Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

What do you guys think of this? (Re: CGC Crossover)7873

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I just got an e-mail from CGC, as I am taking advantage of the crossover promotion:

1) Marvel Tales #106: Currently PGX 9.8, estimated by CGC to be 9.6-9.8.

2) ASM #129: Currently PGX 8.5, estimated by CGC to be 8.0 w/ pressing (CGC recommended).

So, on the Marvel Tales #106, it looks like PGX actually got one right. On the ASM #129, I was fairly certain it was going to come in lower, but I thought I would drop by points-plural, not a half. The recommendation on pressing to try and salvage the grade has me conflicted. On the one hand, paying a couple extra bucks to keep the grade score as high as possible on this book is a foregone conclusion. On the other hand...it does feel a little shady. "(Ray Liotta as Henry from Goodfellas) Hey, that's a nice grade! Be a shame if anything happened to it. If it were pressed, maybe it would stay the same. Incidentally, we have an in-house pressing service that could take care of that for you...for a price."

While I'm going to take advantage of the pressing service, I don't know if its entirely ethical to dangle the possibility on what a grade "could" be, but only if additional services/fees are added. I'm obviously biased as the self-interested party; I want that ASM #129 to grade out as highly as possible (who wouldn't?), but I'm aware that "could" allows for a lot of variables.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it's crazy pgx got one right...especially a 9.8.m it's the lower grades and skills in detecting restoration and conservation is where pgx is the most inconsistent. Imagine cgc saying "hey, you're going to get a lower grade!" Then have it also come back restored as well...ha!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This might shock everyone. They can always make it exactly what they said it would be. It's going right back into a slab.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Drogio Yeah; but imagine if it worked out in your favor? Submitting New Mutants #1 & getting Marvel Graphic Novel #4 back instead.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
we have seen the preestimates we now need to see the final grades on those same books. Also scans of before and after would be appreciated to give a truthful opinion on what CGC is doing.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@SpiderTim I asked the mods if I could do before/after photos on this, and was told no. The photo ban on PGX shall not be lifted.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@Drogio Yeah; but imagine if it worked out in your favor? Submitting New Mutants #1 & getting Marvel Graphic Novel #4 back instead.

Bad example for me. I bought them both when they came out for cover price.
Post 32 IP   flag post
What's next?
Is CGC going to lower the grade and say they were all damaged by the holder?
Are they reverse engineering the CBCS holder?
Will there be a marketing campaign saying "1000 of our competitor's customers changed their mind and switched to our service"?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Will there be a marketing campaign saying "1000 of our competitor's customers changed their mind and switched to our service"?

I'd be amazed if something along these lines did not show up in promotional materials at some point in the near future.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Both of these were subbed using the Crossover service. I am quite happy with the results considering they were half price to grade and didn't come back purple. All in with shipping and fees it cost $84 for these two.

This one was PGX 5.0 with the same PQ. The book dropped .5 in grade. I didn't get any refund so I guess they will just credit my account?

This was a PGX 4.0 with Light Tan-OW pages. It kept the same grade and got a PQ bump.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito I talked to CGC customer service the other day. They said they credit your account but will refund your money if you request it. I got the money credited back to my card today
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I had a few slabs from "the guy in the garage" that I bought below GPA. One came back a 9.8 no press after being signed twice. The other went from a 9.6 to 9.8

Sometimes you get lucky other times you do not.

My raw Uncanny X-Force 18 signed by Jerome Opena coming back an 8.5 was one of those cases.
Post 37 IP   flag post
ASM #129 shipped; CGC 8.5. Will post photos when it arrives. I'm happy with the quality/grading of my CBCS books, so I'm leaving them alone, but I'm all about PGX to CGC conversion.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
While I'm going to take advantage of the pressing service, I don't know if its entirely ethical to dangle the possibility on what a grade "could" be, but only if additional services/fees are added. I'm obviously biased as the self-interested party; I want that ASM #129 to grade out as highly as possible (who wouldn't?), but I'm aware that "could" allows for a lot of variables.

The problem isn't that it is unethical in and of itself ... the problem is the appearance and possibility of unethical behavior.

I think CGC has proven that they can be unethical on the margins. And I definitely believe they don't have any controls to watch for unconscious bias. They make lots of money through unconscious bias. For example, I've noticed a small but distinct difference between grades that were pressed by CCS and not pressed by CCS (even if pressed by someone else). I don't think most graders do that on purpose, but I definitely believe they know which books are pressed by CCS. And that almost certainly influences their judgment.

Congratulations on your grades! I might have to take a chance on some PGX books myself.
Post 39 IP   flag post
601333 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?