Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Batman the Animated Series Blu Ray Unboxing7747

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I just got this guy in from Amazon and I thought I’d show everyone what came inside!

Firstly, you’ll notice this is labelled as the “Deluxe Limited Edition.”. There is no actual standard edition available, unless you count the digital-only version. As for limited, it was originally supposed to be limited to 30,000 copies but due to demand was increased to nearly 70,000 (69,048 according to the numbered edition sticker on the back)

When you open the outer box you get the three mini Funkos, an envelope filled filled 3D Cards and a separate box with the peat and potatoes, the discs

The Funkos are a waste. Even if I did like Funkos they’re disappointing since they don’t even resemble the iconic art style of the show. I’d rather they weren’t included and have the set be $5 cheaper.

Next are the 3D Art Cards. On one side they have character art from the show in 3D and on the back they have painted backgrounds. They’re attractive but not terribly special. They could be neat to have signed by the cast and put into an ART case though...

Finally the discs themselves. They’re in an attractive book, which is probably my favorite style of holder for a set like this. The series itself is spread across 9 discs and includes the original Animated Series/Adventures of Batman & Robin as well as the New Batman Adventures (when the art direction took a radical change after the Superman Animated series debuted, though none of the art from this era is used on any of the packaging). These discs all reproduce the features and commentaries from the original dvds.

New Special Features are included on disc 10 and comprise of a featurwtte on the show’s creators and another with Paul Dini discussing Harley Quinn.

The last two discs are the previously available blu-Rays for the Mask of the Phantasm and SubZero animated films. It’s a little funny that since SubZero was previously available, its special features include episodes of the animated series available elsewhere in the set (plus an episode of Batman Beyond). It’s a shame they didn’t include all the movies (likely because they’re not yet available on blu ray). It’s understandable why Return of the Joker wasn’t included since it’s technically a Batman Beyond film butI would’ve loved to see World’s Finest and Mystery of the Batwoman included.

The final item included is a code to redeem a digital copy of the tv series, but not the movies, in standard definition.

Overall, it’s a lovely set. Whether it’s worth the current $112 asking price is up to you. I would’ve preferred they do away with the cards and the funkos and invest in more new bonus features or include the two missing movies. If you already own the previous sets, there isn’t a ton of new material here. If you don’t, then it’s a great way to get the whole series in one go. Given the significantly increased print run, I can see this being available a bit cheaper if you are willing to wait.
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also ordered this!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector canadianryan private msg quote post Address this user
Ordered this too! What type of digital copy does it include? iTunes?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i have the dvd boxed sets from toys r us they were $6.99 each
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianryan
Ordered this too! What type of digital copy does it include? iTunes?
It’s a VUDU code
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Are the actual episodes cleaned up?
Post 6 IP   flag post
It’s hard to find an official source right now but I kept hearing that they did a 2K scan of the original film elements.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Nice to see your box came in good condition. Mine looked like it was run over by a truck. :-(
Post 8 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I'll take the VUDU code
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
would pay you 5 for the pops!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
It’s hard to find an official source right now but I kept hearing that they did a 2K scan of the original film elements.

I made a small comparison of the first 3 episodes to my old dvd box sets. The episodes look sharper with stronger color and better blacks.

The audio upgrade is nice too. The voices are cleaner and the low end seems a bit more pronounced for explosions and with the soundtrack.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
would pay you 5 for the pops!
I’ll have to think about it. While I’m no fan of Pops, the collector in me has to keep things together lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
I just got the following email from VUDU along with a new VUDU code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUDU email
“We're happy to confirm that we've worked with Warner Bros Home Entertainment to upgrade your SD quality digital copy of Batman: The Complete Animated Series to HDX quality. We've also included the animated movies, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero in HDX as a bonus.”
Post 13 IP   flag post
601275 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?