Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

The Future of the Comic Book Market7976

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
While the number of older raw books steadily declines due to slabbing, does anyone else feel that back issue raw books will eventually become quite rare and hard to find, like the many major keys are (unless they are cracked out of the slab, of course)?

Or, will there always be a healthy supply of raw books?

* back issues are the key terms here (e.g. pre-1990). I realize that new raw comics are flooding the market on a daily basis.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck there will always be a healthy supply of raw books. There's just too much out there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @infinityG except that I do see a future in which older (say, Bronze Age and before) comics in very high-grade that are not slabbed are in short supply. There just aren't that many of them out there (especially for Silver Age and before).

Of course, slabbed comics can always be cracked out. šŸ˜Š
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think it will depend on the book, condition and value and if the current owner plans on selling.

I would not buy a raw book over say $1000 from the internet unless it was graded. In person I can check it over myself.

If the owner wants to maximize their $$ there is a big jump say from 8.5 to 9.0 and it is in their interest to get it graded - sometimes I wonder why such a valuable book is being offered raw...if it's really worth $XX and is in XX condition then pay the fee and get the price bump.

Given long enough I think the high grade or low grade but still valuable will end up being slabbed
Post 4 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
OLD comics that are pressed beyond recognition and whose spines are flattened flatter than a pancake will unwittingly appeal to the next generation of collector's who feel a RARE find is found. HA, LOL!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I donā€™t see graded books overtaking the market any time soon. As of May 2018 CGC reports it has graded 3.8 Million books and I am sure a healthy number of those are past the 1990 cutoff you placed.

According to some sources, in 1960 alone you had books with average sales per issue breaking 100k copies and even a couple breaking the 1 million copy mark. Of course, I am aware that a lot of those books have been lost/destroyed but Iā€™d be incredibly surprised if both grading companies combined ever approach grading so many of the books in the 60+ years preceeding 1990 that raw books of that era become the exception.

That said, I do see raw key books, especially in the higher grades, becoming more scarce because there are so many incentives to slab but to answer the original question about whether raw back-issue books in general will become scarce, I just canā€™t see it happening
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Slowly, ever so slowly, I'm trying to slab many of my favorites.

Marty
Post 7 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
The RARE finds are those that have not been tampered with, not pressed, not improved upon, left in lesser condition as intended by the actual age and LEFT ALONE in a natural state of actual condition.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@brysb Then I still have *HUNDREDS* of rare finds. šŸ˜Š
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I think we will reach a point someday where more golden and silver age keys are slabbed than not, especially higher grades. Most silver and bronze and even many lower grade golden age exist in such numbers that it is not practical or feasible to slab the majority of them, even decades down the road. Plus there will always be people who actually want to read the comics!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@brysb Then I still have *HUNDREDS* of rare finds. šŸ˜Š

Thank you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If only DocBrown wasn't at banned camp, he could provide his thought provoking insights...
Post 12 IP   flag post
The DEVIL will be the one who presses and distorts the comic into a NM DEITY!
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There will always be a ton of raw books but high grade raw books will be harder to find as more and more get slabbed.

As the supply dwindles buyers will be more suspicious of restoration, loose centerfolds or other flaws not easy to see without careful inspection. In other words the high grade raws will seem too good to be true.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Whenever I hear about a comic that is pressed to near perfection status I realize I am a dinosaur and TRUE COLLECTING is a thing of the past. And to slab is to enslave! Collector's of my era counted on ads that informed us of condition of comics, no hint or idiotic insinuation that it would be pressed or restored! UNHEARED of in my time.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The higher grade keys will probably keep being slabbed. There will still be raw copies, some probably high grade because some purist won't want their books entombed in a plastic prison.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
If only DocBrown wasn't at banned camp, he could provide his thought provoking insights...

I thought he would have been ā€œreincarnatedā€ on this board by now, but his distinctive perspective hasnā€™t surfaced as of yet.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Shill accounts aren't his style.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Shill accounts aren't his style.

With his winning personality I don't think the charade would last long anyway.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Believe it or not, I miss the input from both him and @conditionfreak. Perhaps I will send them both Christmas cards.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Whenever I hear about a comic that is pressed to near perfection status I realize I am a dinosaur and TRUE COLLECTING is a thing of the past. And to slab is to enslave! Collector's of my era counted on ads that informed us of condition of comics, no hint or idiotic insinuation that it would be pressed or restored! UNHEARED of in my time.

I too miss the days of cbg and other adzines.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Believe it or not, I miss the input from both him and @conditionfreak. Perhaps I will send them both Christmas cards.

I liked conditionfreak.

He is a good seller.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I liked conditionfreak.

He is a good seller.

Ah, the books. Of course.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
does anyone else feel that back issue raw books will eventually become quite rare and hard to find, like the many major keys are (unless they are cracked out of the slab, of course)?

There is a raw book within every slab. I get the question being asked but I don't see the significance to the answer relative to the individual.

Whether books are slabbed or raw, they're just as likely to be hordered or put up for sale. The super expensive books should be slabbed buy the seller/owner if anything to know what you have and offer it maximum protection, know the true value for insurance reasons and be able to liquidate the asset when the time comes.

And if someone desires the book raw, they can always "free" it from the case. Because in the end it's still a "raw" book inside...just a little tougher to get at, and a little expensive to put it back in its case. šŸ˜‰
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
While the number of older raw books steadily declines due to slabbing, does anyone else feel that back issue raw books will eventually become quite rare and hard to find, like the many major keys are (unless they are cracked out of the slab, of course)?

* back issues are the key terms here (e.g. pre-1990). I realize that new raw comics are flooding the market on a daily basis.

I like to think[hope] people will figure out the futility of "slab everything" long before then.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like the market has normalized over the last few weeks/months - the price gap between grades seems to have shrunk on many key books. I think it has something to do with the flood of Stan Lee books saturating the market and tieing up capital.

@CaptainCanuck Awesome collection(yours?), but if value is your goal wouldn't you want to move some of those? But then again, the books will increase in value each year & there is no reason to believe Disney/WB will sour their comic marketing...

There will always be raw books circulating, removed from slab or original. Scarcity will impact the oldest books first and most.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man

Not my collection, just a photo I stumbled upon that inspired the thread.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I think high-grade key books will get steadily harder to find in the wild, but I can't imagine slabs will ever make a huge dent in the volume of raw books out there.

I don't slab many comics, mostly those valuable ones in fantastic condition or key books in such bad condition you want to get them slabbed and graded before they fall apart.

Most of the slabs I have I picked up in low-bidding auctions.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Well if it dives great time to buy
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I will still be collecting and Reading comic books no matter what the market does. Buy and read what you like and there will never be a big let down.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600917 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?