Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

eBay Sellers...BUSTED AGAIN7857

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
I was busting some really nasty eBay sellers back in early 2018...apparently the nastiness continues.
You can search the CBCS forum archives for my laundry list of fraud sellers.

Be sure to block:
Mugen_z

He listed an X-Men #1 as authentic/original/unrestored ...
I was concerned with trimming, in this thread:
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/7842/page/1/trimmed-or-untrimmed-opinions-needed/#22

...but after I did some deeper investigative work, I found an archive of his original purchase in 2014, where the book was CGC slabbed as 8.0 Restored.

Detecting professional slight color touch, pieces added, and cleaning via online photos is difficult so once I got past the trimming aspect I was able to put two & two together...

...oh and he decided to fraud flip a book with a UNIQUE DATE STAMP...WHAT THE FAIL

Here's the photo from the listing:

Here's the photo of me BUSTING him:

The saddest part is when you tell the person you are spending a portion of your life savings on this book for your collection, and they continue to run wild with a "sellers" story...just to instantly cancel the transaction when I linked the photo via message.

RIP Stan Lee
Happy Veteran's Day
Good Night!
Post 1 IP   flag post
and of course, he relists it as authentic/original/unrestored just now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-1963-Marvel-1st-Magneto-Cyclops-Iceman-Beast-Angel-Stan-Lee/202500761360?hash=item2f25fc6710:g:V2kAAOSww7tb5xKb:rk:1:pf:0

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD

I created a fraud case already, which they are investigating, but any additional reports help speed up this process.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Good catch
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hey @poka, I haven't been on the forum much lately but good to see you again.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Hey @poka, I haven't been on the forum much lately but good to see you again.

Cheers, I actually reached out to the seller sending a pic of the CGC book and asked him whether it is the same book.

His reply

“The book that I'm selling was given to me by my late uncle. I'm not a collector myself but I'll ask my aunt if she knows how the book was obtained

I'm going to look into tomorrow by asking my aunt. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I've ended the listing in the meantime”
Post 5 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
big whoop. my sister's cousin's brother from another mother's side of the family uncle's 3rd son's kid gives me stuff like this all the freaking time. i can tell you that one time on a monday a few years back in the last decade was the first time he gave me that one book he claimed was a 9.8 and told me to ignore that one huge missing chunk in the back. whats the big deal?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nice work @poka! Vigilante Justice!

The silliest part of his scam is you can search his feedback and see that he's sold several X-Men #1s...and tons of other collectibles...not a collector aye?!

I just feel bad for the people he duped.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you are an expert at catching these things and the seller has a return policy (and you care if it was trimmed or restored) you should only buy graded slabs that have been inspected for such things buy a third party you trust.

Too much money at risk.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Esco private msg quote post Address this user
Any of them for sale please contact me at escodarpablo@gmail.com thank you.
Paul J. GIRAGOSIAN
Post 9 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
you know, come to think of it, i could've sworn to have seen his name popped up somewhere pulling the same crap and blamed it on someone else.

and you know he is going to do the same thing again down the line to some poor person.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Esco lol? Welcome to the forums? Did you read the thread?

@JustThatGuy I know, it's awful. I would of left him negative feedback if I could. He's pond scum.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
This same thing happened to me back in '14. I was a newb to collecting and buying big book$ and ended up winning a Hulk 181 auction from a seller with 100% positive feedback. It appeared to be higher grade.

I went so far as to have it signed by Lee, Trimpe, Wein, Romita and then the CGC. It came back 8.0 RESTORED with slight color touch. I was pissed, devastated, etc. I immediately reached out the seller BEETLEBLUECAT from NY, NY and never got a response. Opened a case but too much time had elapsed so I was stuck.

Did more searching into his history and found a slew of purchased CGC PLOD books and yep, there was an 8.0 PLOD just a few months prior to the auction I won.

Just goes to show that slabbed books are the closest thing to a "guarantee" and raw books should be skepticised with extreme prejudice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Odins_Raven Well said sir, and agreed. I think it's easy to catch these guys in fraud when you are their polar opposite, an overly honest person. I wonder if many of these guys got scammed themselves, then turned to the dark side? Or someone taught them the evil ropes...either way, I will always work to expose them when I can because it literally makes me sick to my stomach.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man Nice detective work. What a scum bag.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Very good detective work done here.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Great job. Now to get him perma-banned from eBay.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I suppose the real lesson here is just because someone's eBay account is 18 years old & they have hundreds of 100% feedback, it doesn't mean you can trust them...it could mean they are a seasoned scammer.

Protect yourself(unravel the HISTORY of the book):
+Ask them how they got the book
+Ask them why they are selling the book
+Ask them if they own a collectibles business with a store (facebook/instagram/website/address)
+Check their recent sales (sometimes the same book gets relisted over and over, when someone else discovers it's a scam...as we saw here)
+Request additional photos of the front, back, centerfold, inside cover spines (WITH flash)
+Check the feedback they have as a Seller, Buyer, and Feedback Left for Others

Reduce your risk/stress:
+Returns offered (no case hassles)
+Thousands of positive feedback (NOT hundreds)
+Pay via eBay/PayPal (NOT friends & family)

These are just some basic guidelines I try to follow as a comic buyer (as well as many other things), but sometimes I get suckered because I'm a trusting/honest person. When that happens just make sure you have a back-door out of the situation, scammers win when they trap you and you have to fight your way out because most of the time the stress/effort will make you give up. As most of us are knuckle-dragging mouth-breather comic geeks, we don't like the sun, we don't like conflict, we want to hide in our rooms and read our books. When mom says "dinner is ready"...we say "5 more minutes". The last thing we are thinking about is the intricacies, tactics, and mannerisms of scammers.

We want to be the HEROs we read about, but in the real world the villains are behind a computer screen...and our KAAAA POWS! are done via keyboard...
Post 17 IP   flag post
600777 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?