Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Graded with asterisk8292

Collector Exiledgl2814 private msg quote post Address this user
I sent in my first batch of books to get graded and they are on their way back to me now and one of them says 9.4*. Anyone know what the asterisk behind the grade means?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
means presents better than the grade...thought it was a check mark though?
Post 2 IP   flag post
A check mark? Is that how it will look when it arrives? I haven't received the book back yet so on my dashboard right now it's an asterisk.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It’s a checkmark on the slab but on the grader’s notes is shows up as an asterisk since a checkmark isn’t a standard text character

@Exiledgl2814 This is what it looks like on the label:
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
I never really understood the check mark. It grades for a certain grade for a reason, hence notes. Why further complicate things and create confusion?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
I never really understood the check mark. It grades for a certain grade for a reason, hence notes. Why further complicate things and create confusion?

Agree, the checkmark is just goofy to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Oh okay...I'm looking up a couple of other threads on here that I found about this. Sounds a bit pointless...why not bump it up a grade then right?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledgl2814
Oh okay...I'm looking up a couple of other threads on here that I found about this. Sounds a bit pointless...why not bump it up a grade then right?

Here’s an example:
a book in say 9.4 with checkmark that the cover appears as if it is an easy 9.8, but the book has a defect on the inside of the cover that cannot allow the book to be a 9.8. You cant just bump up the grade, but you can put a checkmark on the label that says “in the slab this book appears better than its grade”
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted to CBCS a Hulk 181 with a missing value stamp that graded 2.5 with no check mark.
The book looked much better than 2.5 wonder why no check mark?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
You can't just bump up a book. Certain imperfections can't be allowed in a high grade, even if the book looks really sharp. You ever look at a book in a slab and wonder why it looks so good but is graded so low?

I look at the check mark as a "yeah, but". Yeah it looks good, but there's more than meets the eye.

I have a couple in my collection and I really like having an exceptionally nice, flawed book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Look at it this way. You purchase a book in a slab that looks way better than its grade. Maybe you even pay more because you are convinced you can crack it and resubmit it and get at least a 1.0 bump. So you crack it out and decide to flip through it. Then you notice that there are small tears on several interior pages. The checkmark keys you in that the book presents better than the grade it received, but there are reasons that may not be obvious for why it received the lower grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Here’s an example:
a book in say 9.4 with checkmark that the cover appears as if it is an easy 9.8, but the book has a defect on the inside of the cover that cannot allow the book to be a 9.8. You cant just bump up the grade, but you can put a checkmark on the label that says “in the slab this book appears better than its grade”

This is very good explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
I submitted to CBCS a Hulk 181 with a missing value stamp that graded 2.5 with no check mark.

But, this comment also has me thinking...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
BTW I resubmitted this same book to CGC and it graded green label 7.0
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

CBCS doesn’t have a green label with a “What if?” grade. By that, they grade based on the defects, not what the grade would be if the coupon was still there, or if there was no staple pull, etc. So based on their grading standards, a book with pieces missing out of the cover or interior pages could never receive higher than a 3.0, and will usually receive a lower grade than that. Therefore, no checkmark.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
CBCS doesn’t have a green label with a “What if?” grade. By that, they grade based on the defects, not what the grade would be if the coupon was still there, or if there was no staple pull, etc. So based on their grading standards, a book with pieces missing out of the cover or interior pages could never receive higher than a 3.0, and will usually receive a lower grade than that. Therefore, no checkmark.

I have no problem with the different color designations. This allows you to quickly see that the book has issues and needs further examination. On this, I think CBCS is lacking. I understand that the label still clarifies.

Where CBCS is CLEARLY leading is in the actual grade of the book in its current form, and the accessibility of the grader's notes. This can allow you the knowledge of the specifics of the book that may not be visible from the slab.

I often am baffled with the grades on Green and Purple labels. I have a Showcase 35 that is Purple label with a 7.5 grade. I really have no idea what the grade was prior to the modification. I know that it looks like a 7.5 but I know it is not.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
BTW I resubmitted this same book to CGC and it graded green label 7.0

I believe the reason why your book didn't get a checkmark is because a missing value stamp is a large deal with many collectors. It is not as if an interior page has a mark, stain, rip or fold, there is a piece missing.

But I think the reason CBCS came up with a check mark is to have something to counter a green label. I'd rather have an honest grade with a check mark on a blue label than a fantasy grade on a green label.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600882 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?