CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop Culture

What’s your favorite Batman who laughs cover8061

Collector Topsykrets private msg quote post Address this user
So far I have to say this is my favorite cover

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw a few variants at the LCS, but I went with the standard cover...

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Davet91 private msg quote post Address this user
This is my favourite. Love the colours.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Davet91 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I like these two.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

my fav. Bought the set and preordered one signed by Crain.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think the blank cover is best 😛
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user
I love the Batman 251 swipe @Topsykrets posted, but these are pretty good too:

Batman: Harley Quinn 1 swipe

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
I actually prefer the standard one the most, unfortunately.
I look forward to variants sometimes, and on this book in particular, I was really looking forward to them.

If I had it my way, the standard cover would be a virgin variant, with no speech bubble (I bought the print of it, so maybe biased), and capullo’s as well, virgin variant. I do not like the coloured version of capullo’s
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
....... the next Venom variant cover deluge... neverending, consistent, and seemingly every day. Mattina, Delotto, Parrillo, Corleone, Barzini, Tartaglia
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
....... the next Venom variant cover deluge... neverending, consistent, and seemingly every day. Mattina, Delotto, Parrillo, Corleone, Barzini, Tartaglia
Careful now. Luca may pay you a visit with talk like that.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davet91 just got mine in the mail
looks awesome
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
None of them appeal to me. I don't understand the fascination people have with this character.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@X51 Have you read any of the dark nights metal one shots?
I would recommend Batman: Lost followed by all 6 Dark Batmen books. They are fun twists on alternate reality Bruce Waynes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

My favorite. I did not hesitate to buy every copy I came across I thought was 9.6 or better condition. Now I'm reaping the benefits as they sell for $25+ raw at the moment. Still very hard parting with any of them. I like the covers that also feature the killer robins. Completes the look.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
I would recommend Batman: Lost followed by all 6 Dark Batmen books. They are fun twists on alternate reality Bruce Waynes.

The whole concept of alternate reality characters in one-shots pretty much nails down one of the things I dislike about modern comics. Writers are unable to write long-term ongoing stories that evolve organically to create a cohesive universe. The soap opera style of writing where everything matters and affects every other title is what I like about comics. These spin-offs look like an unimaginative writer who has to throw something together quickly to get a paycheck.

I still own most of the comics I had when I was younger. One of the series that I did sell when I got back into comics was "What If?" I have absolutely no interest in seeing one-shots, limited mini-series, or random unimaginative imaginary tales that milk off of established characters.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Gmac7787 private msg quote post Address this user
My fav is acutally the one i did with scorpion if you are looking for sets let me know. Can also have them signed and graded
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

The whole concept of alternate reality characters in one-shots pretty much nails down one of the things I dislike about modern comics. Writers are unable to write long-term ongoing stories that evolve organically to create a cohesive universe. The soap opera style of writing where everything matters and affects every other title is what I like about comics. These spin-offs look like an unimaginative writer who has to throw something together quickly to get a paycheck.

I still own most of the comics I had when I was younger. One of the series that I did sell when I got back into comics was "What If?" I have absolutely no interest in seeing one-shots, limited mini-series, or random unimaginative imaginary tales that milk off of established characters.

lol

well that makes sense why you wouldn't like this character.

I understand why they have these branch off stories.

I quite like alternate reality tales, superman red son, wolverine old man logan, batman the dark knight returns...

I also like continuity as well. I believe storytelling is an ever evolving thing, and I think all varied types of stories have a home.

What I hate in a story is when they don't end, or when they don't have a cohesive 'end' of some regard.
I don't like when a story arc has no arc. That to me is episodic, much like the Simpsons episodes... which is the equivalent to hitting your head on the wall for me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

lol

I quite like alternate reality tales, superman red son, wolverine old man logan, batman the dark knight returns...

I also like continuity as well. I believe storytelling is an ever evolving thing, and I think all varied types of stories have a home.

What I hate in a story is when they don't end, or when they don't have a cohesive 'end' of some regard.
I don't like when a story arc has no arc. That to me is episodic, much like the Simpsons episodes... which is the equivalent to hitting your head on the wall for me.

