Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Dispute Process on Grade for Book795

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1984
Thanks for everyone's comments I appreciate it. Does CBCS publish their standards?

They do not.

EDIT: They do. :tonofbricks:
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Hero_Restoration private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's comments I appreciate it. Does CBCS publish their standards? It's hard to compare if they don't list these

Yes, they do. https://cbcscomics.com/grades

I still say you got the right grade, it think it just needs a press to get a 9.4.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
I see 4 color breaks at spine without any real effort placed. One would think a 9.4 would not have this many. I would call it a 9.2
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Right CBCS does not go by Overstreet, I was just presenting an example of how a certain number of overall flaws can move a book down in grade.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Restoration
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's comments I appreciate it. Does CBCS publish their standards? It's hard to compare if they don't list these

Yes, they do. https://cbcscomics.com/grades

I still say you got the right grade, it think it just needs a press to get a 9.4.

Well, I'll be! (if I slabbed books, I'da known this :whistle: )

Sorry CBCS, my bad, your good.
Post 30 IP   flag post

What CBCS has there is not really a complete grading guideline, just a quick set of reference to give you an idea. They lumped the entire range of 9.0 to 7.5 together on that list. I'm gonna say Mr. Sigs was right the first time on that they don't publish their guidelines.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It's just like with all those stupid debit card readers at all the supermarkets and department stores. I wish everyone used the same one.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
maybe we as customers should force them to it's our investment they play with why not let them know I will be the first to e them up
what do u think
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
What CBCS has there is not really a complete grading guideline, just a quick set of reference to give you an idea. They lumped the entire range of 9.0 to 7.5 together on that list. I'm gonna say Mr. Sigs was right the first time on that they don't publish their guidelines.

Yes, reading it it could be more informative.

I'm flip-flopping like Hilla...

Never mind.
Post 34 IP   flag post
OS is widely recognized by collectors, I wouldn't doubt if CBCS has based their guidelines on it, but for them to come out and say that would open themselves up to legal actions if customers disputed grades and then pointed to OS as evidence. Ultimately you are paying them for an opinion. I could see the headaches if CBCS actually did publish their complete grading guidelines, every single customer would overly scrutinize every slab and because opinions are just that there would numerous disputes and CBCS would get nothing done ever, TATs would be a year long.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Grading comics is subjective opine with decades of still evolving evolution with a host of varying criteria. For me the #1 item on grading agenda is ascertain white paper on downwards. Preservation archivaly is prime time for many collector's main concern. Is it time yet to break out the electron microscopes to count paper fibers?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Is it time yet to break out the electron microscopes to count paper fibers?

Only after we get self healing nano paper.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector zab47 private msg quote post Address this user
what are their grading guidelines we should know a little
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
They will be in line with OS guidelines with variations.Honestly I wouldn't expect any of the companies to post their full guidelines just a basic one and we can figure out from there. That's pretty much how that other company did it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind any waves or non-color breaking dents will be pressed down by the inner well. In those cases, a book that shows minor color breaks, can still have down gradable defects that will not show up to the naked eye until the book is removed from the case and inner well.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, no way you'll get a 9.4 with multiple spine dings that break color.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
Quote:
Just got a shipment of books back. I am very puzzled by the grading of 1 book. Is there some type of Dispute process I am just very puzzled how this book could come back as anything less than a 9.4 and it came back as a 9.0.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,
I have disputed a grade before. You need to email customer service. Make sure that you have your reasoning why you think it should be a higher grade as well as pictures supporting your position. Good luck.

Wigh all due respect, you can call NASA and dispute the fact that the Earth is round.

No good will come of that, though.

If CBCS assigns a grade to a book, the grade has been assigned collectively by 3 graders.(including Borock, who I believe finalizes all of the grading on each book)

With either of the two reputable grading firms (CBCS and CGC), you are paying for the graders' assesment of any given book.

