Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Amazing Spider-Man #252 Before and After Being Shipped to CBCS.8228

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Here are the sections that @CaptainCanuck highlighted blown up. They sure look identical to me.

Post 51 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Terry88 right now I'm only suspicious of my photography and comic book assessment skills. I'll gladly do business with CBCS again in the future and I'm happy that I've been given some good advice on how to ship comics properly even though I watched a handful of youtube videos, even one from CGC, before shipping.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Savage_Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I have sent in multiples (i.e. dozens) of the exact same book to be graded and I can always tell which ones were which after they were slabbed. No two books are cut exactly the same. The tell-tale sign is the position of certain graphic elements from the edge of the book. Here is a comparison of the aforementioned two pictures with key elements highlighted with yellow circles (Amazing Spider-man logo and Spider-man's left foot) and a square (distance of UPC code from the bottom edge). The positioning of these elements are bang on.

You're most likely right, the angle could be causing my doubts. I look st the web coming out of his left hand and the widows of the purple building below the web line seem different sizes. You can see more window(s) on the right side image.

The reason that it looks as though the building has less windows in the original is because a glare from a flash/overhead light runs along the right edge of the cover and washes out some of the imagery.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Savage_Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:
I have sent in multiples (i.e. dozens) of the exact same book to be graded and I can always tell which ones were which after they were slabbed. No two books are cut exactly the same. The tell-tale sign is the position of certain graphic elements from the edge of the book. Here is a comparison of the aforementioned two pictures with key elements highlighted with yellow circles (Amazing Spider-man logo and Spider-man's left foot) and a square (distance of UPC code from the bottom edge). The positioning of these elements are bang on.

You're most likely right, the angle could be causing my doubts. I look st the web coming out of his left hand and the widows of the purple building below the web line seem different sizes. You can see more window(s) on the right side image.

The reason that it looks as though the building has less windows in the original is because a glare from a flash/overhead light runs along the right edge of the cover and washes out some of the imagery.

The things you should learn from this thread:

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo
3. Definitely never trust a photo from a noob.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo

I always aim for this forum to be better than CGC. There is no need to be personal. OP asked for our assistance.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo

I always aim for this forum to be better than CGC. There is no need to be personal. OP asked for our assistance.

flanders is the OP.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo

Yea, sorry for the confusion. I was making fun of my own noobness.

I'm very surprised and impressed that there's actually a place on the internet where people are respectful though. Thanks for not giving me a hard time.
Post 57 IP   flag post
@CatCovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:
Quote:

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo

flanders is the OP.

Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:
Quote:

1. Never trust a noob
2. Never trust a photo

flanders is the OP.

LOL

Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Here are the sections that @CaptainCanuck highlighted blown up. They sure look identical to me.

look at window to right of spiderman foot.. Larger in second image, and then further down the page below is a window below the Web that is only slightly seen on the first book which makes it appear like slightly different cut angle on cover.(hence why n is the same. Fiolow that angle and look at the windows in the bottom right corner, and again appears slightly different.

Which doubles with what looks like a different spine..

Purely speculation as only photos, but I don't believe it's same book
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
This has been a pretty good topic. @flanders welcome aboard.
Post 61 IP   flag post
@Wraith @BrianGreensnips Thanks for the welcome, although somewhat embarrassing I'm learning a lot from this. Once again I'm 100% positive it's the same book, far too hard to compare a bagged and unbagged comic in different lighting at slightly different angles. Time to put this to rest. CBCS did a great job with my comics and if I find anything else worth grading in my limited collection I'll definitely be sending them to CBCS again. Also if you're still not convinced go to the previous post of multiple before pictures. To me it looks like the spine creases are more clear towards the top of the spine on the photo of the front cover along the spine when you zoom in. Surprisingly this makes me feel better knowing that my comics likely weren't damaged at all from the time I packed them to when they were returned to me.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

Again, it's probably the angle, lighting, and bag but the buildings to the right of Spideys foot look significantly different to me.
Post 63 IP   flag post
It’s the glare from the lighting on the bag that is washing away some graphic elements on the edge of the original book.

Look at the “N” in “Spider-Man”, it’s also getting washed out at the edge of the original photo on the left.

It’s the same book.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It’s the glare from the lighting on the bag that is washing away some graphic elements on the edge of the original book.

Look at the “N” in “Spider-Man”, it’s also getting washed out at the edge of the original photo on the left.

It’s the same book.
there is very little glare at the bottom right corner of the book and it looks different there too..

p.s. all in good fun.. But I see a lot of difference on the right side, (different cut) and left side (spine roll that doesnt account for bag/glare imo.

I wish I still had a photoshop license at home.. I really want to review this in detail. .

Eg.. Look at window in right vs left. Added 0.5mm - 1mm to page edge in grading process?

Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith I agree with ya Wraith. It's a different cut.
Post 66 IP   flag post
598060 66 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?