Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeWant to Buy

The “Well, Now I Want One” Thread7762

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
We all have our high priority “Want” list of keys, but I’m wondering about books you didn’t know existed until recently?

New or old books or collectibles that just escaped your notice, but once you knew about them, you said “oh, I need that”.

My goal is that hopefully someone on the the board has one sitting in one of their long boxes and a deal or trade could be made.

Anything come to mind?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Aliens/Predator Deadliest of the Species Silver Ashcan. Frankly, I assume they stored all of these in the same place they put the pixies, unicorn horns, and Jimmy Hoffa; but I've seen photos of them, so I'm semi-convinced they actually exist. I just can't seem to find one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
I need a copy of the FREE COMIC BOOK DAY edition of Blinth #4 from Scattered Comics (May 5th, 2018)

Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Aliens/Predator Deadliest of the Species Silver Ashcan. Frankly, I assume they stored all of these in the same place they put the pixies, unicorn horns, and Jimmy Hoffa; but I've seen photos of them, so I'm semi-convinced they actually exist. I just can't seem to find one.

I HAD a signed Gold foil, but it was sold when I was clearing out a lot of my moderns a year or so ago. If I run across one, I’ll definitely grab it & give ya a heads up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
For me it’s Halloween II: The Blackest Eyes, Blue Foil.

Only 200 were printed & VF copies go for around $200.

It’s not a high priority (especially at that price) but it’s such a cool oddity, I’d love to trade for one.

Post 5 IP   flag post
@00slim There is a guy here in Houston with a huge horror book collection he's slowly offloading. I scored a signed copy of The Hellbound Heart & The Scarlet Gospels (Clive Barker) from his novels & the LE #1 cover of the DC/Wildstorm Nightmare on Elm Street from his stash. I'll see if he's gotten to the point where he's willing to part with his comics, and see if he's got one in there. Next day off is Friday. Will keep you posted.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@BabaLament Much appreciated.

There’s a red foil also (limited to 500) but the edition size of the blue foil has the collector in me much more interested in the 1/200.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@00slim ...I didn't ask about the red foil. I did ask about the blue foil. He's sending it USPS; so I'll have it in hand between Monday and Wednesday. I'll send you some photos & see if it meets your standards.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
OK, this thread sounds interesting. Below I've posted a book that was once considered so rare that it was a "no show" (blank image) in Ernie Gerber's classic Photo-Journal of Comics. Out of curiosity I started researching the book as Prize had an interesting line-up of characters and great art overall. When I finally learned of it's existence and had an opportunity to see a copy of the book up close, I was blown away by the detailed cover art and dreamed of one day owning a copy.

Jack Binder's cover for PRIZE Comics #20 is one of his best and in my estimation, one of the greatest GA covers of all time. Oddly, this particular issue apparently didn't sell especially well, perhaps because ...having just entered WWII the month prior to this issue hitting the newsstands... the cover's majestic theme reflected national pride rather than anger and action. At least, that's my best guess.

The cover's detailed city-scape and celebratory parade of the publisher's featured characters looks fabulous in retrospect. OTOH, it's lack of an audience at that particular moment in time may be the reason there are only four total copies of PRIZE Comics #20 in the CGC census, just two of those are in high grade, my copy being one of them.

At Chicago Wizard last summer my dream finally became a reality. This PRIZE became a real prize, and IMO, it's worthy of a shout-out and a toast...

That scan was edited while my Prize was still in the CGC slab (in that holder the comic was under more tight restraint than poor ol' Frankenstein in the second car). As a result, I had to juice the color and highlights a bit because of the depth of the holder rim and darkness of the image.

Just got this regraded and here's the same book in the much cooler CBCS holder with no color boosting needed:

Hey, don't panic, there are at least three other copies out there!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Very nice book! As noted, an impressive amount of cover detail for a GA book; and lots of color! My opinion, to date, has been that GA book covers were kind of boring; this is far from it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@BabaLament He had one? Crazy. Now we gotta figure something out.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@00slim
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I wanted one of these once I discovered it existed, but I don't really search for it nor do I want to pay top dollar.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I wanted one of these once I discovered it existed, but I don't really search for it nor do I want to pay top dollar.

Can you elaborate? What is it, exactly?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Can you elaborate? What is it, exactly?

A rare comic featuring Marvel & DC comic characters from 1978. It also features early work by Kurt Busiek & Scott McCloud.

I can't find the original blog post that sparked my interest, but here is a page that explains it.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/POW!BIFF!POPS!.php
Post 15 IP   flag post
@X51 Unicorn horns! I have tomorrow off, and I'm going to go around and scour the obscure indie bins around town to try and find one of these. Since it was a Boston-centric item, I don't know if any would have made their way down here, but I have a hunch on a spot that might have one. If they do, I'll let you know.
Post 16 IP   flag post
That site estimates 12 are floating around in collections.

There is one other thing I want. Supposedly a wrestling magazine from the 90's features a cartoon with Broadway Comics' Fatale character in it. Doug Sulipa said he checked his inventory and didn't find it. I don't know the magazine name or the issue month/year. I just know it's a wrestling magazine.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That site estimates 12 are floating around in collections.

There is one other thing I want. Supposedly a wrestling magazine from the 90's features a cartoon with Broadway Comics' Fatale character in it. Doug Sulipa said he checked his inventory and didn't find it. I don't know the magazine name or the issue month/year. I just know it's a wrestling magazine.

Google brought up this. Might be a fun read for ya:

http://jimshooter.com/2012/01/traci-adell-wwf-fatale-on-tv-and-web-of_06.html/
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Deadliest of the Species Silver

MyComicShop says the Silver Foil was limited to 1000 copies. Might be why it’s a tough book to find.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@00slim Yeah, I know. I've only seen one in person, and that was in the early 90's. My dad would talk with the owner of the comic shop while I poked around. The owner was really cool, looked kind of like the old man herbalist at the end of The Princess Bride. He would give away stuff with people's orders; it was a special "thank you for your business" kind of thing. That's how I got the red ashcan. I remember he had the gold & silver ones on the wall behind the counter. First, last, and only time I've seen the silver.

Which is weird. I mean, finding rare stuff is what comic collectors are good at! Finding the good stuff is what we *do*. Even weird, region specific stuff isn't exactly hard for us to find; if I can get my hands on an Australia Comic Con Exclusive copy of ASM #1 (3rd Series, 2nd Printing), an ashcan shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility.

Alas, to date...no luck
Post 20 IP   flag post
@BabaLament True that. It’ll make it all the sweeter once ya find it!

In any case, I’ll keep my eyes peeled. 👍🏼
Post 21 IP   flag post
@00slim The Halloween book you're interested in just arrived! Gotta say, this is pretty cool. I'm more a Nightmare on Elm Street guy, but I could get into this. Let me know how you feel about it! The bag is kinda old, I'll re-bag it & take cleaner pictures if you want.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Looks fairly sharp. A couple (expected) flaws, Is the back as nice? PM me what ya want for it & we can work out a deal.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@00slim Back is clean. The gnarly bag was setting off my OCD, so I re-bagged it. Looks much better.

Post 24 IP   flag post
601353 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?