Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Detective #1000 JeeHyung Lee Virgin + Trade, Sold Out, except...8319

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
This is the JeeHyung Lee Harley Quinn variant for Detective Comics #1000. Nice cover. The set (trade + virgin) was selling for $55 at Frankies Comics and Golden Apple, but sold out super fast. (You can still order the trade only.)

HOWEVER ... Forbidden Planet in the UK is ALSO selling this set, and it just went on sale (a bit earlier than advertised, I think). If you want to buy this, it is already selling for 2-3x the retail price on eBay. Only one set per customer. @poka, I assume you'll be all over this. And who was it loves variants? @kaptainmyke? @shrewbeer?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
The Jerry Robinson swipe tops all for me!!!!

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it....liked the cover, but refuse to buy it on the premise that Harley should not be the focal point of this issue’s cover. Of the first 1000 issues, How many detective comic issues has she appearaed in? I think you might count them on one hand.

This reminds me of the marvel themed variants where they’re slapping a character like Conan on a cover of every title to boost sales. I boycott those as well.

Edit: found a site that lists here appearances...a few more than I thought, it still not enough to convince me this isn’t a cash grab.

Detective Comics #737 (August, 1999): "The Code, Part Two"
Detective Comics #740 (December, 1999): "Shellgame, Part 2"
Detective Comics #741 (December, 1999): "Endgame, Part Three: Sleep in Heavenly Peace..."
Detective Comics #789 (December, 2003): "The Tailor, Part 1" [Note: Costume Cameo]
Detective Comics #821 (July, 2006): "The Beautiful People" [Cameo]
Detective Comics #823 (August, 2007): "Stalked" [Cameo]
Detective Comics #831 (April, 2007): "Kind of Like Family"
Detective Comics #837 (October, 2007): "Honor Among Thieves"
Detective Comics #850 (November, 2008): "Heart of Hush: The Demon in the Mirror" [Cameo]
Detective Comics #851 (December, 2008): "Last Days of Gotham" [Cover Only]
Detective Comics #853 (April, 2009): "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Part 2 of 2"
Detective Comics Annual #11 (2009): "Question and Answer"
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
To many Detective #1000 covers.Just like Action Comics #1000 and see how that came out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
To many Detective #1000 covers.Just like Action Comics #1000 and see how that came out.

What he said - exactly my sentiments.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Variants are the future. It'll keep the hobby going for decades to come!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Variants are the future. It'll keep the hobby going for decades to come!

LOL!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
This reminds me of the marvel themed variants where they’re slapping a character like Conan on a cover of every title to boost sales. I boycott those as well.

Oh, yeah, I hate that. I boycott those for exactly the same reason. Those have NOTHING to do with the inside. Who wants an X-Men comic with a Conan cover? Doesn't make any kind of sense.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Oh, yeah, I hate that. I boycott those for exactly the same reason. Those have NOTHING to do with the inside. Who wants an X-Men comic with a Conan cover? Doesn't make any kind of sense.

Came on here to post the same argument.

I'm not saying it's bad art, but what does Harley have anything to do with issue #1,000

My guess would be very little... or, probably nothing.

Second Complaint:

When did this "Trade Dress" come into effect. I feel like this is a relatively new term, ever since "Virgin Variant" became a thing.
Comic books are already a niche market that gets teased to death by the general public. Can we please not add fuel to the fire by using the word dress in our vocabulary as well?

I mean, come on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid i passed on it but will get a few Trade copies
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
The reason there are so many covers for TEC 1000 is because DC decides which (few) comics they will allow shops to do store variants.

Unlike Marvel where shops tell marvel which comics they would like to do a store cover for and marvel will then say yes or no.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
The Jerry Robinson swipe tops all for me!!!!

for my dollars this is the winner
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
2 or 3 are so still doing OK..
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II

Second Complaint:

When did this "Trade Dress" come into effect. I feel like this is a relatively new term, ever since "Virgin Variant" became a thing.
Comic books are already a niche market that gets teased to death by the general public. Can we please not add fuel to the fire by using the word dress in our vocabulary as well?

I mean, come on.

I honestly can’t tell if you’re being serious or just facetious but trade dress has been a legal term for decades that “generally refers to characteristics of the visual appearance of a product or its packaging that signify the source of the product to consumers.” In other words, the appropriate term for the distinctive fonts, logos, and other visual material that are added on top of the cover art that identifies the book
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
You can apparently buy more than 1 “variant” cover at Forbidden Planet, but lists the run as 3,000, which I presume is actually the Trade Dress. The virgin was limited to 1,000 or just the trade-virgin set? When did the limited trade dress become a thing? Trade versus virgin is one thing, but trade versus limited trade versus virgin seems to be splitting proverbial hairs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I got the virgin 9.8 Lee Variant before it sold out in minutes. It's a lot like Lee's Spider Gwen: Ghost Spider variant.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgzachary13
You can apparently buy more than 1 “variant” cover at Forbidden Planet, but lists the run as 3,000, which I presume is actually the Trade Dress. The virgin was limited to 1,000 or just the trade-virgin set? When did the limited trade dress become a thing? Trade versus virgin is one thing, but trade versus limited trade versus virgin seems to be splitting proverbial hairs.

