Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeQuestions

To restore, or not restore, that's the question8406

Collector roasty private msg quote post Address this user
I have some 1940's and 50's comics that already have "amateur restoration" including tape or glue on them. Some have some *unfortunate* writing on them which the appearance is less than the grade. Some are in the $10k+ range if in better grade.

Is it better to have someone like herorestoration work on these or leave alone?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
hard to say without any images of the books
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
Restoration removal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
@roasty I would leave them as is
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Old books have a leniency factor, it seems. I would leave them
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@roasty

Leave them, or possibly restoration removal as @jgzachary13 said
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
make sure you distinguish between Restoration and Conservation....but like the others in here, I'd leave them alone....Press n' Clean at most.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Remove the amateur resto, writing isn't always a big deal but can be taken care of with a good clean and press.

Restored books go for about 1/3rd or less of what unrestored books go for. For example: Action Comics 1, 2 copies sold last year, both graded CGC 8.5
One unrestored, the other restored (A3, trimmed).
Unrestored sale price: $2,052,000
Restored sale price: $261,427

And that is for arguably the most prized comic book ever.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
With books valued that high that already have amateur work done, it may be worth making them better through restoration since you'll be getting that grade anyway. Tough decision.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgzachary13
Restoration removal.

All the way.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Restoration removal.

All the way.

Does Restoration removal (if done correctly) guarantee a non-restored designation from CGC or CBCS?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Roasty,
I bought YOUNG ALLIES #1. It was a rough 2.5 grade. I had it restored, graded (now a 6.5) and it sits in my collection. I say it depends on what you want to do with it. Are you willing to get it graded, sell it with the hope of making a profit or to keep it in your collection. It's all up to you and by the way I bought it at auction for $2,500.00 and restoration was $950.00. It's mine and in my collection forever.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Restoration removal.

Depends on the level of restoration. If light restoration - then yes potentially - if moderate / heavy restoration - leave it.

But really depends what the purpose is, so why are you considering?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I would think that the people who perform the restoration (or the removal) could look at the books and help you figure out which ones are worth changing and which books you should leave alone.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, do prescreening on restoration removal and they will email you if the book is a good candidate or not. I got lucky. I had a Hulk 181 that came back purple 7.0 restored but now after removal it got graded a blue 6.5. Not all books will fall under that lucky scenario.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Never Restore.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
mine was Amazing Fantasy 15...cgc 3.0 restored because i used some glue to keep a tear from spresding...CBCS advised not to remove glue..regraded 3 conserved....the cover is not good..would a real restoration upgrade it enough to make it worthwhile?? thanks
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@roasty If they are already restored, there is no harm in furthering the restoration if it meets your goal (whatever that may be). If its to increase its financial value, you could go both ways either with removal or further restoration.

I think if you are really on the fence and the responses here are mixed then you should consider getting it restoration/removal screened - some places offer this option. They get it in their hands and take a look before determining the best route.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone makes great points here. Images would help these pros advise you. Also, like ststed, are you collecting/keeping or selling?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector roasty private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of interesting comments. The plan is likely to sell most (got bills to pay).
Post 20 IP   flag post
596798 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?