Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. So I’ve done some sketch covers that I don’t see until they come back from grading. I’ve liked the experience of seeing the finished product and thought I would do that with my latest submission. Thing is, that sounded a lot better when I was waiting on the grading. Now that they’ve shipped, I’m seriously tempted to check my dashboard.

Have you ever tried a blind unpacking on purpose?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Can you withstand the suspense?? It would be hard to do so.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
My first shipment arrived before my dashboard said shipped so it was blind and suspenseful and fun. My next couple I was watching for shipping and one morning I logged in and bang. There were all the new books listed with the grades. Surprise surprise. It still was fun opening the box and seeing them live. But not quite as exciting as opening the box blind.🤩 I vote for blind, it’s a better rush. 🖖
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
My first shipment arrived before my dashboard said shipped so it was blind and suspenseful and fun. My next couple I was watching for shipping and one morning I logged in and bang. There were all the new books listed with the grades. Surprise surprise. It still was fun opening the box and seeing them live. But not quite as exciting as opening the box blind.🤩 I vote for blind, it’s a better rush. 🖖

I am going to remain blind, but it is soooooo tempting. I did log in and let a friend look but that is about as close as I have gotten. FedEx ground could help me out by getting them here before Tuesday's scheduled delivery.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer blind. Let's them "cook" more until they get to my house. I've always been disappointed when peeking at the grades.

For the record, My wife and I choose not to know the gender of our two kids as well until birth. Of course, one of the nurses blew the secret a few weeks before our second was born..."no one waits anymore!" Was her excuse for spoiling our surprise. But we kept it a secret from everyone else though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I have managed to be on this site and not check my dashboard. FedEx has Tuesday as my expected delivery day, but tracking has it in my state tonight. Maybe sooner?

Suspense is killing me but I am going to open the box with no idea of my grades. I'll check grader's notes after the initial shock wears off.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
. . .My wife and I choose not to know the gender of our two kids as well until birth. Of course, one of the nurses blew the secret a few weeks before our second was born..."no one waits anymore!" Was her excuse for spoiling our surprise. But we kept it a secret from everyone else though.

My wife and I didn't find out for either of our sons. A friend and his wife didn't want to know what they were having but a nurse told them and said "it was irresponsible not to know and prepare properly." They were furious. The Dr. fired the nurse and gave them $5000 in savings bonds for the kids education fund.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
. . .My wife and I choose not to know the gender of our two kids as well until birth. Of course, one of the nurses blew the secret a few weeks before our second was born..."no one waits anymore!" Was her excuse for spoiling our surprise. But we kept it a secret from everyone else though.

My wife and I didn't find out for either of our sons. A friend and his wife didn't want to know what they were having but a nurse told them and said "it was irresponsible not to know and prepare properly." They were furious. The Dr. fired the nurse and gave them $5000 in savings bonds for the kids education fund.

Holy cow! We shrugged it off because we really cared more about having a healthy child than it's gender. And we were at the hospital trying to stop preterm labor. Turns out my wife was lacking some enzymes. Doctor put her on some fluids, then told her to go home and have a big glass of red wine and healthy slab of steak!

If we were to have another I think we'd be more forthcoming about not wanting to know with new nurses.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Approximately 24 hours to go. I have displayed the will power of the Green Lantern Honor Guards. I shall remain Blind.
Post 9 IP   flag post
•Removed bad link•
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@mrelowe link doesn't work. Hope you're happy with the grades.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sorry about the link. Guess I didn’t upload correctly. Here are the ones I am happy with.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Unfortunately these two were not what I expected.

Overall I am happy that I have added these to my collection. Better luck next time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@mrelowe That is a bummer on those last 2 books. I assume you were not aware of the color touch and trimming? Was that your first batch that you had graded? Getting 3 9.8 books back is nice though.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I think the grade for the Amazing Spider-Man #194 got switched with the Marvel Premiere#47.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips I never saw it. I guess I have some training to do to get better at recognizing it. I was especially excited about the Green Lantern 48. I had it pressed because I thought it needed it.

@GanaSoth I am puzzled with the Asm 194. I didn’t think it would get that high the grades do look switched.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
I think the grade for the Amazing Spider-Man #194 got switched with the Marvel Premiere#47.
haha .. That sure is one rough spine for a 9.4..
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:

I agree. I never expected anything but mid grade from this one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:

Now that's a sure way to get customers to question your grading credibility.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@darryl_h what do you think?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Dude. I think your right. That is the ugliest 9.4 that I have ever seen. No offense @mrelowe
Post 21 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips no offense taken. I thought so too
Post 22 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@mrelowe - That ASM #194 is a real head-scratcher. If you have read some of the other threads, it would be interesting to submit it to CVA to see if they with slap their sticker on it.

Regarding restoration, I have received that unexpected news from CBCS on three books so far. They were all SA books that I bought over 40 years ago. It sucks.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Is there a way to restoration screen? I know that you can grade screen but I see nowhere to screen for restoration. It’s the first step in the grading process and screening could save a lot trouble.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Here are the notes for the ASM 194

spine wear, stress & creases breaks color
general cover wear, soiling, foxing & creasing breaks color
small tear right front cover breaks color

Doesn't seem like a 9.4
Post 25 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I'll have someone look into this when I get to the office in the morning.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Thanks
Post 27 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
9.4? Yeah def a mistake. Hurry and sell lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Any update
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelowe
@SteveRicketts Thanks
fingers crossed it IS a data entry mix up with your astonishing ant man grade. Looks plausible

.. What's the graders notes on ant man?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601505 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?