Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
I just recently saw an ASM 301 9.8 for sale for over 1600. I thought that was absolutely insane (still do). I checked recent sales on eBay and this is average. How or why is this now priced so high????

I bought this pretty cheap just two years ago. It holds no real significance other than the old suit coming back and a remake of the 300 cover with old suit.

Anyone know why? Also these were NOT newsstand.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
There are far fewer 301's in 9.8, if I recall. I cannot recall the reason, but 9.8 is hard grade to get.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
#301 CGC Census (fwiw)

Mint 10.0 = 0 issues

Mint 9.9 = 0 issues

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 = 114 Universals

Near Mint+ 9.6 = 541 Universal

It does look like achieving 9.8 is difficult. At $1600, I'd be quite satisfied with the fine line between 9.6 and 9.8
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra - That’s why I sent my ASM #301 in for grading this summer. I had watched the gap grow between 9.8 and 9.6 graded copies. It used to be that 9.8’s were worth about 1.5x the value of a 9.6. Now, looking at several other issues of Bronze Age and Copper Age Spideys, that difference can easily be a 3x to 5x the value, with #301 being a ridiculous 10x! It would seem that speculators only want 9.8’s.

My #301 “only” received a 9.6. If it had received a 9.8, I would have seriously thought about selling it and using the money to purchase an X-Men #2 or #4 (probably both, and a 9.6 ASM #301 too!). It’s crazy Jon.

So close (but still looks pretty good to me):

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Praxis99 private msg quote post Address this user
That is what is so sad about this hobby right now. Speculators are ruining it for the collectors by driving up prices artificially. You know what this means? It means that prices will crash sooner or later. Speculation in anything is NEVER good!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The cover is a thing of beauty.

For quite some time there has been a huge drop-off from 9.8 to 9.6. Tough to find those spotless white oovers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Now I want this book, but in 9.6.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
I think that the significance of the book isn't the reason. This cover is hard to keep in pristine condition. There is so much white space that can easily pick up residue and affect appearance. Looking at the census data that @MR_SigS provided, that seems to be the case.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Back cover and the edge of the spine is black, which shows every little spine break or finger print. While the same can be said for ASM 300, issue 301 was not speculated on like 300 so there are less 9.8 candidates out in the wild.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I have two of these from CBCS (9.2, 9.6), and just got three back from CGC (all 9.6). These books have the same problem as the other mostly-white covers from the mid 80's; the paper stock & ink lend themselves to fading and/or yellowing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
No surprise hard to find in grade like Wolverine 35 is in a 9.8
Post 12 IP   flag post
601477 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?