Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop Culture

SHAZAM Premiere and social media reactions8555

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
watching the meltdown above have to say before even paying to see the picture it has provided amusing entertainment
Post 27 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
It sounds like if it’s not exactly like the source material that you won’t enjoy it. I hope once you actually see the movie that you post here. I’ll be curious what your thoughts will be at that point.

You've made the mistake of not reading other forum threads and realizing that X51 is a hater.

If I went through the history of C.C. Beck's long running character for Fawcett ...which outsold DC's Superman in the 1940's... it would probably bore a lot of folks here who couldn't care less about an earlier generation's passions. Let's just say that the success of that version of Captain Marvel was based on innocence, charm and gentle humor, not silliness and slapstick gags.

For two years Captain Marvel fought the Monster Society of Evil, only to learn the main villain was a two inch long worm....

No silliness here...move along... It's actually "charming" and "gentle humor"

You might've had a point except for what happened to the worm and I won't provide the spoiler to that story.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
The movie can't be at the level of Wonder Woman

I think the Wonder Woman music theme is the best in the new DC cinematic universe(Wonder Woman Theme), but the Shazam trailer beats have been catching me a bit...
People forget how important music is in conveying emotion in film.
Movies without catchy original scores (that aren't just epic ambiance) fall short in my opinion, to ones that do.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
While I like the comic book movies generally and their domination of Hollywood, as a collector I like the fact I was recently gifted with 15 Shazam #1’s (DC 1973). To go with my CBCS verified CC Beck signed 9.2 1973 #1.
I really want the movie to do well, ka ching
Post 30 IP   flag post

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
While I like the comic book movies generally and their domination of Hollywood, as a collector I like the fact I was recently gifted with 15 Shazam #1’s (DC 1973). To go with my CBCS verified CC Beck signed 9.2 1973 #1.
I really want the movie to do well, ka ching

So, you're saying "it's all about the Benjamin's, baby" ...right?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
It does allow me to buy more of the books I like better, and overpay
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
oh man, I so wish I could provide some spoilers but I won't of course. The worst thing about seeing movies early is that there are very few I can speak to about it without worrying about ruining the movie.

That said, I'll post a more in-depth review (spoiler-free of course)of it when the full embargo lifts.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
My review is up! Check it out if you're interested
I know some folks said they weren't going to watch this one

Post 34 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Really looking forward to this. Thanks!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
WOW... I can't believe the Seriousness of all this... Boy's and Girls this is make believe.. It's suppose to be a way to escape into a fun fantasy world.. there are very few movies that don't have fiction in them even documentary's and so called reality shows are mostly fiction to some degree..

I saw Shazam last night.. My Opinion.. it was ok.. personally I give it a 6-7.. it was campy or corny but still fun.. I took my Grandkids 8 & 10 and their opinion along with all the other kids in the theater was a 10.. they were cheering, clapping and just plain having fun.. a lot of fun talk on the way out from everybody.. I didn't hear any griping or winning just fun talk.. I even talked with someone my age and he said it was fun just like the Shazam comics he read when he was a kid.. he also had his grandkids in tow.. and they like mine were happy and talking about the parts they liked best..

Now everybody has a opinion and we do live in America and basically we can say what ever we want (to a degree) but I kind of take offense to someone ripping this whole forum and it's people just because they have a different opinion.. I would think the political my side/your side no compromise atmosphere we have today in DC. on TV or in public would sicken just about everyone into a more compromising attitude
but then again some people just can't get buy things that they just don't like.. AND
then there's just your bitchers and complainers..

I'm Done "Live Long and prosper"
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Ready to go, I've already preordered my Alamo Drafthouse Shazam tickets and glasses.
Post 37 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
My family and I all enjoyed "Shazam." Even my wife who isn't "comic booky" enjoyed it.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Two thumbs up from me.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to taking my son to see it - hopefully this weekend!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
We went and saw it yesterday. We all enjoyed it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Ok...a little late to the game. Went with my son to see this...IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!

A DC movie that didn't suck!!!!
Most of my collection is DC - come on guys get your act together and boost the value of my books!!!
Post 42 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Yea, DC has so much to work with if they (and Warner) can just get their acts together (and I'm not sure they can). I keep hoping they turn over the Spectre to a good director with a horror/suspense background. A horror/detective/superhero Spectre movie just seems like a no-brainer to me.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 Man...even if they just built on Shazam...I was waiting for a few things to happen in the movie and when they did I was like..YES...they should be able to do 3 or more other Shazam based movies easy...just write off Bats/Supes and JLA they are a lost cause. Flash and Cyborg may have been burnt but they haven't salted the earth with them...yet!!

I don't know...a Spectre movie scares me....Constantine could have been so, so much more than it was..I have a feeling they would butcher Spectre....
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Finally saw the movie. It was very entertaining and had several feel good moments, very different than most DC films. There were a few scenes that scared the crap out of some very young movie goers, so I would say it’s not for 5 or 6 year olds. But I would recommend it and look forward to Shazam 2.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@esaravo True about the 5/6 yr olds...there was a youngster a few seats away and a few times he was hiding behind his hands - no tears though!!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it the other week. My 7 year old had a grin on his face the whole time. Both he and his 10 yr old brother went bananas over the cameo at the end.

I loved it. Better than Aquaman in my book. Perfect tone for the character. I hope DC doesn’t do this same tone for all their movies - I don’t need a slapstick version of Specter or something like that - but find the the right tone for each character. Can’t wait for Shazam 2.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@KatKomics The thought of DC/Warner making a Spectre movie scares the crap out of me, too. I love all of the mystical, horror-ish DC characters and I'd hate to see them screw up any movie attempts. Still, they need to try. This is one area where, IMO, DC had always been head-and-shoulders above the competition. If they could get the movies right... wow! Think about it... the Spectre, Sandman, Death, John Constantine, Swamp Thing... along with tons of second-tier characters like Dr. Fate, Deadman, the Phantom Stranger, Zatanna, Dr. Thirteen... there is so much quality there. I get excited just thinking about the possibilities. 🤪 And the Keanu Reeves "Constantine" was made so long ago, I can't include it in this latest iteration of DC movies and more than I can include the old Adrian Barbeau "Swamp Thing." 😊

@Themaxx35 I'm hoping (but I'm in no way convinced) that DC/ Warner has learned enough to know that the tone used for "Shazam" wouldn't work for darker characters like the Spectre. And I am very much looking forward to "Shazam 2."
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't see it. Have no desire to see it. I'm glad others enjoyed it. I saved money while others are entertained. The world keeps turning.
Post 49 IP   flag post
597876 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?