Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

The last Comic Book Stan Lee wrote?8303

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
As I was sorting my collection, I gave some 90's drek to my 8yr old son. He really enjoyed the Ravage 2099 #2 I gave him. I read it with him and noticed Stan lee wrote it himself. Looking into this series more it appears Stan wrote this series from issue 1-8. Are there any later books Stan actually wrote himself?
If this really is the last series Stan lee wrote I'm surprised issues 1-9 don't hold any more than junk status.

Of course I picked up a complete run to read with my boy. We are both excited to get through all 33 issues together.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I read Ravage 2099 back in the day and remembered I loved it but I have no copies anywhere now lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like issue 7 is last that gives Stan Lee credit for writing. Issue 8 gives him credit for plot. Issue 9 and up only gives Stan creator credit with Paul Ryan.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think he was supposed to write Archie Super Seven. But then there was a legal issue. So not sure that book ever came out. But that was around 2010/2011
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee has a writing credit on DC’s “Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe” as late as 2004

Post 5 IP   flag post
So Stan Lee's final writing was for DC? Didn't see that coming.

Is the Stan Lee story/stories in "Just Imagine Book 3" new material or a compilation from the single issues of "Just Imagine" series?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Joosh Ah, you’re right. The DC Universe books are the trades collecting the individual Just Imagine books he wrote through 2002
Post 7 IP   flag post

Assuming DC Just Imagine Vol/book 3 contains no new material then Crisis, published Sept 2002 is the last comic crediting Stan lee as writer, as far as I currently understand it.

Mycomicshop.com description claims that the Crisis story in DC Just Imagine Vol/book 3 (2004) is new, but the Crisis book was clearly published 2 years earlier. I plan to get both and see what's up.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
The last comic based on Stan Lee's work may be a British comic currently in development from TPub based on the British TV series starring James Nesbit, Stan Lee's Lucky Man.

I have no idea how much of the material for the TV series Stan Lee wrote or whether it was merely a concept that he pitched and sold, but he certainly got screen credit for it and I think he had a cameo in the third season as well. The comic series is being authored by other writers. This was reported in Bleeding Cool as streetdated for the summer of 2018.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector richgarc private msg quote post Address this user

this is Stan Lee’s last work
Post 10 IP   flag post
@richgarc If Stan did do the adaptation it’s weird that Marvel.com doesn’t give Stan a writing credit on the issue but does give one to Timm. Most sources I’ve seen credit Timm with adapting Lee’s story nor do I have the issue myself to see how it’s credited there
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@richgarc If Stan did do the adaptation it’s weird that Marvel.com doesn’t give Stan a writing credit on the issue but does give one to Timm. Most sources I’ve seen credit Timm with adapting Lee’s story nor do I have the issue myself to see how it’s credited there

It does seem odd, I agree.
I'm not convinced this would be his last comic book he wrote, because he wrote it ages ago and it was retold.
It seems like thus far his last Marvel book he wrote was Ravage 2099 #7, (#8 he is credited with plot only, ascending issues no writing credit.)
His last DC book being Just Imagine Crisis TPB as shown above, possibly the Vol 3 collection if it is, in fact, a new story by Stan.
The UK book @CatmanAmerica mentioned has me intrigued; I cannot find any details on it. I'd like to see if this is something Stan Lee actually wrote, or merely influenced.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Here’s the credits page for the story. Looks like Stan did provide the updated script

Post 13 IP   flag post
597993 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?