Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Store Stamps on Comics8460

Collector Chino24 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi!

I have a really nice copy of Eternals #2 with a comic store stamp on the back, top-right cover, and again on the first inside page by the indica at the bottom of the page.

How do comic store stamps like this affect the grade of the comic itself? My copy is actually really nice - definitely high grade as far as wear and tear go. But how high of a grade could a comic like this receive with a stamp on it? What if it's absolutely pristine except for the comic store stamp?

Thanks for your time and help!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is that stamps don't affect the grade at all unless the book would have been gem without it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
With CGC it does not affect the grade at all from what I understand, but with CBCS not sure exactly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It's my understanding that CBCS will not give anything higher than a 9.6 to a comic with any type of store/date stamp. I have had several books that have date stamps on their covers come back with 9.6's and the grader's notes indicate that there is a date stamp on the cover. For books with date stamps that got lower grades, the notes don't mention the date stamp. Hope that helps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks, everyone! That's very helpful. Personally, I think it's kind of cool to see the store stamp because that is probably where it was originally sold at. However, I definitely don't want the stamp over a character's face or body on the cover!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
According to the Overstreet grading guide a book can have several dates, stamps and/or initials at a 9.0 grade but for a 9.2 it says that only small, inconspicuous dates/initial are allowed. So it is interesting that CGC doesn't think it affects grade at all and CBCS can grade a book up to a 9.6 with a stamp on it. Would like to know the reasoning for justifying both positions from the grading companies. I'd lean on going as high as a 9.2 for a book otherwise in pristine condition but who am I to say? lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
That’s my old comic shop when I was a kid. Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@TellEmSteveDave That's awesome. That's the one thing I like about the stamps - they kind of help tell you the history behind that specific book you have. Who would have thought it would begin in Rochester, New York and wind up in Oklahoma after all of these years? I think that's cool.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598060 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?