CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Best way to store (not for show) your slabs8463

Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all

How do you or what is the best way to store (not for show) your slabs
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Bagged and in boxes out of light. BCW has nice plastic bins for graded books. I have some for my bagged boarded raw books. Here; https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-bin?amp=1
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra Very nice ....I just provisionally put in an order for 5 and postage came back at over $210 so I'll have to look locally
Post 3 IP   flag post
Fringing hell....Amazon UK are selling these for £53.69 that’s around $67
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought 20 more CGC boxes on ebay.

I also assembled one of two sets of 6'x4'x18" shelves that should hold 25 boxes each.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@drchaos were they plastic or cardboard type ? ....any chance of a link
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I buy the black plastic containers from OFFICE DEPOT. They're on sale $14.99 down to $10.00. Since I bought (20) they gave me an extra 20% off or $8.00 each. The hold 26-30 slabbed comic books each and so far stack (4) high with no problem.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I buy the black plastic containers from OFFICE DEPOT. They're on sale $14.99 down to $10.00. Since I bought (20) they gave me an extra 20% off or $8.00 each. The hold 26-30 slabbed comic books each and so far stack (4) high with no problem.
Can you show us a photo of 5hese black plastic containers? Sounds like a good idea.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Can you show us a photo of 5hese black plastic containers? Sounds like a good idea.

I'm guessing its these but not certain...

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/581646/Office-Depot-Brand-Letter-And-Legal/fromLocalBrowse=false
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC No - 10 7/8" isn't tall enough for a slab.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
@drchaos were they plastic or cardboard type ? ....any chance of a link

CGC boxes are all cardboard with lids.

Shelves are chrome metal from Target.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
@GAC No - 10 7/8" isn't tall enough for a slab.

If you are putting the boxes on shelves (instead of stacking them) the height is not important.

With that said a normal short box is not wide enough for slabs.

Also, if you are transporting your collection (moving, going to show, etc.) the height of the box and the lids will become more important when you want to stack the boxes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing its these but not certain...

Yes, That's them. They're easy to stack, store and light does not shine through.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/581646/Office-Depot-Brand-Letter-And-Legal/fromLocalBrowse=false

Post 14 IP   flag post
@Rafel How are they stored in the containers? Are they upright,sideways or stacked flat? @CatCovers says they are not tall enough.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I use these from Bags Unlimited. I really like them. I believe it fits around twenty slabs per box.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/303/graded-comic-storage-boxes
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Rafel How are they stored in the containers? Are they upright,sideways or stacked flat? @CatCovers says they are not tall enough.

Can't stand up in that box. Maybe sideways, but I would not recommend that as It could put undue stress on the spine over time. Stacking flat might be ok as long as you leave some space from the top cover or don't stack the containers. I might look into this for slabs I access more routinely (admiring or selling).

Currently I use the bcw black currogated plastic. Only problem is there's a hole where the handles are....but I put a piece of cardboard inside to block the light.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Can't stand up in that box. Maybe sideways, but I would not recommend that as It could put undue stress on the spine over time. Stacking flat might be ok as long as you leave some space from the top cover or don't stack the containers. I might look into this for slabs I access more routinely (admiring or selling).

Currently I use the bcw black currogated plastic. Only problem is there's a hole where the handles are....but I put a piece of cardboard inside to block the light.
I here what you are saying and agree. That is why I am curious how @Rafel utilizes them.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I here what you are saying and agree. That is why I am curious how @Rafel utilizes them.

They work very well. True, I can't stand a slab upright but on there side or stacked is not a problem. I have mine on the side. It gives me easy access and because of the inner well the spine never gets damaged. Although I can't say the same for some of the CGC slabs that DON'T have that inner well. By the way I have 99% CBCS slabs and 1% CGC slabs.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Rafel Good to know. I use the BCW graded boxes.I am happy with those.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Bagged and in boxes out of light. BCW has nice plastic bins for graded books. I have some for my bagged boarded raw books. Here; https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-bin?amp=1

I use those as well for the graded books I want to keep.

For the ones I plan to sell eventually, I use - clickable text
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Should I talk to the guy in the photo, or should I talk to you? Or are they one in the same?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Post 25 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve heard you can store them sideways if staples are down I believe.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11

I would think the inner well would secure the comic book from any kind of movement.
Post 27 IP   flag post

I use graded comic book boxes. In a dark climate controlled airplane hangar storage locker.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The simplest. easiest and certainly effective is graded comic boxes, slabs stored upright in a climate controlled environment. Kaptainmyke is just showing off, the airplane hanger is optional

A room or closet in your house will be fine. Assuming you heat your house in the winter and cool it in the summer. If you are comfortable, so are your comics. If you are hot and sweaty in your house, your comics are suffering too.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11

I would think the inner well would secure the comic book from any kind of movement.
I figured that also but heard gravity over time can pull down on staples like it does on us over time lol
Post 30 IP   flag post
601460 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?