Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS Adds “Exceptional White” Designation8003

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Time to resubmit.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Is this a ploy to increase re-submissions?

Or, is this an example of CBCS thinking ahead of the curve in order to further differentiate itself from the competition?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder when this ofically started, I got back an order about 2 months ago that had white pages on an ASM 31
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Very interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Or, is this an example of CBCS thinking ahead of the curve in order to further differentiate itself from the competition?

Pretty much 'yes' to both, though I think "ahead of the curve" is too much credit.

Since vintage books are being used as examples (in the link), I can't help but wonder if it really means there are many books out there that never should have got a White designation in the first place
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Wonder when this ofically started, I got back an order about 2 months ago that had white pages on an ASM 31

Seems there's at least one out there now (not mine)

Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have noticed a few on the Featured Comics tab over the last several weeks, and I believe Keld (@poka) has one for sale (Rawhide Kid).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
E X C E P T I O N A L W H I T E !
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I can't help but wonder if it really means there are many books out there that never should have got a White designation in the first place

Interesting point.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So, it’s basically White Pages with a checkmark.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Very interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Pretty much 'yes' to both, though I think "ahead of the curve" is too much credit.

Since vintage books are being used as examples (in the link), I can't help but wonder if it really means there are many books out there that never should have got a White designation in the first place

It started a few weeks ago.

The thought behind it is simple. The "White" page designation has a spread. There are occasions when you get a book in with pages that are so white they almost glow. Since we opened CBCS, we've always thought it was a shame that books with these blinding white pages get the same "White" designation as books with less brilliant pages, but still absolutely fit into the "White" category. We wanted a way to identify these extreme examples of snow white pages.

Liken it to the old days of grading. The grading scale was Good, Fine, and Mint. Since then it has become more detailed. Right now, White has a window of acceptance. We're just adding an additional grade designation for page color. It's only going to be used for books older than 1975, for now.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
So, why wouldn't Exceptional cover exceptionally white pages?

Sounds a bit like Spinal Tap: these go to eleven.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Older books already get quite a price bump if they happen to have White pages.

Not only am I not sure there is a need for this new designation but I could see older books that just have White pages (some of them with exceptional white pages that have already been graded prior to the change or will be graded by a rival grading company with no such designation) losing value for not having the new designation.

Perhaps it adds value to the hobby but I just don't see it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This is a really good move. No two ways about it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
feels like a racial thing really
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/5845/page/12/auction-wins-post-em-if-you-got-em/#280

also a featured comic

Post 15 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The "White" page designation has a spread.

Liken it to the old days of grading. The grading scale was Good, Fine, and Mint. Since then it has become more detailed. Right now, White has a window of acceptance. We're just adding an additional grade designation for page color.

Why not add “White-Exceptional White” while you’re at it?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thinking a way to gain more money
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Maybe "redneck white," "honky white," or "cracker white" would have been racist, but I really don't see "exceptional white" as racist.

I'm not a fan of the designation myself. Plus, if anything, it should read "exceptionally white." My personal favorite would have been "pearl necklace white."
Post 19 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I've said it before, but grading always changes in a manner that helps sellers buy low and subsequently sell their comics for more. This is a good example. The person submitting acquired a comic with white pages. Now if he wants to sell it, he can market it as having exceptionally white pages.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS Are you the official announcer for CBCS on the fourms? lol. Why wasn't an official statement put on here or Facebook? Seems odd.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
I see this as a good move. Paper quality is already a delineated category. The more designations there are then the better it is for specificity. This is just another example of how CBCS is trying to become more than just competitors and lead the industry. When tats are back in line, I see them picking up significantly more of the market.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@MR_SigS Are you the official announcer for CBCS on the fourms? lol. Why wasn't an official statement put on here or Facebook? Seems odd.

It was in Scoop weeks ago.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i've been called exceptionally white in come circles, if i'm being honest
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:

Sometimes there's such a thing as too much honesty.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

Pasty white has not yet been approved as a descriptive term.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

♫Heard it from a friend who...♪
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
this designation is nonsense

the interior paper is white or is isn't

if it's "exceptionally white", then give it a checkmark
Post 29 IP   flag post
When grading designations change such as this, it invalidates the accuracy of everything graded prior to the change. The hobby has been doing this since the beginning.

My copy is better than yours for reason __________. (fill in the blank)
Post 30 IP   flag post
601536 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?