there are 3 completed sales. Every one of them has a 10 cent price on them. The comic is from 1962- 15 cents would have been a steep price back then. Is this some sort of rare variant? Could it be a Canadian version? Is this a big deal? Am I going to get rich?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@harmonicaman

Open it up and take a look at the fine print on the first page, it may give you some more insight.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the $0.10 copy for comparison...

Post 3 IP   flag post
The copy I have has the identical fine print. It stated 10 cents a copy. No answer there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Really interesting considering that the next bump up in price would be 12¢.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My guess is reprint.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to guess that it is a foreign edition. Perhaps Australian or Philippine. Can you show a good scan of the indicia? Is there an ad on the back cover?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Aliens.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Here is the back cover. The indica is identical to the one Paulbg2000 posted.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Did Charlton comics ever even have foreign editions at all?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@harmonicaman

Looks like this Konga #5 is a 15 cent Cover Price Variant distributed within various test markets. At the time publishers were testing the waters on a possible price increase.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The next price increase was 12¢.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@OGJackster

I’m not lying.
Post 13 IP   flag post
LOL! Didn't mean to imply that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@OGJackster

Post 15 IP   flag post
I researched @CaptainCanuck info further and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClure's Comic website
Texas Rangers in Action #32(3/62) exists as a Type 1 Test Market 15 cent Cover Price Variant. All comic publishers considered raising prices in 1961, and by mid 1962 all standard comics cost between 12 and 15 cents each. The following 16 issues from March 1962 may exist as Type 1 Test Market Price Variants: Brides in Love #29, Fightin Air Force #31, Fightin Army #45, High-School Confidential Diary #11, Hot Rods and Racing Cars #56, Konga #5, Lil Genius #37, Love Diary #20, My Little Margie #40, Nurse Betsy Crane #15, Romantic Story #59, Six-Gun Heroes #67, Space War #15, Submarine Attack #32, Teen Confessions #16, and Timmy the Timid Ghost #31. Earlier and later examples may exist. Type 1a Canadian Price Variants exist from for all books cover dated 2/83 to 8/84. Some Charlton comics with cover dates from at least 5/61 through 11/63 exist as Type 1a Pence Cover Price Variants, as do some issues with cover dates from at least 10/73 through 5/76. 1957 saw some test market experimentation with funny animal, romance, and war titles, but these were regular editions stamped with a pence price. Haunted #62(7/82) exists as a Type 10b Variant with inverted contents.

Jon McClure's Comics
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@harmonicaman you’re rich.

Enjoy retirement.
Post 17 IP   flag post
So .... rare??? I'd say yes.

Gonna make you rich??? Unknown.

You might want to get it graded and noted properly to get your best return.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

i bought this Batman 2 with a 15 cent cover, it was the first noted copy. After I sold it, I think there was a total of 5 or 6 copies known to exist. This is a photo copy of the book I owned
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I know for sure that Dell tested comics at a 15 cent cover price before deciding to back down to 12 cents. Don’t know that they are all that rare, as I have several of them. Not super knowledgeable about Charltons, though. I will say that the back cover ad looks like it’s from an early 70s comic, so it possibly could be a reprint.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Konga, (and Gorgo’s) are very cool. That one (plus the 300 long boxes in your basement) could make you rich.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Seriously, until someone establishes numbers for the experimental test market editions ...which may or may not be feasible... it's impossible to ascertain potential rarity. Logically, the test failed to produce the sales numbers desired for a price jump of that magnitude, which suggests lower sales figures in those regional markets. My assumption would be that the 15 cent editions are much rarer, therefore less likely to crop up for sale in any condition compared to their ten cent counterparts.

To make this a noteworthy collectible variant an incremental market value for 15 cent issues would have to be nurtured in the collecting community via auction sales and established as a separate listing in the OSG. My incremental 2 cents, inflation adjusted.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I know for sure that Dell tested comics at a 15 cent cover price before deciding to back down to 12 cents. Don’t know that they are all that rare, as I have several of them. Not super knowledgeable about Charltons, though. I will say that the back cover ad looks like it’s from an early 70s comic, so it possibly could be a reprint.

Yes, I have quite a few of these, too, these Dell 15 cent test covers: Walt Disney Comics and Stories, Uncle Scrooge, etc. These one's were published in the 1950's; I think '56 and '57, mostly. Unfortunately, they aren't worth a whole lot more than the regular issues.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Good to read you again, Ted! Seems like it’s been a while.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Good to read you again, Ted! Seems like it’s been a while.

Thanks! Yes, I dropped off for a month or two, with only a few drop ins. No real reason, just very busy at work. I'll try not to stay away so much this time.

It was just so disappointing, losing the Cover Contest week after week...
Post 25 IP   flag post
597867 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?