Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector FUEGOMUSIC private msg quote post Address this user
Because there was a small indentation on the "r" around the purple part that was not coming out. After multiple presses it worked itself out. That's where that humidity option would come into play because with one press it would've been done.
Post 26 IP   flag post
The temperature 175-200 for 15 to 20 minutes.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
It seems like pressing books is a huge secret in the industry...I wish someone would make a decent tutorial on it. I'd love to try it out on my own books!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, nice! Thanks for sharing that info.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Here's a couple of videos to point you in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/_7J1kiekiZk
https://youtu.be/4815oKGbsPI
https://youtu.be/gKbHbMg2Qg8 (I've never left it for 10 hours)
https://youtu.be/3ABY5quIEs8
https://youtu.be/mrsqzubn4Do
Post 30 IP   flag post

That last video is the humidity part. Looks like a storage bin with two levels, bottom level for the water and the second level to place the comics book. I assume it should be hot water, close cover and let it sit for how long, you got me? But will try that soon, just looking a good candidate.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
It seems like pressing books is a huge secret in the industry...I wish someone would make a decent tutorial on it. I'd love to try it out on my own books!

If they revealed all their secrets those who charge money for these services would lose business. It also takes time to do it right and I think it can be irresponsible to have videos out there that make it look like it is as easy as pie and have the end result of actually destroying perfectly good books.

The folks that are good at pressing learned what they could and probably had to improvise to get some things done. One thing they did do, though, is practice for a long time on cheaper more common book before they risked damaging more expensive books or other people's value treasures.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3

If they revealed all their secrets those who charge money for these services would lose business.

Oh yeah, I understand that completely. I'm just tired of spending $10-20 a book to have it pressed lol. I'd like to be able to do it myself...I suppose I could stop complaining and learn to do it the hard way like everyone else haha.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Ox totally agree.
The back cover cleaning was my first try. The pressing I've done 15-20 books and have had great results. Still taking baby steps but if I try something new, example adding humidity to a cover, it will be done on a common, inexpensive book as you say.
@rickdod
Give it try. Only thing to lose is your time and some inexpensive books.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@rickdod3 I get you on that. Thankfully I have struck up a good relationship with a local who presses book for $5 a pop and he does excellent work. So, I can definitely sideline my pressing ambitions. In the future, when I am back on better financial ground, I will explore the options.

Of course I don't want to discourage anyone from trying out I was just adding some sober second thought.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@FUEGOMUSIC sounds like, and looks like, things are proceeding nicely
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Just a reminder for everyone, if any of these books hit the market, PLEASE disclose that they were pressed, and by whom.

Whether it's considered restoration or not, some people want to know.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector svgcomics181 private msg quote post Address this user
Josh Avery at Avery's Pressing
Post 38 IP   flag post
@svg
Just curious, does the new label state "pressed by Avery pressing"?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Wow the top of the book looks a lot better. Thanks for giving more info and better pictures.
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@FUEGOMUSIC CBCS doesn't note pressing on their labels. As far as I know none of the grading companies note pressing.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Graders don't note pressing since they don't consider it restoration.
I assume this is svg's own submission.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@DarthLego beat me to it.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego @MR_SigS
Post 44 IP   flag post
601275 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?