Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone get that feeling of loss after you have let go of a book or portion of a collection? Ever since I traded a major portion of my collection to obtain the AF15 and Hulk #1 - I’ve pulled away from comics for some time and see values of books, I once owned, increase. I’m very aware of what I now hold, but can’t shake that feeling of loss. Does anyone identify with this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
Only on days that end in "Y".....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Only if the books purchased don't have a special place for me. I would give every book I own for an AF15 and I would enjoy collecting from that moment on, knowing I had an AF15 at home, you couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
No. I’ve only sold books that I have no attachment to. And look on the brighter side, knowing the person that got anything from me will enjoy the heck out of it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Does anyone get that feeling of loss after you have let go of a book or portion of a collection? Ever since I traded a major portion of my collection to obtain the AF15 and Hulk #1 - I’ve pulled away from comics for some time and see values of books, I once owned, increase. I’m very aware of what I now hold, but can’t shake that feeling of loss. Does anyone identify with this?

Yeah, but having that AF #15 still outweighs the loss. I traded 90's Valiant for my AF#15. I don't really feel a sense of loss from that because I still had copies of everything I traded.

I sacrificed a Strange Tales #110 for an Amazing Spider-Man #1 and then sacrificed the Amazing Spider-Man #1 & a high grade Giant-Size X-Men #1 for an FF#1. I'm still glad I made the trade.

Owning the key books did make me care a lot less about having sets. At one time I wanted Amazing Spider-man #1-100. After getting AF #15, that goal went by the wayside. Once you climb Mt. Everest, don't expect all those smaller mountains to be as inspiring.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Does anyone get that feeling of loss after you have let go of a book or portion of a collection? Ever since I traded a major portion of my collection to obtain the AF15 and Hulk #1 - I’ve pulled away from comics for some time and see values of books, I once owned, increase. I’m very aware of what I now hold, but can’t shake that
feeling of loss. Does anyone identify
with this?

Know how you feel brother. Been buying the books I got rid of the last two years lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BSeldin305 private msg quote post Address this user
I just sold a 181 to get a TOS 39.

I don't miss the 181 that much- and when I do I look at the 180 I have knowing its the TRUE 1st appearance!

Then I compare census numbers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The more you get rid of, the easier it gets. But the keys and some other ones still hurt a little every now and then.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
I find this funny because I did just that - still missing the ASM #1. Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Yeah, but having that AF #15 still outweighs the loss. I traded 90's Valiant for my AF#15. I don't really feel a sense of loss from that because I still had copies of everything I traded.

I sacrificed a Strange Tales #110 for an Amazing Spider-Man #1 and then sacrificed the Amazing Spider-Man #1 & a high grade Giant-Size X-Men #1 for an FF#1. I'm still glad I made the trade.

Owning the key books did make me care a lot less about having sets. At one time I wanted Amazing Spider-man #1-100. After getting AF #15, that goal went by the wayside. Once you climb Mt. Everest, don't expect all those smaller mountains to be as inspiring.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
I find this funny because I did just that - still missing the ASM #1. Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

That's a tough loss, because it's still a very expensive & key book. Just do what I did and remind yourself it was Spider-Man's 2nd appearance. It's only key because it started the ongoing series. The contents are not what makes it special.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep that's why I don't let anything go. I once traded a few books to get a key. A ST 110. Then I quickly realized key books for the most part are common in lower grades and the prices are out of reach.
The books traded have quadrupled in value. Glad I only let a few go and kept all the rest of the obscure esoteric high grade GA books I collect. Some extremely scarce and finally I am seeing the intrest in those non-key books increase now so I don't know when to let them go, lol.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I try to buy 2 of everything if it is Silver or Bronze if I feel it will increase. And in these last 7 years with movies - it's hard to be wrong. I let go of the lower grade (even though they're both high grade) and I don't feel bad at all
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Yes! Which is precisely the reason I dont sell books from my collection.....that being said, I dont own AF15 and Hulk 1...those books would mitigate my sense loss somewhat but I get where you're coming from.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
It's bad enough for the average collector to let go of a key, I can only imagine being a dealer and coming across great books and having to sell them because that is your source of income.

