Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Storage Question7733

Collector silverage1375 private msg quote post Address this user
This has probably been asked and answered before, but I don't see it. Can storing high value, graded books lying flat in a safety deposit box damage the books long term? I think that the slab should prevent potential damage, but nice to get more expert advice. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I can't say for certain but I believe slabs are designed to sit upright. I dont know if lying them flat damages books but the beleif that slabs are designed to sit in the upright position makes me think thats how they should be stored.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Seeing as how it is a rigid case, I would tend to believe that storing it horizontal would be okay as long as no significant weight is placed on top of it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I could swear that someone here stated that they stacked their slabs (it was less than 10 high) and the bottom one cracked. I can't find it, so I'm not sure of the specifics. Hopefully this comment will jog someone else's memory.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I could swear that someone here stated that they stacked their slabs (it was less than 10 high) and the bottom one cracked. I can't find it, so I'm not sure of the specifics. Hopefully this comment will jog someone else's memory.

It would be helpful if someone can confirm the above.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This has been much discussed since shortly after CGC opened their doors in 2000. I'm unaware of any actual scientific long term study. I've also never seen say a CGC moderator come in and answer the question.

There are knowledgeable collectors that swear by storing slabs flat or on their sides. There are knowledgeable collects saying store them upright like we know is overall best for bagged and boarded books is best The logic of the store flat or on sides crowd was that gravity - weight of the book - pushed it down against the...what do you call them..notches that are on each corner of CGC slabs. First off, that seems unlikely - comics don't weigh much but maybe... But for this forum, CBCS doesn't have those notches on the edge. It's a tapered seal equal distance all around the book. The books edges - all the edges - are up getting equal pressure from any gravity/weight of book.

I believe it probably doesn't matter AS MUCH with slabbed books if upright, on sides or flat. With Flat it does make some sense that if the stack gets to high or heavy you are putting a lot of weight on the bottom slabs. Stored on the sides or upright, there is never more than the weight of a single slab for any slab to contend with. Stacked flat clearly books on the bottom are bearing more weight.

I'm fairly certain that most damage to books professionally encapsulated are result of being handled, not from how stored. Just sayin....

I think it's worth pointing out that the storage boxes licsensed/sold by CGC (did CBCS ever get around to selling their own boxes)? Saw them listed once as "coming soon..." are all designed for upright storage. And people that display their comics are displaying them upright 99.9% of the time.

I store my slabs upright in the boxes made for slabs. It seems the most logical and likely best for the books because of reasons listed above. No extra weight on any slab.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

Found it in this archived thread.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you, Jesse O - I appreciate you taking the time to find that! I currently have just four in a Safety Deposit box at the bank (an AF 15 among them), but this has been bothering me since I put them there. I won't add any more and might put a piece of bubble wrap at the bottom of the stack and in between them, but not all around them so they can still "breathe". I think the largest size box they have available would allow them to go in sideways which might be better.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had slabs stacked 15 high with additional weight on top for months and I haven’t seen any significant wear much less cracks on the cases. Of course, I won’t advocate that this is the ideal way to store books but I don’t think your slabs are in mortal danger if you store them laying down
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I’ve had slabs stacked 15 high with additional weight on top for months and I haven’t seen any significant wear much less cracks on the cases. Of course, I won’t advocate that this is the ideal way to store books but I don’t think your slabs are in mortal danger if you store them laying down

especially just 4 of them
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I only keep mine in graded comic book boxes. That's what I bought them for.

Post 11 IP   flag post
That's fine, but a comic storage box won't fit in a bank safety deposit box.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverage1375
That's fine, but a comic storage box won't fit in a bank safety deposit box.

Right, so to answer your question maybe CBCS has to weigh in here....also consider the environment/climate in the safety deposit box vault itself...i.e. humidity levels etc. I'd notify your bank that you have valuable paper product that is dependent on paper quality.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I spoke to the bank manager when I rented the box. Pretty sure the climate control is fine in their vault, but that is a very good point. I'm sure I'm not the only person that has some expensive books (and other paper items) that they would rather not keep at home. Would love to hear from some of them and someone from CBCS as well as you suggest.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

The last CBCS submission I recieved was a stack of 15 slabs. There was no damage to any of the cases and I kept them stacked flat like that for maybe two days.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I don't stack more than 4-5 slabs anymore, and not more than a couple for any extended length of time. Honestly, I don't know why the slab cracked...i can say a large crack did not exist when I got it. But it may have had a small flaw in it that I didn't notice which was compromised after I stacked them. I highly doubt what happened to me is the norm...but stacking slabs just seems like something you generally want to avoid.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Get collectibles insurance. Store your slabs properly.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Kaptainmyke, that is one of the reasons that I chose to get a safety deposit box. From the research that I have done, the companies that offer affordable collectibles insurance are hard to actually collect from if something happens. What company do you use?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Http://Www.Collectinsure.com
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Get collectibles insurance. Store your slabs properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverage1375
. . . From the research that I have done, the companies that offer affordable collectibles insurance are hard to actually collect from if something happens. . .

I was an insurance investigator before I went to Law School so here is my suggestion: If you get collectibles insurance, make sure that you know what kind of coverage you have and what documentation you will need to file a claim. The easiest coverage is usually a stated value policy but there are other policies you can get. You might be surprised at the number of people that don't understand what their policy covers and what proof and /or documentation they need to file a claim.
Post 21 IP   flag post
601200 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?