Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

eBay Rip Off8038

Collector Negrito68 private msg quote post Address this user
So I excitedly opened up my grading to a submitted original Avengers #14, only to be disappointed that the book graded a 0.5 as it was missing 2 pages. Lesson learned, as I should have checked the book for any missing pages upon my January 2018 delivery. So much for “good faith” purchases!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that 👎🏻
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Who did you buy it from?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
My guess most sellers don't count pages. I don't think I have done that either with some of the older comics I bought. Now I am afraid to.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same thing happen to me with an FF 12.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Tried going back to my purchase history but the seller’s info was not available. So have to accept the lose...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
My guess most sellers don't count pages.

Sad but true. And worse are the ones who do, and do not disclose >:-(
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito68
Tried going back to my purchase history but the seller’s info was not available. So have to accept the lose...

I figured you no longer had a case (unfortunate), but was hoping to learn who sells but doesn't count pages. No worries.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to make a note to ask the seller to count pages for any older comic now. Is there a site that has the correct number of pages?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I am going to make a note to ask the seller to count pages for any older comic now. Is there a site that has the correct number of pages?

Grand Comics Database
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I learned a long time ago to count the pages of every golden and silver age comic I buy. In the old days, if there was a coupon cut, many unscrupulous dealers would simply remove the entire page. If the opposite side was not a story page, you could read the entire comic without realizing there was a page missing, whereas a cut coupon would be much more obvious. It’s important to remember that EBay is basically a worldwide garage sale and many of the sellers are just ignorant. They would not think of counting the pages in a comic anymore than many buyers would. I can think of a handful of comics that I bought on eBay that were missing pages. In some instances it was several wraps! In every case, the seller seemed genuinely unaware of it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
It’s important to remember that EBay is basically a worldwide garage sale and many of the sellers are just ignorant.

This is the truth. While some are cheats, many of them just don't know much about what they're selling. Then sometimes you find the ones who THINK they know, but obviously don't.

I need two issues to complete my run of one title. I was excited to see a listing for those very issues. Then I read a little further and found this in the description:

"In my opinion these comic book are in approximately NM (9.4) condition. One has a detached cover and they have some water damage."

I thought about sending the seller a note to let him/her know water-damaged books with detached covers are NEVER 9.4, but I doubt it would do any good.

Needless to say, I looked elsewhere.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Negrito68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito68

If you paid with PayPal, it should be in your transaction history.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I had a signature fail once on a Sinatra script. Took a couple months but I was able to go through PayPal to get the info. He guaranteed the signature and I was able to get the original posting email him and went through eBay’s return format. Sent the book back with a delivery /signature card when he accepted it ebay refunded me. It was several hundred dollars so I pursued a refund. PSA said the Book was signed by his secretary. Good luck 🖖
Post 14 IP   flag post
Been collecting since the 70s, some may see it as a long time, but as of today, I am still learning how to select, purchase, store and now grade. I thank all who posted and provided insight to my recent experience. I have learned a ton and appreciate the feedback.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601342 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?