Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Wolverine #80 X-23 Cameo?847

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLand
@MR_SigS You bring up an interesting point. Why do first appearance cameos seem to be be so undervalued when compared to first "full" appearances?

The true first appearance of Wolverine is Hulk #180. Yet #181 is the issue everyone wants (and pays up for

This is because people back then read their comics and valued good stories. #181 is a more exciting read than 180. I can't imagine how popular 181 would be if a good artist had drawn the interiors.

I was underwhelmed when I read it years ago I must be an outlier.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@Swampy Imagine if Romita Sr. had drawn it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain that would have been pretty sweet!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain Now you're talking.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
@MetalPSI Haha! True. Nice to see a fellow Cyber fan. What a waste when Marvel decided to kill him off. He's one of my favorite Wolverine villains. They never gave him an action figure did they? I think I've seen some customes though.

No kidding. He was the only villain that Wolverine actually admitted to being afraid of.

Not sure if they ever made a figure of him, but he does make video game and card appearances.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is because people back then read their comics and valued good stories. #181 is a more exciting read than 180. I can't imagine how popular 181 would be if a good artist had drawn the interiors.

Not sure I understand (or agree with) your statement. You're saying the reason people pay five times more for a Hulk #181 over a #180 today is because people appreciated a good story more back in 1974?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
Quote:
@MR_SigS You bring up an interesting point. Why do first appearance cameos seem to be be so undervalued when compared to first "full" appearances?

The true first appearance of Wolverine is Hulk #180. Yet #181 is the issue everyone wants (and pays up for

I was underwhelmed when I read it years ago I must be an outlier.

Heh, I didn't say it was a classic read, but 181 is a much better read than 180 if you're a Wolverine fan.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Swampy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure I understand (or agree with) your statement. You're saying the reason people pay five times more for a Hulk #181 over a #180 today is because people appreciated a good story more back in 1974?

I believe that 181 is now worth more than his 1st appearance in 180 because of the story in and the cover of 181.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe that 181 is now worth more than his 1st appearance in 180 because of the story in and the cover of 181.

yup!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yup!

Yup, yup!

If you look at the GPA numbers, X-Men #266 sells at almost 4x what X-Men Annual #14 gets. There's no question Wolverine is the hotter character, so getting 5x more isn't a surprise. That the amount is so much higher is simply indicative of HOW much hotter the character is.
Post 35 IP   flag post
598059 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?