As for letting go of books for an upgrade, I can only say it's a sense of mourning. A loss sucks. Especially if you spent a ton of time to acquire the book and then the fleeting moment when you acquire a nicer book. However, you still remember the path you spent getting that original book. It's kinda like losing your first love. You may have the best upgrade ever. But you never forget your first.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've regretted selling books (Marvel Spotlight 32 and Avengers 196, both in 9.8) because I usually fall ass backwards into some. Generally, if it's a book or character that has meaning to me, I'll keep it. I usually have that feeling of loss for a little bit, but then get over it when I buy something else. For me, I like having the stuff, but really, it's just paper. While I like Byrne's FF run, that shit isn't going to make a millionaire. So, for me at least, that hollow feeling goes away after a little bit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I would find it extremely difficult to sell any of my collection
with the exception of some early issues that I have two copies
of...even then it would be tough.

Marty
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I am currently in the process of thinning my collection down to what I really want. Recently I waved goodbye to Batman 232, TEC 227, and other cool books. I don't really miss them as there is always a copy for sale if I really wanted it again. I just completely lost interest in Batman, Spider-Man, etc. It seems like everyone has a copy in their collection.

Original Art on the other hand...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
not usually. I only sell or trade books I dont want or to get a book I want more
Post 18 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I got someone well known in the industry from Baltimore wanting to come look at my whole collection, but I am afraid they would offer me enough that I would consider selling it all, and I'm not sure if want to do that at this point.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a long box of keys to my LCS two years ago, before I really had a handle on the value of what I had. I don't lose sleep over it; everyone involved made money.

Its the same way I feel when I talk to guys who look at one of my books and "wish" I had a 9.8 copy of (enter book here), then try and talk down the price. I wish I had that imaginary 9.8 too, but I can't sell wishes, I can only sell what I have. I'll be happy to charge you the 9.8 price if you'd like, or you can pay what I'm asking. I'm pretty open to negotiation, but some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to less than 9.8 books, like they should be given away.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

Even though the $$$ helped in completing much of my AF15-ASM375 run, I regretted selling off my key Silver Age FF's before I even shipped them off lol. Those, as well as several other keys such as one of my two OO NM98's, have made the thought of selling distasteful. Saving funds takes longer but there are, for me, no regrets.
I have since been fortunate enough to complete my Avengers #1-#300 and AF#15-ASM#375 runs, and am now working on my Thor and FF runs, which includes a recent FF#1 I'm currently waiting to arrive. I've learned to buy ONLY the books I want in my collection. This way if the values tank tomorrow, I'll still enjoy owning them (though that would suck lol).
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
It's bad enough for the average collector to let go of a key, I can only imagine being a dealer and coming across great books and having to sell them because that is your source of income.

As for letting go of books for an upgrade, I can only say it's a sense of mourning. A loss sucks. Especially if you spent a ton of time to acquire the book and then the fleeting moment when you acquire a nicer book. However, you still remember the path you spent getting that original book. It's kinda like losing your first love. You may have the best upgrade ever. But you never forget your first.

People become dealers to stay close to the hobby and acquire great books for their collection. Many quit caring about the comics because it becomes work. They get numb to it. That's one reason I turned down a lot of job offers in the hobby. That and the absurdly low pay of working for someone else. LOL!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

Marty

I used to buy multiples for the purpose of keeping one and trading the other. There is still a sense of loss with that. I used a Defenders #1 in a trade for Strange Tales #110. I used to have 6 each on all the Miller Daredevil issues. I miss them, even though I know I got something better.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
I am currently in the process of thinning my collection down to what I really want. Recently I waved goodbye to Batman 232, TEC 227, and other cool books. I don't really miss them as there is always a copy for sale if I really wanted it again. I just completely lost interest in Batman, Spider-Man, etc. It seems like everyone has a copy in their collection.

I've been collecting so long and looking at the same key issues on a dealer's display, that I get bored with a lot of them. In some cases I already own them. In other cases, the books are so common it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to spend. Show me a rare, scarce, or just very uncommon book that's interesting and I'll perk up.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
I sold a long box of keys to my LCS two years ago, before I really had a handle on the value of what I had. I don't lose sleep over it; everyone involved made money.

