Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignaturesSigning OpportunitiesWant to Buy

Signing advice for Captain Kirk (Shatner)8366

Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
hi all. just need some advice for an opportunity I will have at the end of march for Shatner. I can only afford 3 autos and was wondering what to have him sign, one will be the hallmark keepsake with him on captains chair, and have a star trek marvel number one 1980 9.8, a dc number one 1984 9.6 or better, and a dell number 2 8.5 or so. or any other comic or maybe something else you can think of. thank you for any help. and I finally get to meet all the original actors from the first series. (YAY) oh yes cbcs will be there too at Planet Comicon
Post 1 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe in paying for signatures. But that's just my opinion. I understand those who do though. I don't like signatures on comic book covers either, prefer the old days when signatures were on the bottom of the inside 1st page. 😀
Post 2 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
But if I had to chose for you donho I would have him sign the Dell #2. Although I have no idea what Dell 2 is, it sounds old.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I would get either a comic that has him on the cover

Or a non-star trek comic that he was involved with

Post 4 IP   flag post
dell comics from 1969 I think the first series star trek comics
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I have a crew photo with all of the original crews autograph on it. Why not have him sign a photo of himself as Captain Kirk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I don't believe in paying for signatures. But that's just my opinion. I understand those who do though. I don't like signatures on comic book covers either, prefer the old days when signatures were on the bottom of the inside 1st page. 😀

Agree 100% with bottom of 1st page!
That said, I also am attending the Shatner signing and will be bringing two of the same books. 1 for on the cover (to sell); and 1 for me (inside of 1st page).
I just can't fight the hordes any more that believe the cover is the place for signatures on pre-2000 comics. So I've given up and just accepted that's what folks want and what sells
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I would take the money you are budgeting for three signatures and put it into the best single Dell issue you can find (preferably a good Shattner cover) and have him sign that issue.

Another idea would be to get your Dell # 2 signed and put money toward a second book to have him sign.
Post 8 IP   flag post
What does Shatner charge for his signature?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector DangerTrail private msg quote post Address this user
I had him sign the incredibly great Drew Struzan poster. You can get a copy on Ebay for $10 or less. My entire family loves Star Trek so I went the extra mile and had it linen backed to keep it mint. It was worth it to me but I am sure there are those who disagree. Anyway, Mr. Shatner asked me how I wanted it signed and I asked him to add "Capt. Kirk" below his autograph. He even asked me if I was sure that I wanted his name on top and I assured him that I did. It was a really nice 45 seconds. By the way, his assistants helped orient and hold the poster and they were obviously very aware of handling my poster and other peoples items with great care.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DangerTrail private msg quote post Address this user
This is a picture of the poster from Ebay. I am not at home so can't post a picture of mine.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
What are you planning on doing with them? If they're for you; get him to sign something that has meaning. I, personally, like to get people to sign something they actually had a role in. He created Tek World; instead of just being a character in something someone else wrote. If you're looking to sell, look around for what will give you the best value; I have no idea what that would be.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion is that the Gold Key comics didn't really have many Kirk covers, they were mostly Spock as he was driving sales...

I think Marvel #1 is the nicest of the cover, just my opinion....

Post 13 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I wanna say $85??? migne be closer to $100 now though

I had him sign the back of Star Trek #1 (the photo back cover from the 60's) - is at home but I think it was 5.5 might press up a point if I sent in again.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Speaking of signatures, does this look like a John Byrne legit one?

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
There are 2 ways to answer this.

Option 1: Get what you want signed. What matters most to you and your collection

Option 2: Go to eBay, type in "Signed Shatner" and click on the "Sold" tab. Sort by "Highest First" and you will see what commands the most money.

Maybe Options 1 & 2 will have overlap.

I have a struggle with the hobby, getting things signed and paying good money for signatures, when you will inevitably lose money doing it (I've made a career of losing money)... but, I think there's a middle ground there somewhere.

Good luck
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

Definitely the COTEOF one!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
also tons of trading cards out there if you wanted to make a matted framed comic and card....also might consider one of the records he has been recorded doing lyrics for.....
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Commission an artist to do a sketch on a blank cover like this one (Below) and then have him sign the cover afterwards

Post 20 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Commission an artist to do a sketch on a blank cover like this one (Below) and then have him sign the cover afterwards

This!
Post 21 IP   flag post
so a megan levens sketch of him then have him sign it?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
A friend of mine got this signed for me.Shatner was in Palm Springs shooting a movie and was good enough to sign my Star Trek #2.

Not the best condition, didn't have a lot of time to find a good copy.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmmm you might want to get that certified.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Hmmmm you might want to get that certified.

Yea, it didn't cost me anything to get it signed. If it's fake then oh well.
If I send it in to get graded ,it would be the last Comic that I would send.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Speaking of signatures, does this look like a John Byrne legit one?

Good luck trying to figure that out. Byrne sigs are all over the place.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I wanna say $85??? migne be closer to $100 now though

I had him sign the back of Star Trek #1 (the photo back cover from the 60's) - is at home but I think it was 5.5 might press up a point if I sent in again.

for this one 75 or 80
Post 27 IP   flag post
got a megan levens sketch on Bristol of kirk from The Wrath of Khan but couldn't find a blank cover to save my life and will pick up at the con in march from her, but waist up and in color. also the dc star trek number one 9.6 cbcs yellow label with perez. and I think it will also be the marvel number one. and also thinking of the cover proofs of either tekwar and/or my enemy my ally paperback covers.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
A friend of mine got this signed for me.Shatner was in Palm Springs shooting a movie and was good enough to sign my Star Trek #2.

Not the best condition, didn't have a lot of time to find a good copy.

That does not look like Bill's signature.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I met Bill Shatner in 2011 at Emerald City Comic Con. I sent this to my dad one year I think in 2013-2015 for his birthday or Christmas or something I can't remember... Haven't seen the book since.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?