Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New Personal AW application process8388

CBCS Jake_Fleming private msg quote post Address this user
There is a new way of applying to personally witness your books at signing events and conventions. Best of all, it's easy to use and available to everyone, 24/7.

Clicking here will bring you directly to the application.

Let us know what you think!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jake_Fleming do you have to do a minimal amount of books
Post 2 IP   flag post
@ONLINE_209 Currently, there is a minimum submission number of 5 books. Now that doesn't mean that all 5 have to be witnessed signatures. For example 4 of the 5 could be just regular blue label submissions if you like, but the order would have to meet that minimum.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been an outspoken critic of self-witnessing in the yellow label program at CBCS for years. The practice is not eliminated, it is now streamlined!

Ouch.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jake_Fleming thanks for the reply good to know
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I’ve been an outspoken critic of self-witnessing in the yellow label program at CBCS for years. The practice is not eliminated, it is now streamlined!

Ouch.

We've heard the criticisms of the program from a few people, but we have no intention of doing away with it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Fleming
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Ouch.

We've heard the criticisms of the program from a few people, but we have no intention of doing away with it.

Thank goodness....i have a dinner with Perez and Starlin commong up in June! I know some may have issues but in circumstances like mine I'll have a ticket a lanyard and photos of the event and while held in conjunction with the main convention we can't expect witnesses to be everywhere including after hour events!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like this is intended for individual events? Would a person have to apply for each event or would AW status just stick once approved?

The bit about the end about submitting your books to CBCS doesn't make sense to me. If CBCS is at an event why would you ever need to witness your own books? I can't see a circumstance outside of CBCS failing to staff properly. The only reason I could see CBCS allowing someone to witness their own signatures is if neither CBCS nor a listed facilitator is at the event at all. Or to put it another way, the only expected way for CBCS to get self-witnessed books should be through the mail.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
It looks like this is intended for individual events? Would a person have to apply for each event or would AW status just stick once approved?

The bit about the end about submitting your books to CBCS doesn't make sense to me. If CBCS is at an event why would you ever need to witness your own books? I can't see a circumstance outside of CBCS failing to staff properly. The only reason I could see CBCS allowing someone to witness their own signatures is if neither CBCS nor a listed facilitator is at the event at all. Or to put it another way, the only expected way for CBCS to get self-witnessed books should be through the mail.

I think that would be for people in my situation. I paid to have dinner with Starlin and Perez and as part of that you can have 3 items signed free (so dinner pays for itself $130 for dinner and 3 items signed or 3 items x$$ - almost the same! plus I can hear some interesting stories and maybe ask a few questions!!). I would not expect CBCS to be at the dinner too! In any other circumstance I would just hand the books to the guys at the booth. And yes this is just for individual events, I believe the old one was also only for individual events.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to hand your books to CBCS if they were at the event and you self witnessed - free shipping baby!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
What about if Cbcs is not at the show how would that work can you just send it in.
Im going to east coast comic con and dont see cbcs listed
Starlin and Perez will be there and wont to get a few books signed.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

I think that would be for people in my situation. I paid to have dinner with Starlin and Perez and as part of that you can have 3 items signed free (so dinner pays for itself $130 for dinner and 3 items signed or 3 items x$$ - almost the same! plus I can hear some interesting stories and maybe ask a few questions!!). I would not expect CBCS to be at the dinner too! In any other circumstance I would just hand the books to the guys at the booth. And yes this is just for individual events, I believe the old one was also only for individual events.

This is exactly the kind of situation I think they should allow. But if CBCS is at the con in general, if not the dinner, they could still meet you beforehand, see the items you'll get signed, maybe take pictures of them for reference, etc. Then you would give them to CBCS the next day.

People are obviously afraid of abuse. CBCS should try to limit the number of times people would self-witness as well as put as many checks on the process as it takes to make people feel comfortable they aren't going to get a fake signature.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@xkonk This is limited. The OP doesn't mention it, but not all applications are approved. In fact, very few are, and there is a vetting process. The only thing that has been streamlined is the application process.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@xkonk This is limited. The OP doesn't mention it, but not all applications are approved. In fact, very few are, and there is a vetting process. The only thing that has been streamlined is the application process.