Your opinion as the owner of said book....whose opinion is either not as well informed as the graders' collective assesment and not impartial ,either....is just not paramount here.

No grading firm worth their salt would give away any ground on a grade they have assigned, otherwise....what's the use of a grading company???

PGX might let you dispute a grade, they are known for having questionable business ethics.

Not CBCS or CGC.
Post 42 IP   flag post
With all due respect as there are a lot of folks in to seeing Third Party" certification placed on their slabbed up coffins. That is what the slab is long term. A coffin.

This is because if one seeks LONG term archival storage then organic material encapsulated inside plastics made out of oil is not the way to go. If so, Library of Congress. The Louvre, etc would all be doing same.

Mylar as in Mylite #2 SIlver Gold with the top flap which can be taped down. Allows just a smidgen of air to breathe

After having been doing the comics mail order gig since May 1966 age 14 non-stop except for medical scenarios playing out which have provided some intense distractions at times and also seeing many friends stay with the same hobby on a host of levels there comes a time when one learns how to grade.

Or, How to check for "restoration" (black lite bulb)

To me, pressing is "restoration"

- the much more important long term concept is 'white' paper which has not yet begun to have the sulfur content of the pulp paper begin to "turn"

If you have ANY thing in plastic bags, it is far better to store with out ANY thing than oil plastic which begins to leach out after time.

Try a simple test: take 20 or so bags from some years back. Hold em in a stack to the light. If you see any hint of yellowish green color, the oil is coming out to eat yer books

Plastic retains heat. The slab holders are made of plastic. All those thousands of miles logged in getting comics from point A to Point B means in these hot summers means those holders absorb and hold heat longer which in turn dries out paper beginning the break down of not having white paper

I speak as one who was blessed with being the main seller at Comics & Comix Store #1 https://www.facebook.com/Comics-Comix-Store-1-309011132576498/?pnref=lhc on 7/9 of the fabled Tom Reilly collection which to this day sees many of its copies as "best" known in these census things some feel a need to live or die by.

From the early 40s till we began to filter the Reilly copies in to the then known "organized" collecting world in 1973 they lived with nothing on them at all. I still recognize copies I have seen and re-seen over the years. No young pup in some Sarasota office cubicle is going to know more about that collection than me. Pure and simple.

CBCS has waaaaaay more ethics than CGC. Pure and simple.
Post 43 IP   flag post
CBCS uses PETG that is breathable and archival safe. Also the CBCS holder is not 100% sealed around the edges, allowing more breathing of the air inside the slab.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Yes, I agree because it is very true the CBCS inner holder is a much superior product. In a perfect world not being touched by plastic has credence.

What also goes on in the real world is the comic book farmer guy bouncing down the road with hot sun blazing on van roof is heat going in to the plastic outside holder taking his commodity to market as it were.

Many a book travels a long space time continuum before landing inside some one's collection where hopefully it then remains in more proper archival tenure for a spell before it might once again begin a trek to find a new home. Such is the fate of some books. Others have had the same family for many decades.

The inner sleeve helps a lot with the concept of plastic oil breakdown migration. ALL organic material must have a tiny bit of air to "breathe" to be sure.

Bill Sarill taught us that back in the 70s when he was also pounding out preservation articles beginning in RBCC late 60s that MYLAR was the LOC choice. Accept no substitutes.

PETG is akin to Mylar. CBCS has ethics and cares about the after life of the comics. CGC has demonstrated proven it truly does not. Just because they deleted threads does not mean jack.

Tis the cover up which gets you more than the initial error.

How many threads did they delete after expounding for years they had no control over those chat room boards which was their lame excuse for uncalled for character assassination on a number of good people in this wonderful hobby which seems to be wanting to take itself much too seriously at times any more.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Speaking of CGC, another potential hazard of their new design I have not seen talk of is the fact that the new shell is sealed all around the sides preventing air flow.
Post 46 IP   flag post
600657 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?