Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Hidden Gems Variants8173

Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
I was hoping someone could give me a clear answer on this.

What are Hidden Gems Variants?

I have seen them around, and they are more expensive, but is Hidden Gems a shop or something? Does it say Hidden Gems on it or something? Where can you get them, aside from the secondary market?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Topsykrets private msg quote post Address this user
Ive seen em on midtown
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like a gimmick theme to trick you into buying variants. Just say no.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Just say no to variants. We need to start a variant awareness program in schools.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
But But But But .... it's a Hidden Gem! It must be valuable!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Just say no to variants. We need to start a variant awareness program in schools.

How can you say no to all of this?

Post 6 IP   flag post
Can you imagine if Amazing Fantasy #15 had 10 variant covers? Would the story even be remembered today? Would the Don Heck cover be worth more than the Jack Kirby cover?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Can you imagine if Amazing Fantasy #15 had 10 variant covers? Would the story even be remembered today? Would the Don Heck cover be worth more than the Jack Kirby cover?

Given the cost of AF 15, could you imagine the cost of a 1:25 variant that was even harder to find?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Just like I say no to anything else, but I'd precede it with the word "Hell".

It would be "Hell no!"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Given the cost of AF 15, could you imagine the cost of a 1:25 variant that was even harder to find?

I'm confident that it'd lose all collectability and stop the Marvel Universe from forming.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

It would be one heck of a good deal.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
If I was in charge of dc or marvel, I would annoce that for all of 2019, only certain key issues would be getting a variant cover. Even those will be limited.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
If I was in charge of dc or marvel, I would annoce that for all of 2019, only certain key issues would be getting a variant cover. Even those will be limited.

There are only so many good writers. If you cur the variant covers either you are putting artists out of work or publishing more books with weaker writers (or characters) to pick up the slack.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

OR THIS??????
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok - it took my quite a while to figure this out. They are not store (eBay or otherwise) variants. They are issued direct from Marvel and are listed in the previews so any shop can order them. Plus, it's always "Marvel announces Hidden Gem variant for ....". But I was able to search on Facebook and the earliest announcement of "Hidden Gem variant" has this screenshot posted which says that "Hidden Gem Variants" are variants that are using previously created cover artwork. I'd presume that these are previously unpublished works, hence "hidden".

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! That is the information I was looking for. I appreciate the input from everyone.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSeldin305
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

OR THIS??????

That's an easy no. I have many of the books he drew when he started at Marvel. I'd sooner collect his Charlton work.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I thought hidden gems were secret variants. Am I wrong?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I might be ok with the concept of hidden gem...publishing prior unused covers.
I assume an artist may provide multiple ideas for a cover and maybe only 1 gets used, or first try gets rejected leaving these other works never published...if that's what these really are then maybe...maybe...I might be ok with it.

There are some artists who I hate to say their work was better in the past and an old unused cover might be better than what they could come up with now!!! Rather than stick it in a sketch book then make a variant out of it!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Hidden Gems are incentive ratio covers that use an artist previous art for the cover. Mike Zeck has said that Marvel has selected four pieces from his portfolio for Punisher comics. There was a Kirby FF "hidden Gem" cover. Other artists include Wrightson, Cockrum, Starlin, Romita Sr. and Miller to name a few. There are some really great looking pieces out there!!! I just ordered the the Dr. Strange #10 (the 400th Dr. Strange comic total) done by Miller. While Brunner will always be my favorite Dr, Strange artist, the composition on this cover is great!!! Add in the facts that it is the 400th solo Dr Strange comic and a 48 page comic, I decided I needed in my collection.

Post 20 IP   flag post
597933 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?