CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Official Maxx Appreciation Thread79

Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Maxx and Kieth fans hang out here
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this in a charity auction on another forum. It is not really in my wheelhouse, but I do like rare comics. If memory serves me correctly. There are only about 15 of these around, and one guy owns most of those fifteen. But I'm old, so take that info with a grain of salt.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I think that's fantastic. Awesome book to have in your collection
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Grails private msg quote post Address this user
My God, there are people in here!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yeah, I was scared I was going to end up talking to myself
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Spideyfan73 private msg quote post Address this user
ChUnG... cHunG.... cHUUUUNGGG!!!!
For her..... I can be a HERO!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I really wished they had taken the animated series all the way
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
🤔

Where is the "I'll take it" emoticon?
Post 8 IP   flag post

Some stuff I am taking with me to Boston. This is just the tip of the iceberg lol

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to see that "tip" is not *spoon*
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Owen_Lorder lol Thanks, glad it meets approval
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cool Maxx stash ya got there MetalPSI.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Spideyfan73 Thanks. That's just a few random goodies I have. LOTS more than that lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Hello and allow me to introduce myself, if I have not already.

I started collecting Maxx when it first hit the shelves, I was never aware of the special Wizard 1/2 incentives that were first brought out. In fact I was barely aware of the mail away for the Purple 1/2.

I had been lugging around 3 longboxes for 20 years, full of Xmen, Spiderman and my favorites from Image, DarkHorse and NEC.

It wasn't till 2013 where I had finally decided to go through my stuff to see what I had. I hadn't expected to be carrying gold around all these years, but was surprised that some things have done pretty ok for being 20 years old.

I looked at my incomplete Maxx collection and decided one of the things I would like to do is complete that collection. How little did I know stepping in.

I had never heard of the ashcans, or how the later issues had a very low print run due to Sam being left alone to complete the title. I was only about 10 or 11 issues in.

I hopped on eBay and started picking things up here and there. It was by pure chance I found a dual sketched SS Edlund Tick SE that I had to have, where I picked up my very first slabbed comic.

I didn't know what a comic grading company was, all I thought was what a novel idea to encase a treasured comic in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged over time. I joined up with the CGC forums and the rest is history.

During my journey and following the awesome wealth of knowledge found online, I started my quest for all the issues I was missing, and started a new quest to have a complete Maxx run, signed and verified and graded.

Along the way, I found my grails. The wizard 1/2 Maxx test prints.

I was very fortunate to find someone who had not one but a few of the Blue test prints, and got my first grail in 9.4. Perhaps I will have the chance one day to upgrade to a 9.8, but at least I have one.

The one I cannot find is a red test print. All my research has pointed me to the fact there definitely is 3 of them out in the wild somewhere. I have had the privilege to talk to some former owners. Alas the trail has run cold.

Now hopefully with a new and exciting grading company starting up, I can find even more collectors to talk to and hopefully pick up the trail again.

So if you come across this on your travels, please keep me in mind, and if you have heard whispers of this rare treasure, if anything I would just love to hear the stories.

I wish for the day I can hold one in my hand, and with luck, one day I shall.

Thanks for your time
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Grails private msg quote post Address this user
Sam Kieth is one of my favorite modern painters. I love reading about his process on his blog which he usually updates weekly. He throws convention out the window sometimes painting over other completed paintings while still keeping a few elements from the original. To me he is an artist in the truest sense as well as honest and humble about himself and what he produces.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Is that an original piece Grails? That is flippin' sweet.
Kieth's style is what drew me in. I loved his take on the superheroes (Wolvie and GR in MCS specifically and his Venom was cool as well), though there's a lot of folks who didn't favor his take.
With that said, it was his art that brought me to The Maxx. I bought the full run, eagerly and impatiently waiting for those super delayed issues. I often wondered if he left a lot out, just to put an end to the delays, though an article I caught a few years back, he had said he told the story as he had wanted with proper closure. I don't have anything super rare, no ashcans, but as I said, the full run, Glow #1, a few copies of the regular 1/2 and an #1 and 2 signed by Sam, but not certified/slabbed. Would love to own an original piece someday.
Post 16 IP   flag post
To me, Sam Kieth is a true artist, as been stated above. He was never a conventional comic book artist in my mind. His blog is a wealth of knowledge
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user

Getting ready to relax and watch some Maxx.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Nice. I thought it was really well done. Just wish they could have done the entire storyline
Post 19 IP   flag post
Post 20 IP   flag post
Post 21 IP   flag post
597883 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?