Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Restoration Check8330

Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
What is the best way to check your books for restoration? I have been burned with TWO in my last submission and I didn't have a clue. Is there a good source for me to learn what to look for?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector tim private msg quote post Address this user
Following....I have submitted for grading and had the same issue.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Get a black light, that should help with color touch issues.

Look online to find videos or pictures to help you recognize trimming. Big spoiler - it isn't about the measurement! You have to get to know how a stack of paper that is folded over (i.e. the comic book pages folded at the spine) spreads out a little in the middle, and overhang or imperfections in alignment with the cover. If it looks way too perfect it might be.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
A black light can reveal a lot of restoration.

Trimming (so long as it's not a hack job) can be very, very hard to detect, especially on older books. The GA was the wild west of comic sizes, sometimes varying from issue to issue within the same title.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
There's a lot that UV Black Lights do not detect.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Ditch the blacklight.

Bright LED is best. Look for spots in the cover or spine paper fibers that are broken yet still have color; there’s your sign.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
Also - and it might be obvious, but still - look on the back side of each page (mainly the front and back). Any bleed through is a sure sign of color touch with a marker.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
As a few others have said, I believe black lights give collectors a false since of security. A bright light is probably more effective. The obvious clue on amateur color touch is any bleed through. Professional can be really hard to spot. Run your finger lightly across the book. Acrylic paint has a different feel than printer's ink.

The Collector's society boards (CGC) has a permanent sticky on detecting restoration. It's about as good a guide as I have seen.

I can't detect trimming unless it was a kid with scissors. Vintage comics simply vary too much in cutting and size.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/389-how-to-spot-restoration/
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Awesome information. Thanks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@mrelowe

If you don't have the sense/knowledge to discern unaltered raw books, always assume it's a gamble and don't be surprised if something comes back restored.

So you either have to gain the knowledge, or buy only slabbed books from a reputable place/person(double protection for yourself).

That's just my two cents, but otherwise sorry to hear about the bad news. There are so many scammers out there which sucks for us all!

LED & Black Lights can both do a fine job depending on the type of restoration.
Also check for ink bleeds, as someone suggested.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Great link!
Post 11 IP   flag post
601251 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?