Its the same way I feel when I talk to guys who look at one of my books and "wish" I had a 9.8 copy of (enter book here), then try and talk down the price. I wish I had that imaginary 9.8 too, but I can't sell wishes, I can only sell what I have. I'll be happy to charge you the 9.8 price if you'd like, or you can pay what I'm asking. I'm pretty open to negotiation, but some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to less than 9.8 books, like they should be given away.

I buy a lot less because high grade is all that most collectors care about these days.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Marty

I used to buy multiples for the purpose of keeping one and trading the other. There is still a sense of loss with that. I used a Defenders #1 in a trade for Strange Tales #110. I used to have 6 each on all the Miller Daredevil issues. I miss them, even though I know I got something better.

The only recent multiples I bought were 4 copies of THE NEW 52
DETECTIVE COMICS #1 off the shelf at BARNES & NOBLE when they
first came out (2011)...thought they might be of interest in
years to come.

Marty
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Marty

years to come.

Marty

People are so picky these days, I don't think I could find even one high grade copy at a book store. Nor do I trust the cashier ringing me up to handle it properly. I was screaming inside the last time I bought a comic at Books-a-Million. I tried to be polite as I asked her not to crease the spine of the comic, but she looked at me in a state of confusion and hurt. She had no understanding of what comic collectors expect.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Marty

years to come.

Marty

People are so picky these days, I don't think I could find even one high grade copy at a book store. Nor do I trust the cashier ringing me up to handle it properly. I was screaming inside the last time I bought a comic at Books-a-Million. I tried to be polite as I asked her not to crease the spine of the comic, but she looked at me in a state of confusion and hurt. She had no understanding of what comic collectors expect.

I was lucky...I had a clerk that handled them with extreme care.

Marty
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I've been collecting so long and looking at the same key issues on a dealer's display, that I get bored with a lot of them. In some cases I already own them. In other cases, the books are so common it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to spend. Show me a rare, scarce, or just very uncommon book that's interesting and I'll perk up.
Exactly why I collect high grade obscure esoteric golden age and silver age #1's, #nn's etc...tired of seeing the same key issues, or God forbid to I have to see another Schomburg or Schomburg-esque cover...I know I said it. Yes a great artist, but ugggg already. Lol
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Supply & demand is the name of the game and always has been, but the hobby lost it's innocence over time, no single action being responsible for where we are today.

However, there's a deeper fear that haunts many collectors as values rise and fall remarkably fast and market trends veer ever closer to destabilization. A lot of folks buy multiples of books for a rainy day when that market is already saturated and the precursor of a climate changing drought.

It's just a symptom of how the hobby has changed from being a nerdy collector thing with minimal investment required to a portfolio market populated by three-piece suited accountants, tax attorneys and auction house brokers all of whom also want their piece of the pie.

The fear of being caught in a situation where selecting the right books becomes as critical as picking the right moment to sell takes a lot of the fun out of collecting. One decision might mean financial security, another, major investment losses. I say investment because the more books appreciate in value the less stable the market becomes for hobbiests.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, but he's riding the bubble too!

The worry brought on by skyrocketing prices of certain key issues and variants which force collectors to stretch their budgets is what motivates some collectors to get out of the hobby. Storage is also a factor. Add to that hot/cold pricing fueled by media interest and the result is perpetual volatility in the SA to Modern marketplace.

Knowing which books are the safest investments only makes the decisions tougher as personal tastes are far less of a factor in market fluctuation than media buzz and the supply/demand motivations mentioned earlier.

As depressing as all this sounds, I'm hopeful that the collector markets may stabilize somewhat in the new year ...outliers being perceived as what they are... overcoming the very real prospect of a correction on some level.

Cheers & best wishes,
CatMan America

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Exactly why I collect high grade obscure esoteric golden age and silver age #1's, #nn's etc...tired of seeing the same key issues, or God forbid to I have to see another Schomburg or Schomburg-esque cover...I know I said it. Yes a great artist, but ugggg already. Lol

Agree with this for the most part. OTOH, you can send all those "ugggg" Schomburg cover comics my way. I'll gladly take care of 'em fer ya!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601279 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?