Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Bad EBay Vendor / Bad Restoration8440

Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello fellow comic collectors,

I know I am pretty new to this board but I hope you have enjoyed or appreciated whatever I could contribute to the community. I know I have greatly appreciated the post and insight that all the forum members have offered. It has been a good experience and I appreciate all the opportunities to learn about this great hobbie. As I continue to learn I realize orher areas of the field that I am completely novice at. One such field is detection of restoration. For this Inreach our to the more experienced members of the board for insight and advice.

Story goes:
I bid on a Detective Comics 400 that was in what appeared to be in what I would call 9.0 condition. I realized there were not as many bids on the item so I closely read the description and realized that this particular book had a minor restoration to it. The restoration to the book was mentioned as being a “minor” color touch to the right of the upper staple on the cover. It was pictured and I could plainly see it. I was ok with it and accepted the book at face value being a clean sharp copy of the book that needed color touch in one small area for whatever reason.

I checked the vendors feedback and it was good. No negative feedback that would leave me to believe that his word was not honest. I closely monitored the auction and ended up winning the action at $240. I felt like this was a fair price for a copy that had obvious color touch restoration. Again I was ok with this as it was declared when I bid on the item.

When it arrived I gave it a general look over and thought it was what the vendor said it was. I thought about pressing it myself but felt it appeared very flat and noticed the staples seemed a little recessed so I didn’t want to risk causing any damage to the book. The book came with a full letter written to me claiming how this book was a great buy and I should diffenitly get it graded by CBCS.

I did so and I fast passed it with a grade scan of 8.0, because I felt there was absolutely no way it would be graded less than that even with the restoration, but it returned to me rejected with a sticky note mentioning the cover was glued on, and tape on the outside of the center fold.

I can’t believe I never saw this, or even considered this, Or even worse thought to check for this. This was really my first venture into purchasing a Silver Age Key, so honestly thought the book was what the seller said it was. Now I know the market is a LOT more suspect than I had realized and there are no good deals on Silver Age Keys with out a price.

In retrospect I should have none the lack of interest on the item was a sign, but I just thought I had a moment of success (even considering the restoration). Now I don’t know what to do. This is why I have opened up to the fine folks on this forum for their advice on what to do about this situation.

My thought are to have the book re restored in a right way so it can at least be graded with out being rejected for crap work. Not sure how to proceed, but would appreciate any advice the community could offer.

I have attached photos. As for the eBay seller I can not look at the seller name in my phone, but he signed his name on the letter to me S.D.R.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Go to my EBay, click on purchases, click on "See original listing" and look for the seller's EBay name. Sorry you got taken. Please share the name once you have it so members of this forum don't get taken for a ride. Thanks for sharing. Nuff said..
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Noblebeast315 - That really sucks. Did you use PayPal, because I think that gives you some purchase protection. I would contact the seller immediately and demand a full refund, plus your shipping expenses to CBCS, and return shipping costs if he wants the book back. If he declines, then I would contact ebay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
eBay allows returns for items not as described with free return shipping. I think this qualifies. I am not sure what the time limit on this is, but it is an option you can explore if you are looking for a refund.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to know the name of the eBayer who sold this book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Yes indeed, you can and will be able to be refunded for the purchase and shipping. You will NOT however get recompense for your further actions after the purchase (grading fees or restoration etc.). The seller has nothing to do with those actions therefore is not responsible for, PayPal and eBay will concur. Sorry for your bad experience.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry this happened to you. I think most of us have bought something that ended up being not what it seemed.

If you like the look of the book and want to keep it, by all means do so.

If you want to return it, the advice others have given is good. You can get your purchase and shipping costs back through PayPal.

As far as undoing the restoration and re-restoring the book - I wouldn't. It's a nice key from the beginning of the Bronze Age, but you're definitely in the realm of diminishing returns with restoration on it. An unrestored 9.2 is $700 in the current guide - a restored version would be lucky to get half that. I know you're not planning to sell, but you're looking at putting a lot more into the book than it's likely to be worth.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Noblebeast315 my suggestion would be to politely contact seller. maybe the seller was not aware just like you didn‘t see it.

i know that i once had one book where i was so focused on whether the staples had been misplaced that i didn‘t see that one of them had rust
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I only buy slabbed books anymore when they get over $200-300. I risk it when I've purchased books from the seller in the past but there are only a handful like that.

