Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I know I've said for a long time that slabbing has really gotten out of hand, but I'm the old fart. Can someone please tell me why anyone would slab these? Basically books from the dollar bin in $20 worth of slabs with an extra $20 in shipping.

So what is the mindset to sending books like these in? I don't get it. These were in a pawn shop at $5 each.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Some people look at a census and see there are no graded copies of a comic. They assume that equates to rarity. OR, they think there is inherent value in grading regardless of the comic. "Hey I spend $1.00 on this and $20 grading to sell for $60".
Post 2 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
"Hey I spend $1.00 on this and $20 grading to sell for $60".

I do see that quite often, but usually there is at least a $20 book involved. I believe that the answer is that people are trying to create value where there is none.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
some times it's for the covers but those aren't too worthy of slabbing for covers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Many of the WTF would they grade this? is because of inexperienced sellers (auction houses, pickers, estate sellers, etc) who have no knowledge of comics will figure the best way to maximize the money or ability to sell comics is to get them graded - so they ship off an entire collection to be graded. No rhyme or reason to which books or conditions.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I got this back in my latest batch!

Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I was expecting slabs doing keggers on the beach with wet shirts on - disappointed in this thread
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I got this back in my latest batch!

This i don't have an issue with. 1. It's signed. 2. maybe it's a comic from childhood with some sort of meaning to you. I have a coverless SuperPowers comic from the early 80s that was my first comic. Probably wouldn't submit, but maybe if I could get it signed just for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I was expecting slabs doing keggers on the beach with wet shirts on - disappointed in this thread
Yeah, I know. I was being dramatic.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
lol @KatKomics
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
It’s this very reason why the TATs for both CBCS and CGC are way longer than they should be. It’s a product of uninformed collectors trying to make a buck and bogging down the entire system...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Many of the WTF would they grade this? is because of inexperienced sellers (auction houses, pickers, estate sellers, etc) who have no knowledge of comics will figure the best way to maximize the money or ability to sell comics is to get them graded - so they ship off an entire collection to be graded. No rhyme or reason to which books or conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
"Hey I spend $1.00 on this and $20 grading to sell for $60".

I do see that quite often, but usually there is at least a $20 book involved. I believe that the answer is that people are trying to create value where there is none.

seriously though I think these are the reasons
Post 12 IP   flag post
OK, full disclosure. Pawn shop find at $5 each. I did buy them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the book has been signed slabbing is a way to confirm the signature.

Also, sellers do not have to offer returns on ebay for slabbed books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Value / resale isn't the only reason to get a book slabbed.
My son is putting together a submission of about 10 books and only 1 makes sense from a financial standpoint. He's submitting (1) The first comic he ever owned (2) some of his favorite books (3) books he liked and swiped from me and (4) books he wants to hang on his walls and thinks would look better / more of a conversation piece in a slab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@VaComicsGuy Agreed. i don’t really like to bother myself by worrying about what other people do. They have their own reasons which may or may not make sense to me just as mine may not make sense to others.

Additionally, I don’t really think these books show slabbing going wild as the Detective Comics was graded in 2003 and the other is even older so they’re from the early days of slabbing. Not to say that books like these don’t get slabbed today but these particular books should be acquitted of all crimes lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
OK, full disclosure. Pawn shop find at $5 each. I did buy them.

Sometimes these seemingly pointless slabs turn into good deals for buyers. A couple years ago I wanted a copy of Detective 854. My LCS had none, so I looked on ebay, figuring I'd be spending $7 or $8 for comic and shipping. Found a slabbed 9.8 on auction, starting at $9.99 with free priority shipping. I was the only bidder. I gave it a 50/50 chance I'd get some sort of excuse email about how the comic was already sold or something like that, but to the seller's credit, he shipped it to me. I felt a little bad about it, given that just shipping it cost more than I paid, let alone the cost of slabbing.

That's the most extreme example, but I'd say about a third of my slabbed books (and virtually all the ones that aren't particularly valuable) came from auctions that somehow flew under the radar.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Grading Moderns so that one can get either the highly coveted 9.8; or experience the dismay of that paltry 9.6 which clearly is inferior to the 9.8.
These submitters failed in their raw grade assessment. Pity.

I still marvel at the 9.8 fantasy; it's impact in the industry; and its impact on people.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Lol. Great response.

From someone’s perspective the same can be said for all slabs. Low grade keys and high grade moderns may not make sense to others. I have some that I have because of the cover or the importance to me on a personal level. To each his own and to you a cheap find that sparked a memorable thread. Or at least it may end up being that. I say every one should post wtf photos to see how crazy it can get.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user

For the cover only.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers which is why a seller never should offer free shipping in auctions.

Great one though
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If the book has been signed slabbing is a way to confirm the signature.

Also, sellers do not have to offer returns on ebay for slabbed books.

Not if you’re a top rated plus seller.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Value / resale isn't the only reason to get a book slabbed.
My son is putting together a submission of about 10 books and only 1 makes sense from a financial standpoint. He's submitting (1) The first comic he ever owned (2) some of his favorite books (3) books he liked and swiped from me and (4) books he wants to hang on his walls and thinks would look better / more of a conversation piece in a slab.

About a year ago I sent in (Phoenix con) around 13 comics. Some were definitely for value but others were dollar bin beauties. A couple looked so pristine I thought maybe they could score a 9.9 or a 10. I think most people go for value but some do it for the spectacular artwork or sentiment.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Still 5 buck deals are always a plus . congratulations!🎈
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know why people grade the books they get graded, but it costs zero dollars to worry about myself.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelowe
Quote:

Lol. Great response.

From someone’s perspective the same can be said for all slabs. Low grade keys and high grade moderns may not make sense to others. I have some that I have because of the cover or the importance to me on a personal level. To each his own and to you a cheap find that sparked a memorable thread. Or at least it may end up being that. I say every one should post wtf photos to see how crazy it can get.

Agreed. I have a 9.4 signed Shadowhawk 1. Doesn’t have much value but was my favorite book / series when I was younger.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS and CGC both make their businesses thrive by having customers, they make the same amount on a $1 book as they do a $100 book. We should be encouraging people to use their services as much as possible. Who cares as to the reason why someone would want to slab toilet paper, you didn't lose any money.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector billkruser5 private msg quote post Address this user
I am sending in Batman Rebirth #16 only because its for my nephew who was born the week that issue came out. So hopefully he can look back on it and be like "wow, my cool uncle got me hooked and bought this for me."
While I come across slabs that make me scratch my head, I also get it. Cool covers, favorite issues, gifts for others, sentimental value.....
Besides, this is 'Merica. If someone wants to part with their money, who are we to say no?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5
Besides, this is 'Merica. If someone wants to part with their money, who are we to say no?

I agree with that. Let's face it, I think we all know people that think the whole hobby is just for children and don't understand it at all.

But I asked this question originally just to get the collectors point of view. I have some books that are sentimental, but never felt the need to spend and extra $50 on slabbing and shipping. I've also bought my fair share of books just because the cover was cool. But to me, slabbing a $5-10 book (heck, even a $100 book) is just chewing into the overall collection value. So there is some method to my madness.

But like me and many others say on here, to each his own.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
People probably underestimate how much it cost to slab a book.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601453 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?