The form mentions that not all applications are approved. That's obviously fine. The rest of it (why you might be approved or not approved, what the background check/vetting process is, what checks CBCS has on the process) is opaque, which is definitely on-brand for CBCS. Maybe y'all should try putting out some more info in a place where interested people can get it easily. Like on the website, maybe.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The OP doesn't mention it, but not all applications are approved. In fact, very few are, and there is a vetting process. The only thing that has been streamlined is the application process.

That is great to hear. I get that it makes things more convenient for people at shows where CBCS will not be, and will generate business as well, which are both good things; my concern has always just been the potential for fraud which would devalue the CBCS yellow.
Post 14 IP   flag post
How about when witnessing your own books being signed you have that person hold the book you take a picture of them holding said signed book and you turn that in as well
Post 15 IP   flag post
How soon after getting a book signed do you have to have it shipped off to CBCS and how many days do you get until it reaches CBCS
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209
How soon after getting a book signed do you have to have it shipped off to CBCS and how many days do you get until it reaches CBCS

Must be post marked within 2 weeks of the event..can take as long as you want once in the mail system just need that nice stamp saying when it was dropped off
Post 17 IP   flag post
@KatKomics thanks for the reply I appreciate it
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209

Must be post marked within 2 weeks of the event..can take as long as you want once in the mail system just need that nice stamp saying when it was dropped off
This is ONLY if CBCS is not present at the event. If it's a convention that we have a booth at Personal AW's are required to submit those books at the booth by the end of the convention.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@TimBildhauser I understand that
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Just a few questions. I submitted an application, in the field where it says "Why do you want to be an AW". With the old process, initially I had to write and submit a brief history of my interest in signed books and my background about myself. Is this something you have on file when I submit this application or do I need to provide a long detailed explanation again (I'm fine doing either). With this submission I just made, I was pretty brief as I have done a few AW events in the past. Do I need to be highly detailed with every application now or do you cross reference me with a file that you have?

Thanks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Buckets private msg quote post Address this user
I emailed a signed AW agreement a few weeks back for an upcoming convention this weekend but have yet to receive a reply for the sign off agreement. I may have outdated information as the last convention I visited was San Diego Comic Con. I have also tried to call and left messages each time to no avail.

Does anyone have any updated email or phone number to submit a signed AW agreement?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Just a few questions. I submitted an application, in the field where it says "Why do you want to be an AW". With the old process, initially I had to write and submit a brief history of my interest in signed books and my background about myself. Is this something you have on file when I submit this application or do I need to provide a long detailed explanation again (I'm fine doing either). With this submission I just made, I was pretty brief as I have done a few AW events in the past. Do I need to be highly detailed with every application now or do you cross reference me with a file that you have?

Thanks.

I did the same too
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
“Why do you want to be an AW” well because the entire CBSC staff attended C2E2 2015 got tired of witnessing for me so they threw me the AW form and said to leave them alone. Sixty-nine books and some with 19 sigs. So and the rest is history.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector AaronDodd private msg quote post Address this user
I applied over a week ago and haven't heard a thing? Can you help me please.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Jklugh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Does that me we might not get approved even if we were approved before?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Jklugh private msg quote post Address this user
Also if I'm going to local comic book signing should I Mark private signing?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I got my AW approval overnight sometime. Looks like it is really streamlined now.

If I understand correctly there is no paperwork involved for submitting to CBCS now with your books and the approval date / event for AW is tied to your e-mail address you use for submissions. That should really help them with processing time as I remember missing paperwork with submissions was an issue before.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
Just got my AW approval
Post 29 IP   flag post
How far in advance should we request our AW?? I have a dinner in early June!
Post 30 IP   flag post
248155 71 30
destitute