Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Kirby8313

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Ok guys I have a question. I picked up this mister miracle and it has tape at one time I quess cover the staples. Should I remove the tape or leave it as is. Also how much of a hit would it take because of the tape? If not for the tape it’s a nice book. I also picked up a high grade new gods. Any help would be appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Odd place for tape. From the gaps at the staples seen on the inner pics, it looks to me like there has been some amateur manipulation. It might explain the tape, though I don't know how.

I'd leave it as a reader.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The New Gods looks at least 9.2 from the front.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Old tape like that some tire moves quite easily if it is brittle. I have removed a bunch over the years when it is brown. Sometimes it just falls off too
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the staples were opened enough to place tape then closed over the tape. Or the staples were completely replaced. Either way it seems restorative in nature. I’d be unhappy if I purchased that without the tape having been disclosed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
If you are going to try to remove the tape, get a heat gun & be very careful, take your time. Then dry clean the area. Apply pressure on either side of the staple (north & south) if dry cleaning, so it doesn't rip the centerfold out. Hopefully others here will give you more pointers before you try.
Good luck.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Zombie_Head - That New Gods #1 looks great! But as far as the MM #1 is concerned, I wonder why the tape was placed only there in the first place. Could the centerfold have been detached at one time, and the tape was used to reinforce the staple area? Like @MR_SigS said, the staples may have been opened and re-closed. Another possibility is that the cover or one or more wraps were replaced or married, or the staples were replaced. Looks like you have a mystery on your hands.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
So even with the tape do you all think it will fall in the fine grade? Also thanks for the replies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I personally do not think it's worth submission, but your reasons for doing so may differ. The fees and the wait make finding one already graded sound better to me. I couldn't say how CBCS would treat this tape, or the removal of it- It's a first for me.

Leave it raw, I say.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. It’s probably not worth submitting the MM for grading/slabbing. Not only is the tape going to negativity impact the grade, but there could be other issues with this book that could result in notations on the label with regards to restoration, conservation, staple replacement, etc.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector fangene private msg quote post Address this user
I'll tell you exactly what happened here. Don Rosa in RBCC and a letter Stan Lee printed in an old Marvel Bullpen Bulletins BOTH recommended securing the staples in comics...because in Silver and Bronze Age comics staples FREQUENTLY popped through the cover and centerfold, especially on DCs...by opening the staples and placing magic tape underneath and then re-securing the staples. That way you had good tight staples forever because magic tape would hold forever and not turn brittle or break or fall off. It certainly solved a lot of loose cover or loose centerfold problems, but I have no idea how the professional slabbers handle grading such cases!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Fangene, love the history lesson! Thanks. Question: I am bidding on some high graded Gold age Superman's and they are from a pedigree collection that states "from the Davis Crippen collection ("D" Copy), what does the D copy stand for? Thank you... Nuff said.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector fangene private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently most of the comics in the Davis Crippen pedigree collection have a 'D' written on the comic, probably placed there by the store where he bought them. It's quite a valued collection I guess.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Fangene, love the history lesson! Thanks. Question: I am bidding on some high graded Gold age Superman's and they are from a pedigree collection that states "from the Davis Crippen collection ("D" Copy), what does the D copy stand for? Thank you... Nuff said.

http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#DAVIS_CRIPPEN_D_COPY
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Bandito!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Quote:

Thanks for posting. I had read this about a year ago but it is enjoyable to read again about the discovery and history of these amazing comic book finds.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangene
I'll tell you exactly what happened here. Don Rosa in RBCC and a letter Stan Lee printed in an old Marvel Bullpen Bulletins BOTH recommended securing the staples in comics...because in Silver and Bronze Age comics staples FREQUENTLY popped through the cover and centerfold, especially on DCs...by opening the staples and placing magic tape underneath and then re-securing the staples. That way you had good tight staples forever because magic tape would hold forever and not turn brittle or break or fall off. It certainly solved a lot of loose cover or loose centerfold problems, but I have no idea how the professional slabbers handle grading such cases!

That's awesome - I knew that DC of this era were susceptible to puled staples but never know about the suggested fix!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangene

Thank you for responding to this that makes sense.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Quote:

Thanks for posting. I had read this about a year ago but it is enjoyable to read again about the discovery and history of these amazing comic book finds.

Since it appears they are never going to release the book it would be nice if they could post the stories for all of the pedigrees. They must have a ton of information compiled from the project.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The Tom Reilly pedigree has an interesting story behind it. I recommend everyone here to check these stories out.
Post 20 IP   flag post
596780 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?