Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

New Logo...Not Good...Sorry849

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DertyComix
@IncentiveComic as Oxbladder stated, there is a new label in the works. Some one had taken a picture of the proposed new label. Steve had pur it out during the SDCC. It looks way better than what is out currently.

That isn't the only concern of the OP. He is saying the new logo doesn't look good. On the prototype label that was revealed at SDCC, the new logo remains the same.

I think a majority of CBCS fans would prefer to stay with the old label, and I think the vast majority would prefer to stay with the old logo.

Honestly? I cannot claim to know what the majority opinion is. I have seen people that like it I have seen people post they don't like it and I have seen people post that they really don't care. The ones who do not are more vocal and emotional about it and are likely scaring the other people's opinions away because they want to avoid conflict.

What I THINK that the "majority" opinion would be if independently polled would be a majority fall into the don't care camp. Middle of the road opinion is usually the most common. However, with the lack of an independent poll (ie one where a cross section of customers/members were ask their opinion by an independent party and not some poll run on a forum or on Facebook) I don't know what the true answer is because I have no idea how many customers CBCS customers have.

Finally, while I do think that everyone has a right to their opinion I also think that it is time for everyone on every side to take it easy. There is nothing more that can be done and said. CBCS had a prototype out there and has the opinions both ways here and on Facebook. The continual back and forth on this issue is NOT going to achieve any more. I am sure CBCS put out quite a bit of money to do this change and it is going to take a little bit of time to adjust everything to please the opposition.

Sorry I just do not see the point of continuing to bite the hand that feeds you.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Last week I was at my LCS buying supplies, hanging out and discussing subjects like - Franken-slabs and Franken-labels. During the conversation I noticed a high grade book in his glass cabinet that I've been sorta-kinda in the market for. It is a Spidey V2 #36 (911). This one was CGC 'Death-slabbed' at 9.8 White, and believe it or not I noticed the book before I noticed the big-ass number. LOL

After studying the book the best I could through the shell, it does appear to be a solid 9.8. The Newton issues were very miniscule and the label really didn't bother me so much although I prefer their previous. I did notice some waves forming on the front and back mylar sheets inside the shell but the book 'APPEARS' to be unaffected - but still the pressure is there!

I told my LCS I'll buy the book and he can Fast Track it to CBCS for what I consider to be safer encapsulation, and he says "no problem"! But I stopped myself quickly and said, "that means I am going to have that ugly new CBCS label,... never mind, I'll pass"!

We both laughed!

I am seriously considering going back tomorrow and purchasing the book, cracking it out and placing it in a Mylites2/Fullback (with the label) and just stashing it away. It's the most gorgeous ASM V2 36 I've held in my hands.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector fat1138 private msg quote post Address this user
Font size a little on small side.I am sort of middle of road ,i dont mind them.The minimalism of label does not detract from the cover image.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector UF2 private msg quote post Address this user
It really is simple when it comes to things like these. Speak with your wallet. I'll see how my first order goes, if I am not happy then I will go somewhere else. Really sucks cause I have a stack of books I want to send out right this moment but I really want to give cbcs a chance because of all the good I have heard up until now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF2
It really is simple when it comes to things like these. Speak with your wallet. I'll see how my first order goes, if I am not happy then I will go somewhere else. Really sucks cause I have a stack of books I want to send out right this moment but I really want to give cbcs a chance because of all the good I have heard up until now.

Unfortunately, there's no place else to go for a dependable third party grading service if you want an aesthetically pleasing label to compliment books in your collection. CGC opted for an ugly label on their failed holder. After fixing the holder they doubled-down on the label. CBCS apparently decided to change their label & logo in response to CGC's changes. In both instances, collectors who cared about this weren't consulted in the process.

In all honesty, I think the problem is more complicated than we've been addressing here. Both grading services compete for visibility on dealer walls, auction sites and in catalogs. It wouldn't surprise me if outside pressure from dealers and auction houses was placed on both companies by to enlarge and embolden grade fonts even if there was little or no call for it from collectors.

The problem is that those folks who see holders and labels only as a sales tool don't share the same interest as collectors. Aesthetics are critical to those for whom presentation and the visibility of comics are more important than the visibility of labels. Most collectors hate overstated road sign grade fonts (both CGC & CBCS). This produces a dilemma for those of us spending large sums on high grade books (pedigrees, etc.) that won't be cracked out.

Some of us will probably restrict our purchases to older label holdered books, eschewing new labels altogether. As for resubmissions, the trade off between a possible grade bump and the certainty of an ugly label may come into play.

These opinions are difficult to share because I have the greatest respect for CBCS and CGC as steady providers of stability to the markets. The schism comes from a collision of interests, those of the collector and those of market driven economic factors. It is my profoundest hope that some area of compromise can be reached between these two competing interests.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector IncentiveComic private msg quote post Address this user
@rickdod3 It's jarring. I had to see them side by side in person to get the full effect. The old label is vastly superior in my opinion.

I have my books on a wall in my study. I put the 3 books, with the new label, up last night and immediately took them down.

And I'm not OCD...LOL
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I do not put books on display, but if I did, I would choose mylar over slabs on account of the ugly label. I am sure there are many others.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
These opinions are difficult to share because I have the greatest respect for CBCS and CGC as steady providers of stability to the markets. The schism comes from a collision of interests, those of the collector and those of market driven economic factors. It is my profoundest hope that some area of compromise can be reached between these two competing interests.

