Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Microchamber Paper: Good or Bad?8188

Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Great conversations going back and forth in this thread. I had asked in another thread if reslabbing an older CBCS case is worth it if you had an older 70's/80's comic inside of it?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Think of comparing MCP with a tampon; both absorb toxins. But unlike the toxic-shock syndrome that women would get if they didn't change out or remove the expired tampon, the comic book will not die. I highly doubt CGC would open themselves up for a class-action lawsuit from them using MCP. It's not like it's absorbing mold/fungus that will eventually take over the MCP. It's just gas/air. (If it even works.)

So IMO, I don't think MCP will damage the comic(s), & I really don't see a reason for using it either.
I thought cgc recommended changing out the paper every 10 or so years?

For a time they did. I believe it was seven years. But that recommendation has not been on their website for years now.

Since moving away from Barex for the inner holder (which is no longer manufactured) to the type of material (PETG or similar) that CBCS uses they now say it's not necessary to change the MCP because the inner holder is a bit more breathable. The same reason CBCS says MCP isn't necessary.

I'd love to see the scientific research papers that produced these differing conclusions.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector JMR private msg quote post Address this user
I will chime in to say that MC paper helps reduce odors on older books. You can even smell the odor transfer to the MC paper after just a week or two.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@JMR but..... I love the smell of old comics and books...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@JMR but..... I love the smell of old comics and books...

Don't forget that new plastic smell too when your opening electronics for the first time.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Chandler
Great conversations going back and forth in this thread. I had asked in another thread if reslabbing an older CBCS case is worth it if you had an older 70's/80's comic inside of it?

No reason unless the slab is damaged...

The idea that we are "conserving" our comics by having them third party graded and encapsulated is mostly erroneous. The slab provides a lot of protection - from physical damage. The outer holder and inner holder combine to have an enclosure that should - in normal handling - eliminate damage from physically holding the book. It keeps insects away. It's not advertised as such, but the inner well is at least water resistant. You could PROBABLY dunk it in the tub for 30 seconds with no harm done. Which means your slabbed books have a much better chance of surviving a roof that leaks.

Nothing about the slab actually slows down aging. The comic book is still paper (cheap newsprint with vintage books) and it is prone to slow decay.

The best way for collectors to slow down the aging and decay of paper is controlling the environment. Staying in the ideal range for temperature and humidity. And greatly reducing or eliminating exposure to all light. All these things are relatively easy to do. Store your books in your climate controlled house. If you are comfortable, so are your books. If you are hot and sweaty in your home, so are your books. And books in boxes are in the dark.

In the library science field, the gold standard for preserving paper is changing the Ph of the paper via deacidification. Either sprays or immersion. At this time, that wouldn't be very popular with comic collectors. It would be considered by most including grading companies as something "added" to the book. Noted as conservation. The book suddenly worth less money.

Back to Microchamber paper. One of the reasons MCP is seldom if ever used for conservation/preservation of paper in the library science field is because professionals instead are deacidifying their important paper documents, books and such. FAR, FAR more effective to neutralize acids and add a buffer to the paper itself than trying to "trap" any out-gassing that occurs in paper slowly breaking down. They instead use MCP for something it is for sure good at - making stinky books smell better. Trapping odors.

With proper storage, there is no reason why our comic books should not still be here in pretty much the same condition 50 or even 100 years from now. With or without MCP.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Thanks for the reply IronMan! I've just started getting into the hobby and was curious if reslabbing was even worth it for those older slabs.
Post 32 IP   flag post
601503 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?