Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Paper Quality VS Grade7867

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m trying to get the consensus here.

Where is the line where you’d prefer a lower number grade if the paper quality is superior?

If a Silver Age book is rare in high grade & you find it, but the paper is off-white, is that a deal breaker?

Just trying to get a feel for where the average collector stands on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
For me. I look at the book in the entirety and how it presents.
Off white paper isn't a deal breaker for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Crm/OW is generally the lowest I will go on PQ.

Sometimes a mid-grade book an get a large bump in price if it has white pages/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, for resale in the long run, would you take an 8.0 Silver Age Key with Off-White Pages, or the same book in 6.0 with White Pages.

I’ve always been a mid-grade collector when it came to Silver Age Keys. If it looked presentable, that was good enough.

Recently, I’ve switched to seeking higher grades. It’s just an entirely different market, and I’m trying to get a feel for demand.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
How the books presents overall is most important to me. Sure I try for the best page quality I can afford but it’s all about how it looks in the slab.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can sacrifice page quality if the book presents nicely.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, for resale in the long run, would you take an 8.0 Silver Age Key with Off-White Pages, or the same book in 6.0 with White Pages.

I’ve always been a mid-grade collector when it came to Silver Age Keys. If it looked presentable, that was good enough.

Recently, I’ve switched to seeking higher grades. It’s just an entirely different market, and I’m trying to get a feel for demand.

Generally you want the higher grade. The best example I have in favor of PQ is the ASM 17 I bought in the 1980s.

After I had it pressed and graded it came back CGC 5.5 with White pages.

If the book had off-white or even OW/W I would have been looking at $150-$175.

Thanks to the White pages I got my asking price. It was either $220 or $230.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Always try for White pages......perfectly fine with OW.......will consider CR/OW but depends on the book and price. I certainly have CR/OW books in my collection that I feel I got a really good price on.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I certainly would not turn down a book because of cream or off white pages. I would take an 8.0 over a 6.0 even if the pages were nicer in the 6.0, since the 8.0 would obviously be the overall nicer copy. Having said that, if being given a choice between an 8.0 with white pages and an 8.0 with off white pages, I would take the higher page quality, even if it cost a few more dollars.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Look at the book - buy the book, not the grade of even page quality. Sure, I wish all my books had white pages, but they don’t. When buying a newer book (Copper Age, even most Bronze), I would expect white or off-white to white. On Silver Age or GA, the appearance is key. I have seen SA books with OW/W pages that have back covers that look yellow. I would buy an OW book that presented better. Some CR/OW books alo present better than some with better listed page quality. If the book doesn’t look good to me, I won’t buy it, regardless of the grade or page quality. And if a book presents really well, I would pay a slight premium for it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
For me its:
Modern, Copper, Bronze- no cream allowed

Silver- Cream ok if book is nice or I just cant afford better. No tan.

GA - I have some big keys in Tan.

Brittle is never ok, unless its an otherwise untouchable book!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
The nicer the paper the better, of course. But to be honest, paper quality is somewhere at the bottom of the list of things I look for when I'm buying (within reason).
Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I will spend months looking for what I want with white pages. That being said I do have a few with off-white to white. But for me unless it’s pre 1960 I won’t buy anything with less than off-white to white. I have noticed fading on the covers of lots of bronze and copper issues that have worse page quality. I am very picky on what I get, wraps need to be nice, if it’s signed the signature needs to be legible and not take away from the cover. I have learned to be very patient.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
As a GA collector the lowest grade I'll consider is Cream-OW, but my preference is always for OW, OW/W and White.

Note: Even though these are usually measurable via PQ grading scale the difference between OW and White can be subjective as pulp paper quality is rarely 100% bone white, even at publication. Aging paper below OW is much easier to define. The rare exceptions are Fox books in theblate forties when Victor Fox co-owned a printing plant and used recycled pulp paper that came out in colors (usually pink or blue). This pulp paper was of such poor quality that even OW examples can verge on brittle. Of coarse, this probably more info than anyone wanted to know!

Happy turkey day everyone!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
White pages on a lower grade book adds no desirability factor. As long as it's not brittle (brown) or knocking on the door of being brittle, I disregard the color.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I am fine with OW on most comics from the mid to late 70's and 1980's. I had an FF Annual #17 that I bought a couple of years ago and it was NM 9.4/9.6 but had cream color pages and it stood out in a bad way so I had to upgrade. I have an FF #159 where pages are OW/Cream and I am OK with it, but like others have said, it is about how it presents.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
silver and up ...OW/W
GA Cr/OW if high grade...OW if mid grade...unless key, then all bets r off and I adjust FMV based on page quality
Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Today's off white is tomorrow's white and next week's off white to white. Page quality designations, especially from the cgc, are mercurial at best.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I buy the most brittle books sometimes. If I am getting it slabbed, I don’t care a bit.
Although the bits of brown paper that accumulate in the bottom of the slab are slightly irritating.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I buy the most brittle books sometimes. If I am getting it slabbed, I don’t care a bit.
Although the bits of brown paper that accumulate in the bottom of the slab are slightly irritating.

I hope I was supposed to laugh about that, because I did.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer better page quality, but it’s not a deal breaker. The way I look at it, with proper storage, full back and and micro chamber paper, any book in my collection will not get substantively worse than when I obtained it.

For silver age or older, cream or better is fine.

For bronze, ow or better. Although, I will bend the rules for really tough bronze books like 30 and 35 cent variants. Can’t be too picky with those.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
upgrading is always an.option as well.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598060 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?