That said, eBay is the Wild West. All sorts of scammers and riff raff. Stick with legit dealers and you will always do well. Metro, Worldwide, High Grade, Superworld to name a few.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
If you can't find the seller through your Ebay purchase history, you can find details on all of your past orders through Paypal. This includes the purchase price, item description, purchase date, all Seller info including username, email and address, etc. I've been able to look at paypal records from over 10 years ago to determine how much I should resell past purchases for. Also don't use your phone, use a computer. You'll have more options for searches. Hope any of this helps.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
bummer, pretty sure ebay forces paypal payments, but I don't know if there's a time limit. (probably is). You can see your purchase history by year going back several years. Should show you seller. I have a similar issue with a graded comic I bought. Knew the case had cracks and thought I could just reholder. Got it, and both sides appear to have been razored open (CGC case) And I think they slid in a lower graded comic. But, I'd have to get CGC involved...so I haven't figured this out yet.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I appreciate it very much. Collecting keys on eBay has been a lesson learned. I thought I was getting a deal because of the color touch, but there was much more to it I didn’t see. The irony of it all was the seller sent me a long note telling me to send it to CBCS, which I did and they uncovered all the things I SHOULD have see my self. I agree with some of you folks comments about only buying from vendors you have already established a relationship with, or only buying graded books. I tend to have a great relationship with vendors in person at cons as I always have something to trade and try to be very respectful to them. In this situation I was taking a chance on something I otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford. I will be doing my research tomorrow and letting you fine folks know who this seller was. I remember at the time he had a bunch of books listed with some minor restorations in them. This was in November, so I will let you know when I find out. Don’t want anyone getting caught in the same trap as myself. Thanks again and I will be looking in to Paypal for the detail. Stay posted!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Noblebeast315 PayPal has a 180 days window counting from date of payment but again suggest to contact seller before opening a PayPal case
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Noblebeast315 PayPal has a 180 days window counting from date of payment but again suggest to contact seller before opening a PayPal case

YES.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Purchased on November 11 so think good I “Fast Passed” it or I would be screwed! Sorry, just a little CBCS TAT humor. Thank you for the advice I will be reviewing my PayPal account tomorrow and updating the vendor info. Thanks again for all the advice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ok I just did some digging and the eBay vendor who sold me the book was: just-the-keys-please (Sean Barr).
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Noblebeast315 maybe the seller suggested CBCS because he figured you wouldn't get the item back within the 6 month refund period .
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@Noblebeast315 maybe the seller suggested CBCS because he figured you wouldn't get the item back within the 6 month refund period .

Oh I know about the TAT’s so I “fast passed” it and I am glad I did.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked (just-the-keys-please) out
he restores and presses his own books.
Im guessing he knew about the tape and glue.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard of that seller, unfortunately none of it has been positive. I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay is full of jackals. Always ask for better pictures, especially if a book is listed as restored and the staples look recessed.

It's still on the seller, but you've got a bit of hand in this as well. Hopefully you get a refund, but regardless, it's a learning experience!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
I had a similar experience with the same seller. Purchased a copy of My Greatest Adventure 80. The listing title specifically stated No Restoration. Upon receiving the book I notice shiny new staples and tape on the interior of the cover to stabilize at the staple locations. He gave me grief for requesting to return the book and then sent follow-up messages of how happy he was going to be to have the book back. Book was listed again a month or two later, now with color touches listed, but still no disclosure of the staples and tape. Looking at his listings he ruins a lot of key books with his "minor color touches".
Post 22 IP   flag post
That seller is pure scum. I did eventually get a refund though PayPal, but I had to fight for two weeks to get it. PayPal kept denying my claims for various reasons but I kept calling and griping and sending them more and more pictures, until they finally got tired of me, and gave me my money back.

I personally think what this a-hole is doing is straight up fraud, and I wish there was a way to hold this guy accountable. I guess all we can do with him being in the UK is spread the word that “Just-the-keys-please” is a big time crook who will take your money and give you a shiny turd.
Post 23 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
eBay will only refund the amount you paid. They are not responsible for anything after that. Shitty sellers are scums.

Here’s a good good seller. He has a wearhouse out here in Dallas. And he was the one that got the little key book called “Action Comics #1” CGC 9.0. The first one that was sold to Nicholas.

https://www.ebay.com/str/comicwarehouse
Post 24 IP   flag post
598071 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?