CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

2018 Holiday Gift Exchange7757

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I don't think anyone needs to feel bad about what they sent. We had a guideline and some were feeling generous. There's nothing wrong if you stayed to the guide or if you went over.

Having said that, if people think that increasing the guide amount is a good idea, we can do that next year. What would you all like to see as a "suggested amount"? If we had said it was $25 or $30 would some people not have joined this year? I'm just here to facilitate the thing. If the majority want to change something, we can do it.

I think "forcing" a raise is dangerous. 20.00 keeps it nice and fun. If I'm in a great mood that day and feel like adding some extras, then great. But once everyone feels like it's about keeping up with the jones', the entire premise of the event is lost. I still have all my kids 2.00 gifts they picked out for me because they mean something. I dont remember the big gifts over the years from others. Give what you can because it feels good , take part because it's fun and never ever feel badly about taking the time to think of, look for, wrap and mail a gift out of kindness (regardless the value).

That's the perfect response in my opinion!! I hope everyone feels this way!!
Post 151 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I think "forcing" a raise is dangerous. 20.00 keeps it nice and fun. If I'm in a great mood that day and feel like adding some extras, then great. But once everyone feels like it's about keeping up with the jones', the entire premise of the event is lost. I still have all my kids 2.00 gifts they picked out for me because they mean something. I dont remember the big gifts over the years from others. Give what you can because it feels good , take part because it's fun and never ever feel badly about taking the time to think of, look for, wrap and mail a gift out of kindness (regardless the value).

That's the perfect response in my opinion!! I hope everyone feels this way!!

Yes, I agree. Another great aspect of this particular Secret Santa is that we are all collectors. And so we all pretty much have cool items to give already at hand. (I know some people shopped around and ordered items; but I just dug through my collection of ~7000 comics.) I maybe went over the limit a bit in terms of value, but for cost? I bought one item 30 years ago (and got it slabbed a year ago) and another six months ago (raw). So I was only out of pocket - this week - for the shipping.

The fun part was coming up with different ideas and deciding between them.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Watcher and @Tedsaid. I think as long as you keep it in reason. I did what Tedsaid did. I dug through over 5000+ books from the collection and had fun finding some nice clean copies of books that I had more than 1 of and fit what the person liked. I think this has been the funnest thing on this forum. I like that it has so far been a positive experience for all.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
I was just updated by USPS Tracking that -REDACTED- has received their Secret Santa package! 😃
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad my secret santa present was well received. Now the hard part: waiting for the UPS/FedEx/USPS guy! I have a bunch of stuff on order, so every day has been like Christmas this week.
Post 155 IP   flag post

Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
Got my Secret Santa gift today!!! I wept. This book has been on my list for so long. Opening it was like a movie moment. I would like to publicly wish my Secret Santa, the Merriest of Christmases.

Man, I will cry with you! Awesome!
Post 156 IP   flag post

So, my son Zach got his gift today. He was very excited! Way cool! Thanks Santa!
Post 157 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anyone needs to feel bad about what they sent. We had a guideline and some were feeling generous. There's nothing wrong if you stayed to the guide or if you went over.

Having said that, if people think that increasing the guide amount is a good idea, we can do that next year. What would you all like to see as a "suggested amount"? If we had said it was $25 or $30 would some people not have joined this year? I'm just here to facilitate the thing. If the majority want to change something, we can do it.

I thought I would chime in.

I don't like caps put on anything. I am fine if I receive something within a cap and that's what someone can do. The whole purpose of the exchange isn't about getting a present, but about the joy you can give someone else.

I didn't go out of pocket for anything, but as a collector, found things that meant something to me that I could pass on to a new home. When I dug through, it just happened to be a nice run that fit the recipients love of a character.

Being a part of this is two fold. Being a cheerful giver....and a grateful receiver. It's not a dollar value thing. It's a Christmas Thing. Merry Christmas, God Bless!
Post 158 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Guess what I got in the mail today?

Yes, there was no waiting to open it. All I can say is thank you so much, Mac! I was very specific about what I was looking for for, and you went out of your way to get stuff that I wanted. The Dave Stevens covers are absolutely beautiful and the X-Men fill a few more holes in my never-ending quest to complete my run. I will not forget your thoughtfulness, and I sincerely hope that you and your family enjoy the Holidays also. You have definitely brought me some Christmas cheer! Thanks again, Ed

Post 159 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Tedsaid. We are all collectors. We all know what its worth AND what it cost us. The fun part for me was getting someone who doesn't collect the same as me and having to go through my "treasure trove" to find something that he/she would like. I don't mind going over, because I don't have many friends who are collectors like me. This was an excellent idea and I look forward to this in the following years!! Merry Christmas all!!
Post 160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
I agree with @Tedsaid. We are all collectors. We all know what its worth AND what it cost us. The fun part for me was getting someone who doesn't collect the same as me and having to go through my "treasure trove" to find something that he/she would like. I don't mind going over, because I don't have many friends who are collectors like me. This was an excellent idea and I look forward to this in the following years!! Merry Christmas all!!

