Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
By 1951 most Superhero books were discontinued for other genres, and this brief hiatus of the mainstream from Superheroes is currently called the Atomic Age (1948-1955). (source: https://comicbookhistorians.com/the-8-ages-of-comic-books/)

It appears the bulk of my collection falls into this date range. Show 'em off if you got em!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Longtime collector here, never really knew the early 50s was actually called the Atomic age of comics. I always called it the Golden age. I am just now starting to get into all the wacky space titles..space men, Space stuff! Bring it! (any for sale?)...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector emme_jay private msg quote post Address this user
Huh, I didn't know this either! All of my Golden Age comics are Atomic Age as well. Yes, lots of crazy alien comics.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
I find the coolest books fall into this category. Super-hero books were on the way out and Bill Gaines was running full steam at EC ushering in the finest horror books. Then everyone had to out do EC.

Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeK

Great books LeeK!! Strange Adventures was one of my first collecting bugs.

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
By 1951 most Superhero books were discontinued for other genres, and this brief hiatus of the mainstream from Superheroes is currently called the Atomic Age (1948-1955). (source: https://comicbookhistorians.com/the-8-ages-of-comic-books/)

It appears the bulk of my collection falls into this date range. Show 'em off if you got em!

I do believe that there never was an "official" Atomic Age in comics. I do know that many of us used that term in the 60s to signify the Cold War/UFO/Atomic Family period. It certainly was/is a wonderful passage in comics publishing history and gave us some tremendous titles and issues so typifying the label. And the Senate hearings too.
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
1953 glasses attached htf in high grade. Every other copy I have seen has small white color breaks along binding. How this one survived I have no idea.

Post 16 IP   flag post
25 cents for the 3-D comic must've been a good chunk of change for a comic book back then.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
War is hell

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emme_jay
25 cents for the 3-D comic must've been a good chunk of change for a comic book back then.
The funny thing about 3d comics is they really only came out in mass between 1953 and 1954, must have not sold well.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

How could these not be popular? Then again, 3-D Circus is adorable. 3-D War? Not as adorable.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
well...I have to keep posting the same books because I don't have the collections some of the boys on here have, but if I go from '46 instead of '48 I can get 3 up here that aren't super hero

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
well...I have to keep posting the same books because I don't have the collections some of the boys on here have, but if I go from '46 instead of '48 I can get 3 up here that aren't super hero

Oooh, the Weird Science is a beauty!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Maybe the oddest and hardest book to find in nice condition in the 3d world. Plus glasses attached.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user

These are the only ones I have, I've always considered 'Atomic Age' to be a transitional period, with one foot firmly in the Golden Age and maybe a few toes dipping into the Silver.
Post 28 IP   flag post

Post 29 IP   flag post
@earthshaker...dude..every time I think you cant possibly have any more comics, you throw up something wildly obscure . You kill me
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 115 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?