Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Best Boxes for Silver/Gold Mylites?8011

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I need to give the wife some ideas for xmas. I'd like some short boxes for my comics. But I use the silver age egerber mylites which measure at 7 3/4 inches wide. All bcw boxes measure at 7 5/8.

Other than boxes for graded comics, are there boxes that will fit the silver/gold mylites?

Anyone run into this problem?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I think I read before that some use BCW magazine boxes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah, those are 9" by 12" tall. Graded comics look to be 8.5" by 14-15" tall.
So do I want to combine my graded and mylites (with a sturdy divider) or order separate boxes and have about 1" of gap,to fill to keep them from sliding. Right now I'm just stacking them up in sterlite bins and I know that's not good. Especially when I pick the bin up and everything begins to shift.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Keep your graded comics separate and buy magazine boxes for everything else. Long boxes are to bulky & heavy to lift and store. Short boxes are flimsy. Magazine boxes hold a variety of sizes and are normally a little more sturdy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm debating between the plastic and cardboard. Both corrugated. Do people here store their comics in the cardboard short/long boxes like cbw without worries concerning the acids in the cardboard? Or are the acid for bags and boards today, in particular mylites and full backs, make acids in the boxes a thing of the past?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I'm debating between the plastic and cardboard. Both corrugated. Do people here store their comics in the cardboard short/long boxes like cbw without worries concerning the acids in the cardboard? Or are the acid for bags and boards today, in particular mylites and full backs, make acids in the boxes a thing of the past?

Corrugated plastic would release chemicals. I see no advantage to corrugated plastic. The purpose of Mylites is to protect your comics, so acid in the boxes is not a huge concern.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Corrugated plastic would release chemicals. I see no advantage to corrugated plastic. The purpose of Mylites is to protect your comics, so acid in the boxes is not a huge concern.

What about the acid free ones?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I switched out all my cardboard boxes for the corrugated plastic a couple of years ago and never looked back. I don't own any Golden age books but I do use them for all my regular, silver and graded comics. All my raw books are stored in egerber 2 mil mylar with full backs. I pick the boxes up from bags unlimited. These are acid free https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5410/compact-comic-storage-box-11-x-7-1316-x-11-brfont-colorredholds-up-to-100-comicsfontbrplastic-corrugated
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

What about the acid free ones?

You can go with acid-free boxes, but I wouldn't sweat over the decision. The Mylar bag prevents the book from making contact with the box. Some comics are printed with acidic inks and they are self-destructing regardless off what bag and box you put them in.
Post 9 IP   flag post
597929 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?