Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeGrading Help Needed

Removing Restoration8301

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious if anyone has experience with having restoration (in this case, slight color touch) removed from a book. I bought the Batman 42 you see below about seven or eight years ago. The dealer I bought it from claimed there was no restoration. I had it for a couple of years before I sent it in for grading. It came back not only showing color touch, but with a lower grade (5.0) than I feel it deserved. I think it's a beautiful book, with W/OW pages, firm binding, bright staples, perfectly centered, no chipping, nothing missing or damaged inside and only minor flaws on the cover. I don't have an account "over there" to access grader notes.

I'm considering sending it in for restoration removal, then a press and clean to see if it could get a better and unrestored grade. How realistic is that hope and what sort of price tag tends to be attached to removal? The color touch is slight A-1 professional.

Apologies for the imperfect pictures. My cheap scanner can't do a slab.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers

Your first step would be to buy the grader’s notes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Zordar private msg quote post Address this user
I think there is a good chance CCS could remove the restoration since it is slight and professional in nature.
I just started the process with my Hulk 181, it is $15 for screening, $85 for restoration removal, then $85 for pressing. The book was a 5.5 Slight B-1 along the spine, and they approved the removal.
We'll see how it goes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordar
I think there is a good chance CCS could remove the restoration since it is slight and professional in nature.
I just started the process with my Hulk 181, it is $15 for screening, $85 for restoration removal, then $85 for pressing. The book was a 5.5 Slight B-1 along the spine, and they approved the removal.
We'll see how it goes.

When I thought of restoration removal Matt Nelson is the first person that came to mind for me as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I am having cgc remove color touch on a Hulk 181 right now as I type this.

I too, think there is a good chance CCS could remove the restoration since it is slight and professional in nature. I just started the process with my Hulk 181 as well, it is $15 for screening, $85 for restoration removal, then $85 for pressing. My book was a 7.0 Slight B-1 along the spine, and they approved the removal too.

I would have done it myself but I had too many friends tell me to NOT attempt my first restoration removal on a Hulk 181 of all books to start with. I reluctantly agreed and sent it back to cgc....

Post 5 IP   flag post
601329 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?