Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Daredevil Season 3 (spoilers)7680

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I gotta admit, I’m a bit burnt out on the netflix shows as anyone. I was a bit disappointed with season 2 of Jessica Jones, I saw most of but haven’t finished Luke Cage season 2, and haven’t even watched any of Iron Fist season 2. Even the premiere of Daredevil kind of snuck up on me.

I’ve just finished episode 2 and I’m quite enjoying it so far. I haven’t kept up with all the production news so I’m not 100% in the know of what the producers’ intentions are. That said, looking at the trailer and the first two episodes you can see a few things taking shape.

After the end of the Defenders Matt is severely injured to the point that his abilities are failing him, triggering a crisis of faith. Additionally, he has refused to go back to his friends because of all the turnoil his being Daredevil has brought into their lives. So Matt is alone spiritually and physically. Sounds like a Born Again setup to me. Additionally, it’s stated that it’s taking place weeks after the end of the Defenders, which helps it avoid the pesky issue of half the population disappearing at the end of Infinity War.

Fisk is starting to cut deals with the FBI to protect his wife/gf (I forget where they ended up) from prosecution for his crimes but after he is attacked in prison, uses it to get out of prison and into house arrest so he can keep on snitching. As he’s boing moved to the safehouse the FBI transport is attacked by a criminal organization in retaliation against Fisk. Fisk is saved by an FBI agent with incredible aim in an understated but still pretty cool introduction to the future Bullseye.

Of course with Bullseye around he eventually has to kill someone close to Matt and they already wasted Elektra’s death in season 2 so things aren’t looking good for Karen Page. The Netflix series unfortunately have a bad habit of killing off characters with great future potential like Ben Urich, Cottonmouth, and others. I personally think it’d be a shame to lose Karen so I’m kind of hoping they can make Bullseye threatening without throwing away a good character to do it.

A lot of potential for the season at this point. I hope it stays interest and hopefully they avoid the slog toward the end that these Netflix shows tend to suffer from
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly...I watched Daredevil and Punisher and loved both. Started on Luke Cage (which I thought should have combined in with Iron Fist...would have been a much stronger show) and just didn't get through the season (due to not having enough time)....I haven't seen Iron Fist (in my head, I can't see how this character translates to TV, but after Defenders I might go back and watch it) or Jessica Jones (Not much interest) yet. However, I thought "Hey, Daredevil Season 3! I'll watch that".....instantly...."What the hell is happening?!...I don't remember that building collapsing on him"

So now I've just started watching The Defenders so I can catch up on the story.

*rant*Just my observation so far...I still believe all of these shows should be self contained story arcs in a season that don't have cliff hangers. I mean, a show can be excellent in a self-contained run (the BBC has been doing it for decades)...Netflix needs to realize that this isn't network TV, you don't have to create a cliffhanger for people to come back and watch the show on the Netflix model. If a show is good, it's good. Having all these storyline jumps over seasons is poor writing. Defenders should have been a self contained story, not a story that extends the Daredevil/Electra story with other characters, because it essentially makes Daredevil Season 3, Season 4..."Oh no, is Daredevil dead?" it's not much of a cliffhanger when Season 3 is announced. Punisher crossed into Daredevil Season 2 and it worked, self contained...Punisher Season 1 self contained storyline....*end rant*
Post 2 IP   flag post
Just finished episode 8. It’s still very good so far. The first fight between Daredevil and the future Bullseye (or Agent Dex as he’s currently known) was really well done. I enjoyed how the fight choreography suggests that Daredevil is a superior hand-to-hand fighter but that Bullseye is dangerous when he gets his hands on something to throw.

While I’m enjoying this incarnation of the character I can see where some purists may take issue. In the comics Bullseye’s origins have been something of a mystery. In the show, they’ve tracked his origins back to his childhood. Ben Poindexter was orphaned at a young age and as a result has developed issues with empathy, abandonment, and rage. After one significant outburst in his youth he begins to see a therapist, who becomes a crutch he uses to suppress his violent tendencies. When she too passes away “Dex” pursues a rigidly structured lifestyle and work, eventually becoming a soldier and then an FBI sniper (which ties back to Season 1 where an Ace of Spades is seen in the bag of the unseen sniper that kills the witness Daredevil is trying to protect)

It’s not a bad way to approach the character but it does lack the mystery and the confident ego we see in the character in the classic stories. Of course, he hasn’t used the name Bullseye yet so the character still has space to develop.

This new take on Bullseye also serves to set him up as a foil to Daredevil, who was also orphaned young and had issues with anger growing up.

The other big presence this season is Wilson Fisk. I wasn’t a huge fan of the character’s appearance in season 1 as he was essentially a big baby with rage control issues but he is being played more as the ruthless, intimidating, and calculating manipulator I expect of the character. That said, the season relies on one trope that’s a pet peeve of mine and that’s the villain that has paid off whole city so he’s effectively omniscient. It might have added an element of omnipresent danger the first time you see it but it can too easily lead to some lazy writing since the villain ends up not having to work for anything. It almost becomes a given that of course he knows what is being planned against him. Fortunately the season doesn’t lean TOO heavily on such contrivances.

That said, season 3 ups the ante yet again on Daredevil’s now trademark one-take fight-scenes, this time expanding the scope beyond a set-piece fight into something incredibly impressive.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Did you see Roy Thomas?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I haven’t! I didn’t know to look for him. I haven’t finished the season though so maybe I’m not to that episode yet. I’ll finish up the season before going back with a list of easter-eggs and references
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished the season. Thought it was fantastic. There better be another season.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@moodswing Well it hasn’t been cancelled yet like Luke Cage and Iron Fist, so I take that as a good sign. I wonder if Netflix will replace them with another Marvel property or just stick with Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Punisher
Post 7 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
unless they cancelled the show for "Heroes for Hire" or maybe disney will do that for their streaming stuff
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I would assume if they planned on doing Heroes for Hire, they would have hinted at it after they cancelled Luke Cage. Still don't understand why they cancelled Luke Cage the same day as season 3 of DD.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Just finished season 3 and I think it’s probably the best season of the show so far! I’m still partial to the first few Punisher episodes of season 2 but it got kind of rough with the Elektra/Hand arc. I have criticisms (I’ve mentioned a few of them above) but they’re more nitpicky conpared to how much the season does well.

I think my biggest nitpick is that they gave Bullseye’s crippling to Fisk i stead of preserving the personal motivation Daredevil had in the comics. It’s obvious that they intend to bring Dex back as Bullseye proper but we’ll have to see how they turn him firmly against Daredevil as in this season he wasn’t so much against Daredevil as he was helping Fisk, and in the end had more of an antagonism with Fisk than Daredevil.

Looking ahead, I think with this season finished they’ve done all the major Frank Miller arcs; Man Without Fear, Elektra saga, and Born Again but there is still so much of the character and its history that has yet to be explored. What other stories and arcs could the show tackle? Maybe Potter, angry that Daredevil abandoned him to the FBI finally becomes the Gladiator? I think maybe we’ve had enough of Matt being wholly self-destructive as he was for seasons 2 and 3 and the end of this season does kind of show a more optimistic outlook. Maybe we’ll see some adaptation of Mark Waid’s run to accompany it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601201 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?