Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleFor SaleQuestionsSignatures

Ebay Pet Peeve7731

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So I am listing some books and I noticed that ebay made a change that I believe is counter-productive for sellers.

When making a new listing or building one from an existing template you need to make sure that the correct category is selected (ex. Collectible > Comic Book > Modern > Super-Hero > X-Men).

If you use the wrong category there is a better than even chance that your book will not show up in the results when a buyer does a search making it much harder to sell your book.

When doing a new listing or changing the category on your template, all of the item specifics are cleared and must be re-entered. You can either fill in the blanks for the preset items or add new items (as long as the title is different from the preset items).

Each blank you fill in is included in the listing while the others are not.

Until recently there was a preset item specific called "signed" where you could leave it blank, click yes, or click no. This is one of the seven item specifics I have been using for all of my listings (I put yes if it is signed, no if it is not).

Now ebay has a new item specific called "modified". They have linked it to the "signed" item specific so that you can not select "yes" or "no" under signed unless you first select "yes" under the new "modified" item specific.

Perhaps I am over-reacting but the last thing I would want to see in a comic listing as a buyer is language about the comic being modified. To me they may as well say that the book has been restored.

Am I crazy or is putting a yes under the "modified" item specific akin to a green or purple label?

Feedback on this one would be welcome.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
That sucks
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
if a book listed under "modified, signed" can be found when a buyer searches for signed books, I wouldn't see that as an issue
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
is the listing string used to to list a book visible to people buying?

If I was searching for a "modern, X-Men, signed book" would I not see your listing in search results (minus any verbiage to modified)?

Either way...as an eBay buyer of comics I know eBay is not strictly for comics so whatever "wordings" they use to categorize comics means less to me than the actual listing by the comics dealer.

If the new listing string would exclude your listing from my search results because of the inclusion of "modified" then I'd have a problem with that as a seller.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
For most listings I plan to use another listing in the same category as a template even though looking for said template adds time on task.

For categories without an existing template as a workaround I will add a category of "signature series" or "verified signature" while unsigned books will just not have that item specified.

I advised eBay to change it back but who knows if or when they will take my advice.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
if a book listed under "modified, signed" can be found when a buyer searches for signed books, I wouldn't see that as an issue

The issue is that many buyers would be turned off if a listing describes a book as "modified".

Perhaps it is a non-issue but the purpose of this thread is to answer that question.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Not the only change. They have also made a change for international shipping by amending all listing to ship via ebay’s Shipping program
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Not the only change. They have also made a change for international shipping by amending all listing to ship via ebay’s Shipping program

This is huge! My eBay purchases have dropped dramatically specifically for this reason. The GSP adds a large increase in the final price paid.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@GAC I have been busy starting to remove the option from my listings
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

Perhaps I am underestimating the impact of the increased costs but as a seller I love the global shipping program.

All U do is ship the book to Kentucky and eBay does the rest. I do not gave to understand the shipping and customs for every country on the off chance that someone from that country might buy one of my books.

I can't imagine the nightmare of having to reimburse dome buyer and eat the shipping cost both ways for a returned item.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49

The issue is that many buyers would be turned off if a listing describes a book as "modified".

Perhaps it is a non-issue but the purpose of this thread is to answer that question.

The book is modified, it has a signature on it. If that's the only modification, I fail to see the problem.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

Good to hear! it's a real concern (at least from Canadian buyers) because customs alone adds a significant cost. Before the GSP I'd be hit with customs maybe 1 out of 50 purchases...the GSP is 100% of purchases have customs. It's the reason I buy from retailer websites now and not eBay...I'll check out your eBay shop tho...what's your eBay link?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Good to hear! it's a real concern (at least from Canadian buyers) because customs alone adds a significant cost. Before the GSP I'd be hit with customs maybe 1 out of 50 purchases...the GSP is 100% of purchases have customs. It's the reason I buy from retailer websites now and not eBay...I'll check out your eBay shop tho...what's your eBay link?

Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/str/pokascomics

Shipping time to Canada is approx 1 week.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
ouch.. If that's the case I won't be buying from ebay anymore. GSP prices are insane
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
ouch.. If that's the case I won't be buying from ebay anymore. GSP prices are insane

eBay does not make it mandatory but they have changed the selling design template to include a button whether to opt in for GSP and all my listings were changed to opting in for GSP. I can opt out but will have to edit my listings. Annoying
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Another VERY annoying thing Ebay does is change your Listing to include "Best Offer" Then message you like they are doing you a favor. If I want the listing to include "Best Offer" I would have listed it that way. A huge waste of time havng to go back and re-edit the listings.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Another VERY annoying thing Ebay does is change your Listing to include "Best Offer" Then message you like they are doing you a favor. If I want the listing to include "Best Offer" I would have listed it that way. A huge waste of time havng to go back and re-edit the listings.

I have not had that happen to me yet but that would piss me off.

After experimenting with best offer early on I decided I want no part of it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
597891 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?