Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Picked this beauty up today. Question is should I have it reslabbed, regraded ( it might come back a 9.8) or just leave it in the old label. I'm leaning on leaving it. The case is cracked, but I cherish the old labels.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Iā€™m not an ant. Iā€™m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
REslab
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. Looks like it didn't harm the book or value so re-slab only if you have the time and money to make it look prettier.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I vote for reslab.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 - Gorgeous book, but that shattered corner would bug the crap out of me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with @esaravo on this one.
I'd get it in an undamaged slab
Post 6 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Well reslab ii is, would be nice if they could transfer the old label over to the new slab. Thanks for the input
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
That is s beautiful book. I'm with the reslab group. If you send it to CGC, could you request the old label stay with the new slab? I don't know if they would allow it but you can always ask.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley I was going to ask if they can. Knowing it's the old label, you know the book wasn't pressed and they were generally more strict on the grade, just think it makes it slightly more desirable.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Crack 'er!
An outlier vote is needed.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
I also have an old label i was thinking of getting reslabbed. The thing here is, if you regrade, these cgc cases should be switched out every 5 years or so, and our old label books are sitting in these slabs for 10+ years. I dont know if a regrade on these older slabs is worth it, but a reslab definitely is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the damage was more subtle I might say leave it alone. If it were me I would reslab.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
I would vote to reslab. I think asking for the old label to remain would be worth the shot. Iā€™d be interested to see what they have to say.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@mrelowe I will call cgc Monday and find out. Hope that is the case, but I doubt if they will
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
I would definitely reslab, it may be possible for them to keep the old label though. Worth giving them a call to find out, just let us know later.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I never understood why slabs should be replaced every 5 or 10 yrs? Is there something about the plastic long term? I mean if some of these GA books were found stored in newspaper for 60 yrs and came back 9.8 white, why re-slab ever? I suspect its more to do with controlling the environment
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I never understood why slabs should be replaced every 5 or 10 yrs? Is there something about the plastic long term? I mean if some of these GA books were found stored in newspaper for 60 yrs and came back 9.8 white, why re-slab ever? I suspect its more to do with controlling the environment

I dont think thats the case anymore. I think it was the inclusion of microchamber paper in the slab that dictated the 5-10 year slab replacement. CBCS does not use MCP so their slabs are forever....like diamonds. šŸ˜€
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
ah...kk...never understood it...thanks
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
.like diamonds.

When I look at my CBCS Invoice, I often think that is precisely what I'm paying for - diamonds!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Crack 'er!
An outlier vote is needed.

Let me ask you this: what makes this a 9.6? I can't see a single finger bend or spine tick...maybe the right bottom corner is a little blunted? 9.4s usually have some clearly visible defects...this one looks like it would not grade less than a 9.6, so (if they can't keep the old label) why not take a shot at a 9.8? Is the price difference that much for this? But if the defects require a press then maybe it's not worth it to regrade. I'm not familiar with the value of his comic, but I'd have to imagine a 9.8 could be double what a 9.6 is given its age and cover.

Gotta take some chances in life or it'll amount to nuthin.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Purposely designing the case with a lifespan of 5-10 years kind of pisses me off. The technology is out there to build a better case but they chose to construct it with a flaw so people would spend more money to get them re-slabbed rather than go with long-lasting quality. Just my opinion.
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
.like diamonds.

When I look at my CBCS Invoice, I often think that is precisely what I'm paying for - diamonds!

Love don't come for free.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Press and regrade
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Purposely designing the case with a lifespan of 5-10 years kind of pisses me off. The technology is out there to build a better case but they chose to construct it with a flaw so people would spend more money to get them re-slabbed rather than go with long-lasting quality. Just my opinion.

I was once told technology is available to make an ever lasting light bulb, but to develop such a design would put the light bulb people out of business....or severely hurt their companies in terms of relevance.

Same thing goes for automobiles. You can probably design them to last more than 10 years without major issues, but then you'd
Be hard pressed to sell new cars. Fortunately little cool gadgets and aspheric designs that add to the enjoyment/comfort of driving are always coming along to encourage new buyers, silly
Creatures that we are.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector B3Chandler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher

I dont think thats the case anymore. I think it was the inclusion of microchamber paper in the slab that dictated the 5-10 year slab replacement. CBCS does not use MCP so their slabs are forever....like diamonds. šŸ˜€

I was curious about this question myself. I just wondered if the older CBCS slabs were worth getting reslabbed, especially if they contain the older 70/80's comic books.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I got ahold of cgc Monday and they will not transfer the old label. They are going to be in Yoruba Linda California on the 27th of this month. So I'm going to have them press and regrade hoping for a .8
Post 26 IP   flag post
Post 27 IP   flag post
601304 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?