The virgin edition of this cover is limited to 1000, and the trade skirt, I mean dress, is limited to 3000. I don't know how many sets they sold but assume it is something under 1000, since you can't buy the virgin by itself unless you are buying the graded (9.8) copy.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke When did your variant boycott end?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I got the virgin 9.8 Lee Variant before it sold out in minutes. It's a lot like Lee's Spider Gwen: Ghost Spider variant.

Yes, that is definitely what they were going for. I am guessing a 1000/3000 edition is more limited than a 1:100 (Spider-Gwen). But I'm not sure. Does anyone know?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's #complicated
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

It's #complicated

2019 is the year of no shop variants for me.

I still look at them, but when they cost 4-10 times the regular comic costs, I'd rather buy more regular priced comics.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The last variants I bought were the Dell'Otto variants for Punisher #1 & 2 of the most recent series. The cover art was cool, but after I got them, I don't believe they were worth the price paid. I don't really care for the fad, but other folks enjoy it, so more power to them. On the plus side, I sold about 10 variants of Star Wars #1 this past week, so Operation: Unload the Crap is starting off well.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I love the Dell Otto stuff like BWL and just had to get The Punisher #1 cgc to go with his art and to raw comics free Canada.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II

Second Complaint:

I mean, come on.

I honestly can’t tell if you’re being serious or just facetious but trade dress has been a legal term for decades that “generally refers to characteristics of the visual appearance of a product or its packaging that signify the source of the product to consumers.” In other words, the appropriate term for the distinctive fonts, logos, and other visual material that are added on top of the cover art that identifies the book

Half half. Half serious half joking.

I know why they are called that way, but your definition was pretty bang on exactly and clear.

It's just, a dumb name. I also argue that the term comic book also degrades the genre.

I have been having a frequent touch point with the hobby on stigma.

And although people don't think it's a thing, or they dont necessarily care about it, stigma is strong enough to snuff out anything, and I argue there is a stigma with comic books
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DJC_II While I understand the point you are trying to make I disagree that we must appease the lowest common denominator, especially when it comes to correct terminology. There will always be a couple of students that giggle and laugh in an anthropology class whenever the professor says the word “homo.”

Additionally, I don’t see anything degrading about the use of a word as innocuous as “dress.” One homophone does refer to a garment worn primarily by women but that in itself shouldn’t be considered degrading. Additionally, dress has additional homophones that are far more universal: dressing on salad, getting dressed in the morning, dressing up to go out, etc.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Part of the Scottish part of my heritage even the men wear dresses!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@DJC_II While I understand the point you are trying to make I disagree that we must appease the lowest common denominator, especially when it comes to correct terminology. There will always be a couple of students that giggle and laugh in an anthropology class whenever the professor says the word “homo.”

Additionally, I don’t see anything degrading about the use of a word as innocuous as “dress.” One homophone does refer to a garment worn primarily by women but that in itself shouldn’t be considered degrading. Additionally, dress has additional homophones that are far more universal: dressing on salad, getting dressed in the morning, dressing up to go out, etc.

Listen, it's great that you want to wave the political flag, and stand right for the proper terms (and I don't mean that in a facetious sense), but... facts are facts.

Regardless of how you see it, comic books do not sell. They do not. And because they do not, companies are doing gimmicks and tricks to boost sales. Comic books especially do not sell when you really take into account what comic volumes used to sell at.

Now, we all know there are many reasons for the major, major decline. I argue one major factor is stigma. Regardless of how it is being interpreted now, the point is, is its interpretation.

And if you want the hobby and format to stay alive, it needs to be changed.

"Comic Book" doesn't sell. Just like "Doll" didn't sell for the male action figure line. I watch The Toys That Made Us... and their issues were all the same. This is not a doll, this is an action, figure.

This is not a dress.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
tempest in a terminology teapot
Post 28 IP   flag post
I got 42 different Detective #1000 covers put out so far.Wow.That must be a record.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
The thing I would like to complain about is that this art is old - from 2015 I think. I don't know if many books use old art for their variants since I don't pay a lot of attention to them, but it seems lazy. I bought one anyway because I like it
Post 30 IP   flag post
600865 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?