Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Pressing/Cleaning/Grading Question7790

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up this Green Lantern 11 recently. The price was cheap at $200, it's signed by Martin Nodell and one of the panels (last picture below) made me laugh - it's a line that could only be written during the war.

I've never done pressing and dry cleaning before, so I was hoping for some advice. Will it remove pencil marks like the ones in the second, third and fourth picture? Also, if you notice the white spots on or above the shoulders of the bad guy in the foreground, I THINK those are material stuck to the cover, rather than material removed (holding it up to the light and looking at the inside of the front cover, there's no sign of "thinness" that you would expect if part of the cover was scraped away). If that's correct, will dry cleaning remove something like that? Lastly, how well will pressing fix that spine roll?

I'm thinking this book would grade at 3.0 or 3.5 as is. Bottom left of back cover is my shadow, not a stain. Would love to hear other opinions and how much improvement I should reasonably expect out of cleaning and pressing.

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
2.0-2.5 with the writing and stains.

The pencil can be removed but against yellow ink is dangerous and can easily rub off color. Probably best to leave it be considering the age and overall condition of book. It does have a spine roll, which can be corrected but only if the spine is healthy enough for it and no serious spine splits. Can't really tell from the provided photos. Same for the white near bad guy. It looks like tape pull or lifted ink, unfortunately.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
as is, 2.5 - 3.0 range I'd say.
Post 3 IP   flag post
596795 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?