The advantage of long term storytelling without discernible arcs is that writer would toss in small plot leads that may or may not get developed for another year or two. They were never going into the next issue with a cold start. It piqued curiosity and provided a more immersive feel to the lives of the characters. In the 70's, Marvel was kicking DC's butt in sales and the ongoing stories were the reason. DC produced self-contained stories and after reading the story, there was no sense of urgency to come back to the next issue. It was a jumping off point for the reader. Story arcs also give readers a jumping off point. The industry doesn't need that right now. It's done in a desperate attempt to get secondary sales on TPB's. That too is not good for the industry because once the TPB's are released, readers are less inclined to buy back issues. Unsold, undesirable, and devalued back issues mean that the stores are stuck with dead inventory. Money that is tied up in dead inventory is money that can't be used to order aggressively on new comics. This particularly hurts the availability of indy comics and it hurts the sustainability of less prominent characters that could benefit from higher visibility.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
On one the reasons I never got into x-men/mutant books is because there was no “jumping on” point. I’d pick up a book and have no clues what was going on...felt like I had to read 100 prior issues and cross overs to get up to speed. Still feel that way with most Marvel books These days.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet91

Gotta agree with you. Love the Dell'Otto
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

lol

The advantage of long term storytelling without discernible arcs is that writer would toss in small plot leads that may or may not get developed for another year or two. They were never going into the next issue with a cold start. It piqued curiosity and provided a more immersive feel to the lives of the characters. In the 70's, Marvel was kicking DC's butt in sales and the ongoing stories were the reason. DC produced self-contained stories and after reading the story, there was no sense of urgency to come back to the next issue. It was a jumping off point for the reader. Story arcs also give readers a jumping off point. The industry doesn't need that right now. It's done in a desperate attempt to get secondary sales on TPB's. That too is not good for the industry because once the TPB's are released, readers are less inclined to buy back issues. Unsold, undesirable, and devalued back issues mean that the stores are stuck with dead inventory. Money that is tied up in dead inventory is money that can't be used to order aggressively on new comics. This particularly hurts the availability of indy comics and it hurts the sustainability of less prominent characters that could benefit from higher visibility.

I do agree. I thoroughly enjoy the classic X-Men run from 94-143. It has one cohesive narrative and you bond well with the characters. I think these great stories still exist. Mostly Image comics do this best however, like Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples' Saga, and even stuff by Ed Brubaker or Hickman and Remender.

The problem for me with Marvel is that, for starters, compared to these Image books, you have characters that have existed for literally decades. They've gone through so much, with this event and that event, and that thing, and this impacted them and that impacted them... that it creates problems.

I am a huge Wolverine fan. My Wolverine was X-Men 133, Miller and Claremont's mini... BWS Weapon X, and then things got out of hand. I don't recognize the character anymore.

To Drogio's point, there is a hard time knowing where to go, and Marvel slams you with a new #1 so many times you lose track. There is something to be said with books that hit 500, or a 1,000. They say that the large numbers scare new readers away, but I don't know if I believe that.

I do believe that #1s sell well, but just because #1s sell well does not mean that high numbers scare away new readers. One does not necessarily mean the other.

That's the slight of hand someone has sold over at Marvel. They've made a compelling argument, which was true, #1 issues do sell, but then eliminated high numbers, which to me, is where I lose interest in a book.

The high numbers to me, means breadth. It means depth. It means, history. Something I can get into.

What they SHOULD do, is keep the high numbers going, and use the minis to pull in the new readers to the high numbers. The old readers will always be on the high numbers.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