Thumbs Up! Can't wait until next year....I have a whole year to plan.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
I missed out on this. I didn't enter and I am not sure why, but I have enjoyed the spirit of this event. Reading what everyone is saying and the excitement of what they are getting is my present this year.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
I mailed out my gift today. I too was paired with someone who's interests do not match mine. Hopefully, what I sent will be accepted in the spirit of the season and enjoyed. No matter what, this has been fun and I will definitely do it again next year! Thank you for putting this all together, Jesse_O!
Post 163 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Hats off to @Gotlift for hitting a homer in on this gift exchange! I love it!

Thanks man!

Post 164 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo
You’re very welcome my friend, and thank you for the holiday wishes! I had a blast going through the long boxes @ my lcs searching these books out. Plus it gave me a chance to appreciate the work of the late Dave Stevens, so I thank you as well for turning me on to his art. Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁
Post 165 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
santa assignment completed hope they like it
Post 166 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Realized I posted in new to your collection instead of here, but these are new too so leaving both posts. haha.

Thanks secret Santa / Hanukkah Harry! These are freaking sweet. Sorry for glare. I don’t have the best lighting / area for pics at home. But these are awesome and that spidey print is signed!

Post 167 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, Mr @antoniofett totally knocked it out of the park for me. James Tinion and Tom King in Klingon! These are going on the wall in the bar 🍻

There was a family Christmas card as well, much appreciated! Wasnt sure about making it public though, so left it out of the pics just in case
Post 168 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer glad they will be proudly displayed above your bar, next time I’m in CT, I’ll have to check it out!
Post 169 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Antoniofett Glad you liked it.
Merry Christmas
I didn’t know much about Green Lantern but I really enjoyed the hunt.I’m curious now I guess I’ll have to check him out.
This has been fun. Thanks Jesse_O
Post 170 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
@shrewbeer glad they will be proudly displayed above your bar, next time I’m in CT, I’ll have to check it out!

Absolutely; if you’re in NE CT, drinks are on the house. Just shoot me a PM
Post 171 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
“You will take what I give you, and you will like it”. Saying it for a friend
Post 172 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Holy Christmas Presents, Batman! I just got my Secret Santa gift today and it's FANTASTIC! I have a guess who it is, but I'm not sure, but THANK YOU!!

Here's what I love about this gift: the Secret Santa put some thought into it and gave me a variety of really cool stuff to try. The Walking Dead: New World Order 1, 2, and 3, for example ... I love the show but have read very, very few of the books. So here I can start a series in that world and see if I like it. Same for the new Brave and the Bold (which looks awesome) and the Bronze/Copper age beauties for Green Lantern and Superman. I've never read anything Thanos, so now I get to try that, too.

And the Doctor Strange by Donny Cates! Very excited for these, as he's a great writer I've just discovered, and very funny. I picked up one of the Doctor Strange comics he wrote, one of the last of the run before the recent reboot, with Spider-Man in it, and it was HILARIOUS. So these are on my list to buy now, the whole Donny Cates run and I didn't have these ones yet. And Cerebus is a classic parody comic I'm looking forward to trying - can't believe I've never read it - and I would guess Obnoxious the Clown is definitely in the vein of Ambush Bug, so I'm going to read that one right away, too.

But the best, the cream of the crop, the Big Enchilada is this: Superman #243 with a classic Neal Adams cover that I love. This is a Bronze Age beauty from 1971 (the year I was born) ... A beautiful 9.0 or 9.2 I think, with a press. Which I will do, but I'm gonna read it first, very carefully. (It looks torn here, but that's just the shipping stickers on the plastic bag.)

So, yeah ... Another home run for Secret Santa this year. THANK YOU!!!

Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user

Sorry for the late upload of the pictures I received mine a few days ago wasn't able to take pictures until now I sent mine out Friday p.s thanks secret Santa for the really awesome books
Post 174 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
@Mountie73

Just wanted to say that you are wonderful. Opened the package this weekend and holy moly was it awesome!

I'm a doof and didn't snap pics but will do and get them up later this week! THANK YOU!
Post 175 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Santa!!

How cool are these figure covers? I love how random the universe is, these are two books that I don't have and that makes this extra special to me.

Many thanks, and a merry Christmas to all of you!

Post 176 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid
There's a few more gems in there, in case you weren't aware: DKM #2 is the true 1st appearance of Batman Who Laughs (came out same day as TT12 and is before it in the story as well, and Snyder agrees), GL38 is 1st red tide, Tales GL #1 is 1st Arisia, Thanos 16 is orgin of Cosmic Ghost Rider.

I know you saw the before and after clean/press of that Supes book, so figured it would be a dead giveaway anyways.

As for the unbagged books - I've been packing all my sold stuff lately with random stacks of reader books off my overflowing nightstand lol, they make for good outside buffer and people seem to appreciate them!

Merry Christmas Ted
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism Nice books! I wonder why Flash Thompson gets the call out on Venom: Space Knight, but Mac Garagan doesn't get any sort of billing other than "monstrous". Kinda weird.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I gotta say, this has been fun!!! It's great to see what everyone has gotten and sent!! Thank yyou all for being so cool about this!!

If anyone is still waiting to ship or to receive a package yet, please drop me a pm. I just want to make sure that everything goes smooth.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jesse_O,
I'm still waiting for mine.

Rafel.
Post 180 IP   flag post
597898 214 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?