Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Reused cover art?8361

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
This has come up in passing a couple of times in other threads but it got me wondering about examples of cover art that is reused from one book to another, not to deride these books for any reason, but out of curiosity to see what kind of art is reused and on what books. I don't mean using the same cover on a reprint, foreign edition, or collected edition but when cover art is reused on a completely different book. I can see these books as a way of making popular cover art more widely available if they were originally used on books that are now highly priced or rare.

I've identified a few examples

House of M #2 - Dodson Cover

Avengers Annual #10 Legends Reprint

Captain Marvel #1 - Hughes Variant

Life of Captain Marvel (2018) #1 Unknown Comics Variant

Foreign books are a little different but I think this example applies:

Harley Quinn #1 - Hughes Variant

Harley Quinn Special - LootChest Edition (reprints Harley Quinn Annual)

Do you guys know of other examples?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Any of Francesco Mattina’s art is ripped off from somewhere else. Does that count? There’s a lot of it!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user

These are for the same cover story (reprint) - years apart. There are other examples. I just don't own them.

Note that different cover artists are credited according to CGC...
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing spiderman #678 and venom #1. (2018)

Post 5 IP   flag post
@LeeK I wonder if they have different credits because they are colored slightly differently.

Also, they don’t have to be books you own, I’m just curious to see examples of the practice
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Spawn #227 and Spawn #thx

I LOVE they reused this cover but made it chromium.. I often get stuck staring at the thx cover like a deer in the headlights while flicking through the box its in.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
@doog interesting. Do you happen to know if the two issues have any shared stories like in the example @LeeK posted?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
that asm she-venom 678 has eluded me for quite some time, and the 688 lizard variant
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Finally looked, not a single story duplicated. I just assumed the same stories, now I have some more fine reading, many thanks
Post 11 IP   flag post
600783 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?