My favorite. I did not hesitate to buy every copy I came across I thought was 9.6 or better condition. Now I'm reaping the benefits as they sell for $25+ raw at the moment. Still very hard parting with any of them. I like the covers that also feature the killer robins. Completes the look.
Is this the regular cover? This is the only one I own. I did enjoy the Metal series too. The only one I specked on was Metal #2(bought 4 copies)which gets no love. Go figure.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
By the way, this post inspired me to change my avitar to Vic Rattlehead. Happy Headbanging!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Many of the points already made are reasons why I don't read too much Marvel or DC any more (although I am liking The Immoral Hulk!!). Member when the main titles were for on-going storylines and you would have say...brave and the bold or worlds finest or tales to astonish etc. for one shots and mini/maxi series for events involving all titles and even then the results of those events lingered for a few years??? I don't know..there comes a time when you are reading the same character, the same character and even if they were the same as when you first read them - you are not the same. 12 year old me reading teen titans following Dick becoming Nightwing was great!! but you know what? instead of being younger than or the same age and being invested in the characters I'm now 20+ years older than the characters - just doesn't do it for me anymore. Give me series that have an end 30-60 books ie. Y the Last Man, Rachel Rising, Paper Girls, Black Hammer etc. or give me storylines that are semi interesting and take a while to unfold and don't just get shelved - maybe I'm wrong about S&M Batman here but this seems like a flash in the pan...need to read issue #1 but the Metal series left me less than impressed.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

lol

I do agree. I thoroughly enjoy the classic X-Men run from 94-143. It has one cohesive narrative and you bond well with the characters. I think these great stories still exist. Mostly Image comics do this best however, like Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples' Saga, and even stuff by Ed Brubaker or Hickman and Remender.

The problem for me with Marvel is that, for starters, compared to these Image books, you have characters that have existed for literally decades. They've gone through so much, with this event and that event, and that thing, and this impacted them and that impacted them... that it creates problems.

I am a huge Wolverine fan. My Wolverine was X-Men 133, Miller and Claremont's mini... BWS Weapon X, and then things got out of hand. I don't recognize the character anymore.

To Drogio's point, there is a hard time knowing where to go, and Marvel slams you with a new #1 so many times you lose track. There is something to be said with books that hit 500, or a 1,000. They say that the large numbers scare new readers away, but I don't know if I believe that.

I do believe that #1s sell well, but just because #1s sell well does not mean that high numbers scare away new readers. One does not necessarily mean the other.

That's the slight of hand someone has sold over at Marvel. They've made a compelling argument, which was true, #1 issues do sell, but then eliminated high numbers, which to me, is where I lose interest in a book.

The high numbers to me, means breadth. It means depth. It means, history. Something I can get into.

What they SHOULD do, is keep the high numbers going, and use the minis to pull in the new readers to the high numbers. The old readers will always be on the high numbers.

There is a mindset in the industry that back issue sales hurt the sales of modern comics because the collector is spending hundreds of dollars on a back issue and that money is not going towards new comic sales. I believe that to be erroneous because back issue sales will put available cash into the stores and the stores are the only real customer that the publisher has. The stores ordering the comics is what makes or breaks a new comic's success. A healthy back issue market with comics increasing in value is what inspires readers and collectors to keep buying. There is a place for mini-series to spotlight characters who are worthy of their own series. The Wolverine mini-series in the 80's is a good example. Titles like marvel Team-up and Marvel Two-in-One were excellent at spotlighting lesser characters while still keeping an ongoing storyline. The only way to keep the characters fresh is with ongoing stories. The characters evolve and grow rather than just being thrown into a random situation or crossover.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

There is a mindset in the industry that back issue sales hurt the sales of modern comics because the collector is spending hundreds of dollars on a back issue and that money is not going towards new comic sales. I believe that to be erroneous because back issue sales will put available cash into the stores and the stores are the only real customer that the publisher has. The stores ordering the comics is what makes or breaks a new comic's success. A healthy back issue market with comics increasing in value is what inspires readers and collectors to keep buying. There is a place for mini-series to spotlight characters who are worthy of their own series. The Wolverine mini-series in the 80's is a good example. Titles like marvel Team-up and Marvel Two-in-One were excellent at spotlighting lesser characters while still keeping an ongoing storyline. The only way to keep the characters fresh is with ongoing stories. The characters evolve and grow rather than just being thrown into a random situation or crossover.

Yes, all of this. Absolutely all of it.

Marvel and DC don't see immediate returns on back issue sales, therefore cannot quantify its importance.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why the variant craze is getting out of hand, it's one of the best ways they see the immediate results
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea but who cares - the covers are sooooooooo cool. Oh... wait... you mean it's not all about the covers? <eye roll>
Post 28 IP   flag post
600441 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?