Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Recommend a (comic) book8554

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Just figured I’d create a thread where people can share some of their favorite issues/storylines/collections for others to see and discuss

To start, I’d like to put forth

Prometheus: The complete Fire and Stone

This collects the 17-issue Fire and Stone crossover by Dark Horse that is spread across their Prometheus, Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs Predator licenses. I had started by buying the individual trades on the cheap but enjoyed it so much that I had to splirge on the big hardcover.

The crossover itself is really well done and what I really enjoyed was that each mini-series felt true in tone to the series it’s based on while still contributing to the overall story. The Prometheus series, for example, focuses on a group of scientists trying to deal with a planet corrupted by the black ooze from the film, Aliens had a detachment of scientists and marines desperately trying to survive a xenomorph horde, Alien vs Predator is a big action book with Predators hunting xenomorphs, and the Predator arc is a tense hunt between a predator and an Engineer.

If you enjoyed the world of the films, this crossover is worth checking out. The complete hardcover is a tad difficult to find at a good price but the individual trades (Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, Predator, and Fire and Stone Omega) are pretty affordable

There is a sequel, Life and Death which is on my way to me as I speak and I hope it lives up to the first
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Locke & Key - This horror comic is written by best selling author Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) with amazing art by Gabriel Rodriguez.

Easily on of the best comic titles of all time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Although the art wasn't that great to me, I really liked the 6 issue "Harsh Realm" series from Harris Comics in the 90's. I hate fantasy stories, but this series was about a kid who went to live in a virtual reality world that is based on fantasy. Since the underpinnings were based on science, the fantasy aspect didn't annoy me. The story is told from the perspective of a private detective who is tasked with finding the kid in the virtual reality world.
Chris Carter took the concepts created by James Hudnall and made it into something entirely different for a TV show, but a lawsuit followed. It appears that Hudnall was not properly given credit and Chris Carter was contracted to create multiple series for the studio based on his own work, not swipe someone else's ideas. I think that's why Chris Carter pretty much disappeared after X-Files concluded.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MezComics private msg quote post Address this user
Ice cream man.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MezComics
Ice cream man.

Great read.

Unfortunately I missed issue one even though I have read the TPB.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user
Secret Wars II with the Beyonder. That was a great series.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Irredeemable
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Not that anyone should need reminded, but Kingdom Come is amazing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Recent great reads for me.. Spawn dark horror storyline... I'm fully immersed in isola ( but is so long between issues). And on the immortal hulk train with many here
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Shadowhawk. Original series and original showdowhawk Paul Johnstone. Very underrated image character from Valentino.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Donald Duck. Best read ever - period
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
fourth world trilogy forever people....mister miracle and new gods mixed in with jmmmy olsen and lois lane....most epic story ever told and drawn by the same man...kirby and the story arc heavily pillaged to create star wars

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Last year Deadpool vs old man logan was really fun. Short series but funny as hell
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Poka, I am with you 100%. The Disney duck comics are must read! The best way to read them is the Carl Barks Library slipcase editions from Another Rainbow.
Those books are pretty pricey, but all these stories have been reprinted in a multitude of formats, including very affordable editions.

I would also recommend the EC line of comics. The writing is somewhat hit or miss, but the artists as a group were probably the finest assemblage of talent ever gathered under the banner of a single publisher.

The hardcover editions are pictured but, again, these have been collected in a wide variety of affordable formats.

For those who prefer straightforward superhero adventure, I would recommend Wolfman and Perez’s New Teen Titans from around 1980 to 1985. These are superhero comics as they are meant to be done! The stories and artwork hold up against anything being published today. If you’ve never read these classics, check them out ASAP!

For those who are looking for something completely different, I have a couple of recommendations: Bill Leobs’ Journey, a story of life along the Michigan frontier in the early 19th century.

And Jeff Smith’s Bone, which was much acclaimed at the time, but has become something of a forgotten gem these days.

And for those of you who like to read novels not of the graphic persuasion, I would point you to Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose Tarzan books are simply amazing reads! If you have only experienced Tarzan through the comics and other mediums, you are missing out! I can’t recommend them enough! And his other books, such as the Barsoom and Pellucidar series are incredible as well.
I could go on all day, but I think that’s enough to keep all of you reading for a while 🙂.
Post 14 IP   flag post

I have to recommend Warren Ellis’ run on Thunderbolts. He did an amazing job of writing a group of villains and, unlike the horrid Suicide Squad film where the bad guys band together to save the world, Ellis’ Thunderbolts are their own worst enemy as they fight for their own survival.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector danzies private msg quote post Address this user
Unnatural - by Mirka Andolfo is such a fun read, I would definitely recommend.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
I still, to this day, always refer new readers (and to other seasoned vets!) to Superman: Red Son & The Joker (Hardcover) by Azzarello and Bermejo. These have always been two of my favorites, and are just great books to reread on a snowy or rainy day.
Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I love reading East of West. I feel like it has a Game of Thrones feel to it. I started with issue #2 and I loved the story since.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Fury: My War Gone By

I absolutely love this book and recommend it to anyone that enjoys a war/political story. It follows Nick Fury from just after WWII through various world conflicts. It’s set in Garth Ennis’ corner of the MAX universe so it’s meant to be a more grounded take on Fury, so no super-spying or SHIELD. It also very much earns it’s mature rating but is an amazing read
Post 19 IP   flag post
Also, does anyone have recommendations for Aliens comics? I’m currently reading and enjoying Life and Death and I’ve pre-ordered the adaptation of the kriginal Alien 3 script but I’m curious about the 30+ years of Dark Horse books that have come before

Also, if anyone’s interested in checking out Fire and Stone and doesn’t want to shell out for the collected hardcover it’s now been collected into an affordable trade paperback
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp cool - I used to have the library but decided to concentrate on WDCS original serie
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Immortal Hulk is the best modern "super-hero" book out now IMO. Ive always loved the Hulk but with a few exceptions (Planet Hulk, WW Hulk) most of his stories get dull. I love my X-Men but Immortal Hulk is the book I look forward to most each month.
Its got a very EC horror vibe going which is a huge plus for me, the art is excellent and I hope that it keeps going strong.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
- Immortal Hulk is Amazing
- Grass Kings was good
- Southern Bastards
- Black Badge
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Verde private msg quote post Address this user

Phenomenal
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Black Monday Murders
East of West
Seven To Eternity
Wytches
Black Science
Paper Girls
We Stand On Guard
Post 25 IP   flag post
597868 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?