I'm a collector and don't have any big issue with the change so I don't think that line is quite as simple as collector/market interest. Keep in mind too that there were a number of people that wanted changes to the old label. Some play down those voices as minor but without a more concrete idea of how many customers CBCS has and how many of them talked about changes online or to CBCS staff directly we cannot say definitively it was a vocal minority. Just like I am unwilling to say a majority of people hate/love the new label. I would guess though of those that hate it I don't think many simply will not buy or get a book graded with the label. That, to me at least, seems to be on the extreme end of the population.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I would guess though of those that hate it I don't think many simply will not buy or get a book graded with the label. That, to me at least, seems to be on the extreme end of the population.

I don't think the number of collectors that will refrain from -- or the very least hesitate -- buying a new label book or submitting a book for the new label (to both companies, I might add) is at an extreme end of the collecting population.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector OldGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zab47
if they are still working on developing a new logo who is getting paid all the money to piss every one off these u can file in garabage no comics from me until I see a collectors image on my investment not only in my comic but the item it's packaged in who really wants to show off a great comic in a crappy piece of plastic

Punctuation.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

I'm a collector and don't have any big issue with the change so I don't think that line is quite as simple as collector/market interest. Keep in mind too that there were a number of people that wanted changes to the old label. Some play down those voices as minor but without a more concrete idea of how many customers CBCS has and how many of them talked about changes online or to CBCS staff directly we cannot say definitively it was a vocal minority. Just like I am unwilling to say a majority of people hate/love the new label. I would guess though of those that hate it I don't think many simply will not buy or get a book graded with the label. That, to me at least, seems to be on the extreme end of the population.

I respect your opinion, but the voices are what they are. My voice is neither extreme nor a lone voice in the wind, but I'll only speak for myself. With that in mind, the dollars I spend are substantial, at least in the opinion of dealers and auction houses. Hate is a strong word. Let's just say that I find both company's recent labels unattractive. If presentation is important, then the label matters.

So, what does that mean in terms of actions taken if the label is unsatisfactory? It means I'll only seek high grade books that are in older holders from both grading services. It puts other dealers on notice that my money won't be spent on grade bumped books in new labels. Also, it means that I'll seek fewer raw books in grade because submitting those books for encapsulation won't be a desirable option.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Fair enough. My only dispute was the collector/market interest divide. The rest is opinion that cannot be verified with any legitimate numbers. To me it seems extreme because I walk the middle road on the debate and I would not limit my buying based on the label and in all honestly while you are most certainly not alone in your decision I have not heard that many who dislike the new label willing to go to the level of not buying based on look of label. I am also not going to say or even imply it is wrong. It is what it is and it is really not the strangest thing I have heard in the collecting world. I have worked in the business and know many dealers in these parts to know there are plenty of what would call extreme opinions/habits out there. No doubt people think the same of my opinions and habits. The wildly varying habits/opinions out there make it hard for places like CGC and CBCS to do much of any changes lest they get raked over the coals.

Anyway, I do appreciate your willingness to calmly and patiently deal with descenting viewpoints and explain/clarify your own. It is a hard thing to do but very helpful to me and hopefully others who read it. I hope CBCS can fix things enough to your satisfaction without hurting their bottom line too much or hindering other necessary fixes or additions to their service(s).
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
I would guess though of those that hate it I don't think many simply will not buy or get a book graded with the label. That, to me at least, seems to be on the extreme end of the population.

I don't think the number of collectors that will refrain from -- or the very least hesitate -- buying a new label book or submitting a book for the new label (to both companies, I might add) is at an extreme end of the collecting population.

As I stated above, in my middle of the road position it is extreme but definitely not the most extreme POV out there. Nor am I saying or even trying to imply it is wrong. No doubt I have opinions/habits that others find extreme.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Quote:
if they are still working on developing a new logo who is getting paid all the money to piss every one off these u can file in garabage no comics from me until I see a collectors image on my investment not only in my comic but the item it's packaged in who really wants to show off a great comic in a crappy piece of plastic

Punctuation.

lol. I'm not entirely sure punctuation can save the post
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncentiveComic

And I'm not OCD...LOL

Maybe not to you and other collectors
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Punctuation.

It can't.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector DannyBoy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Punctuation.

It can't.

The only way to save that original post is to put rivets around it.

Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Punctuation.

It can't.

The only way to save that original post is to put rivets around it.

And change the font.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'll be visiting with the President about this in Chicago. I suspect Steve will lend a sympathetic ear to the plight of those disillusioned, falsely labeled folks who aren't comfortable with change. I'm optimistic that we can bring folks back who still feel the burn. Compromise solutions are always within reach. If we want consistent, steady leadership and a guiding hand from the top, we'll need CBCS president Steve Borock to be our advocate.

My friends, the difficult path before us is reaching out to those outraged CGC labelers and bringing them into the fold with results rather bluster or idle promises of change. If it's a change we want, then let's keep it positive with good labels, not bad. Honesty, simplicity and work can achieve meaningful change, ladies and gentlemen. CBCS was already a great grader, let's work to make it raise the greatness through inclusiveness without brash labeling.

Don't let the false promises of CGC acolytes sway your resolve. There is a real choice to be made in this selection and it's never been clearer. You can stay home and be raw or push for the reforms from leadership that listens. Let's move forward by keeping hope alive. Bless CBCS and bless this great collector's society to which we all aspire.
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica did you just announce Steve Borock's candidacy for POTUS?
Post 45 IP   flag post
600443 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?