Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Netflix Was Responsible for Marvel Cancelation8057

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Even more interesting is that Daredevil actress Amy Rutberg “also confirmed that the contract between Marvel and Netflix prevents any Defenders characters from appearing on other platforms for the time being”.

Article Here
Post 1 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I think Netflix is just getting out before they get taken away. Disney is starting there own streaming service so all of the Marvel stuff was probably going to go anyways.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@MutantMania

Agreed. Perhaps Netflix saw the writing on the wall and wisely used the contractual terms to stifle any momentum these characters may have had when transitioning to new platform.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Can they use the Defenders name? Marvel should do a Defenders movie with Dr. Strange, the Hulk, Valkyrie, & Sub-Mariner. Then they can setup the Defenders/Avenger battle that took place in the 70's.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Netflix is basically daring Disney to purchase the IP/Production rights back. Its not a bad idea really, Disney has proven it will buy back IP rights that were previously farmed out (Iron Man was recovered from Paramount, X-Men/Fantastic Four will be recovered via the 20th Century Fox buyout, Ghost Rider was recovered from Sony, Blade was recovered from New Line Cinema, etc.).

I see the Defenders rights being kind of funky to begin with, even if they want to change the roster around some. Universal still has sequel rights to solo Hulk films, and they've got Namor. I don't know if the ROI on the Netflix Defenders would make buying them out worth it.

Frankly, I don't see Punisher transitioning to Disney programming either. Bob Iger has already said that the more violent 20th Century Fox properties, such as Alien(s)/Predator and their percentage of Terminator, are DOA upon arrival to the House of Mouse.

Might be one of those things where we need to be happy with what we got, and look forward to the future titles Disney is hinting at, such as Falcon/Winter Soldier (which I really hope turns into a competition to be Cap 2.0). Loki/Scarlet Witch has me all kinds of excited, especially with the 20th Century Fox buyout, and the need for a post-Avengers: Endgame kicking off point for the next series of films. IMHO, no better way to bring the whole family together in a concentrated way than a little universe-bending House of M action. My opinion, I could be wrong.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Such a shame.. Daredevil was so good.. Last season started slow but built well and left me craving more.. Much much more
Post 6 IP   flag post
598097 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?