Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

The Question #17 (1988)8295

Collector Chino24 private msg quote post Address this user
I keep seeing that The Question #17 (1988) is the first appearance of Rorschach, but it isn't in any sort of way, right?

Watchmen #1 came out in 1986 and Rorschach appeared in that comic first.

Apparently, The Question #17 has a part of the story where Vic Sage (The Question) is flying to Seattle and is reading the graphic novel Watchmen along the ride. Rorschach also appears in a dream sequence.

Reference: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Question_Vol_1_17

Thoughts as to why people claim this is Rorschach's first appearance? Is it just supposed to be his first appearance outside of the Watchmen continuity? It's still only in a dream though.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Good question. It's not listed in Overstreet and CGC didn't list it on this graded book. I have seen it described as the 1st Appearance Of Rorschach, from Watchmen in DC Continuity though.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Well, if you want to get meta about it, you could say Rorschach's first appearance was in Blue Beetle #1, since Rorschach is the Question. Just like Dr. Manhattan is Captain Atom and Nite Owl is Blue Beetle. DC just wouldn't let Moore carry out his original idea of killing off all the Charlton characters.

But I suppose Question 17 could be considered the Rorschach's first appearance within DC continuity.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Chino24 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, everyone!
Post 4 IP   flag post
601329 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?